The Student Room Group

Nurse to Doctor. Possible?

Hello,
I am a 21 year old Scottish Mental Health Nursing student in my second year with the dream to one day become a doctor.
I left school with very average grades: Chemistry- B, Human Bio- B, English- C, Geography- C, Physics- C.
These grades were obtained simply by turning up to the exams and scribbling what I heard in class (between being the class clown) on a bit of paper.
Needless to say I underachieved at school and hugely regret the lack of effort I put into my exams.
My whole life people have told me I will never be able to do stuff, when I recently told my family that I would like to become a doctor they were of the opinion that it was 'impossible'.
This only motivates me more as I am a firm believer that nothing in life is impossible.
I am fully aware of the demands of not only the medicine course itself but also that of gaining the necessary requirements needed for entry.
I would appreciate any advice on the best way for me to go about making my dream of becoming a doctor a reality.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nurse2DocDream
Hello,
I am a 21 year old Scottish Mental Health Nursing student in my second year with the dream to one day become a doctor.
I left school with very average grades: Chemistry- B, Human Bio- B, English- C, Geography- C, Physics- C.
These grades were obtained simply by turning up to the exams and scribbling what I heard in class (between being the class clown) on a bit of paper.
Needless to say I underachieved at school and hugely regret the lack of effort I put into my exams.
My whole life people have told me I will never be able to do stuff, when I recently told my family that I would like to become a doctor they were of the opinion that it was 'impossible'.
This only motivates me more as I am a firm believer that nothing in life is impossible.
I am fully aware of the demands of not only the medicine course itself but also that of gaining the necessary requirements needed for entry.
I would appreciate any advice on the best way for me to go about making my dream of becoming a doctor a reality.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide
Graduate entry medicine is hardcore, a lot more competitive then undergraduate medicine, you need to look at the other applicants, look at their degrees, where they placed in their batches, and consider if you can compete with them. Also make sure you know why you want to be a doctor, I believe a lot of medicine applicants are in it to help people and they would get the same level of satisfaction, if not more, by becoming a nurse. I think you'll find that you can ascend to higher levels than a lot of doctors as a nurse, have your own practice and lead other people through being a nurse consultant.

The benefits of being a doctor are that you have more responsibility, can apply to more postgraduate roles, take a wider approach to treatment as you have medical knowledge that goes beyond your specialty, plus I think people respect doctors more than nurses, which is unfair but that's just how it seems to work. If you think those are good enough reasons to spend 4 extra years in medical school when you could be earning, having a social life and being involved with treating patients as a nurse then go for it.
Trollop, you don't need to rank yourself against others and their degrees. All you need is a 2:1. Simple as that! Then you go on to do the UKCAT/GAMSAT and try and get the best possible score you can in one of those. As a nurse you'll have a great wealth of experience in healthcare to discuss, and you'll know the role of a doctor from your interaction with them at work. Try and get time shadowing one or more if you can.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
If you finished your degree and wanted to continue in to study in Scotland it is very feasible.I start in Sept as a someone with a previous degree.All medicine courses in Scotland for those with a degree are 5 years and all require a 2.1.The fee situation in Scotland is actually really good.For the 5 year course it is £1820 for 1st to 4th year so roughly £7k and the nhs pays 5th year.You will also have access to student loan for living costs.If it is what you want to do then go for it!It has taken me 15 years due to illness affecting my schooling and standard grades and higher results which gave me no choice but to do a degree first.If anything it made me more determined and being a wee bit older and wiser is a good thing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lpo
If you finished your degree and wanted to continue in to study in Scotland it is very feasible.I start in Sept as a someone with a previous degree.All medicine courses in Scotland for those with a degree are 5 years and all require a 2.1.The fee situation in Scotland is actually really good.For the 5 year course it is £1820 for 1st to 4th year so roughly £7k and the nhs pays 5th year.You will also have access to student loan for living costs.If it is what you want to do then go for it!It has taken me 15 years due to illness affecting my schooling and standard grades and higher results which gave me no choice but to do a degree first.If anything it made me more determined and being a wee bit older and wiser is a good thing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply - not only has it given me hope but also inspiration and even more valuable information (everyone loves to know how hard something will hit their wallet! :P)
Congratulations in being accepted into med school, hard work pays off! I hope you enjoy your experience and become a great doctor in the future
Original post by MJK91
Trollop, you don't need to rank yourself against others and their degrees. All you need is a 2:1. Simple as that! Then you go on to do the UKCAT/GAMSAT and try and get the best possible score you can in one of those. As a nurse you'll have a great wealth of experience in healthcare to discuss, and you'll know the role of a doctor from your interaction with them at work. Try and get time shadowing one or more if you can.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks for the reply and the useful information :smile: You really helped to set my mind at ease and make me realise that I am not just being fanciful in wanting to pursue a career in medicine.
I can assure you that I will devote every fibre of my being to scoring as highly as I can when the time comes to sit a UKCAT/GAMSAT

Thanks again for the reply and I lol'd (as they say on the internet) at 'trollop' haha :biggrin:
Thanks for the reply and the useful information :smile: You really helped to set my mind at ease and make me realise that I am not just being fanciful in wanting to pursue a career in medicine.
I can assure you that I will devote every fibre of my being to scoring as highly as I can when the time comes to sit a UKCAT/GAMSAT

Thanks again for the reply and I lol'd (as they say on the internet) at 'trollop' haha :biggrin:

Haha, good luck! Look out for ForestCat on the forum, apparently (I only found this out recently!) she used to be a nurse and is now studying GEM :smile: I'll quote her here so she see's you...

Original post by ForestCat
x
Original post by MJK91
Haha, good luck! Look out for ForestCat on the forum, apparently (I only found this out recently!) she used to be a nurse and is now studying GEM :smile: I'll quote her here so she see's you...

I'll keep my eyes peeled :smile:
Original post by MJK91

I'll keep my eyes peeled :smile:

It is true, I've crossed to the dark side :wink:

I'll echo what everyone else has said, it certainly is possible.

Atm it's an idea to research requirements for universities so you have a general idea of where you can apply and what they need (ukcat, gamsat etc). But your main focus should be on getting a 2.1 or 1 (I take it you're doing degree not diploma). Placements etc require your focus to still be on nursing (although keep one eye on what the doctor does now and again).

I think you also need to decide when you're going to apply. I know another nurse (on the five year entry) who got in immediately after finishing her nursing degree. I myself had three years post qualification experience (2 when I applied). I think if you're applying during your final year I think it's important to be able to clearly explain your reasons for making the switch.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Atm it's an idea to research requirements for universities so you have a general idea of where you can apply and what they need (ukcat, gamsat etc). But your main focus should be on getting a 2.1 or 1 (I take it you're doing degree not diploma). Placements etc require your focus to still be on nursing (although keep one eye on what the doctor does now and again).

I think you also need to decide when you're going to apply. I know another nurse (on the five year entry) who got in immediately after finishing her nursing degree. I myself had three years post qualification experience (2 when I applied). I think if you're applying during your final year I think it's important to be able to clearly explain your reasons for making the switch.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am doing a degree however the uni I am at only offers a 3 year course in any nursing subject which ends in a basic degree.
If I do well in my final year ('well' meaning two merits in two modules and pass consolidation) I will receive a degree with distinction.
I take it I would then need to apply to do an hons in Nursing prior to applying to med school?
Good luck, it's actually people like you who will make the best doctors because you will have done the lower paid work and have the best patient care skills! Concentrate on getting a 2:1 or 1st and as much work experience as humanly possible! It's definitely not impossible and I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Original post by Physflop
Good luck, it's actually people like you who will make the best doctors because you will have done the lower paid work and have the best patient care skills! Concentrate on getting a 2:1 or 1st and as much work experience as humanly possible! It's definitely not impossible and I wish you the best of luck :smile:

I believe so too! The other advantage I feel I have is that there is nobody influencing my decision to want to become a doctor whereas some of the students who come straight from school may feel pressured into it from their parents, teachers etc.
Reply 13

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi ForestCat,

I was just wanted to know whether anyone who has managed to get on to the Medicine course doing the Postgraduate Diploma in Nursing or the MSc in Nursing by any chance? I'm interested in taking that route, however I haven't contacted any universities as of yet. My undergraduate degree was in Education and I managed to graduate with a 2:1 :smile:
Original post by paris19
Hi ForestCat,

I was just wanted to know whether anyone who has managed to get on to the Medicine course doing the Postgraduate Diploma in Nursing or the MSc in Nursing by any chance? I'm interested in taking that route, however I haven't contacted any universities as of yet. My undergraduate degree was in Education and I managed to graduate with a 2:1 :smile:

If you're sure you want to do medicine why bother with taking the time to study nursing?
Reply 15
Original post by moonkatt
If you're sure you want to do medicine why bother with taking the time to study nursing?

Hello MoonKatt,

It's something that I am considering in the near future. I Just wish to take the right step before I start any courses. My previous degree is an arts subject, so this limits me in a small way by sitting that daunting Gamsat. However, last year I randomly decided to sit the UKCAT with only 4 months revision and passed with a high score and that's when I decided to that maybe I could turn my dream into reality. I do wish to practice nursing for a year after I graduate with the Diploma or MSc in Nursing and then apply to medicine. Yes, it is a long route and a lot of hard work will be involved, but I am more comfortable with this route if it is possible to take :smile:
Original post by paris19
Hello MoonKatt,

It's something that I am considering in the near future. I Just wish to take the right step before I start any courses. My previous degree is an arts subject, so this limits me in a small way by sitting that daunting Gamsat. However, last year I randomly decided to sit the UKCAT with only 4 months revision and passed with a high score and that's when I decided to that maybe I could turn my dream into reality. I do wish to practice nursing for a year after I graduate with the Diploma or MSc in Nursing and then apply to medicine. Yes, it is a long route and a lot of hard work will be involved, but I am more comfortable with this route if it is possible to take :smile:

Ok, I don't know if the PGDip or Masters in nursing are qualifications that you can apply for GEM with, but others who read this may know. You'll be limited to places where you can apply for post grad nursing as your degree isn't in a science. Have you considered the undergrad degree in nursing? It takes a year longer, but the workload isn't as heavy as the post grad courses and you'll have a wider range of places to apply to, at the end of it, whether you have a bachelors degree or a masters will make no difference when starting as an NQ nurse.
Reply 17
Original post by moonkatt
Ok, I don't know if the PGDip or Masters in nursing are qualifications that you can apply for GEM with, but others who read this may know. You'll be limited to places where you can apply for post grad nursing as your degree isn't in a science. Have you considered the undergrad degree in nursing? It takes a year longer, but the workload isn't as heavy as the post grad courses and you'll have a wider range of places to apply to, at the end of it, whether you have a bachelors degree or a masters will make no difference when starting as an NQ nurse.

I've looked at Nottingham and enquired to them about graduating with an arts degree, they replied saying that I should consider applying to their course. They take students on with any degree providing they have a minimum of a 2:2 and have a genuine interest in nursing etc. I have considered the 3 year degree programme too as the PGDip or MSc programmes don't really do electives, so yes, I may take that route instead.
Original post by paris19
I've looked at Nottingham and enquired to them about graduating with an arts degree, they replied saying that I should consider applying to their course. They take students on with any degree providing they have a minimum of a 2:2 and have a genuine interest in nursing etc. I have considered the 3 year degree programme too as the PGDip or MSc programmes don't really do electives, so yes, I may take that route instead.

There's not enough time in the grad courses for electives tbh. Have you got any experience for your application? That's what you need to start working on, there's loads of threads about it in the nursing section of the site if you have a look :smile:
Original post by paris19
Hi ForestCat,

I'm not entirely sure that doing nursing would open many more doors in Medicine. The only one would be Kings. And TBH its all likely to have changed by the time you got there anyways.

Moonkatt has already offered some excellent advice. Mine would be that you sound more interested in nursing than medicine. Pursuing nursing would be far easier than medicine. But really you need to decide which you're actually interested in doing (they are vastly different careers, trust me) and pursue that one.

Latest