The Student Room Group

Why do so many people do this

Why do so many people choose to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A level?

So many of the top achievers in my selective school do this and they say they want to do engineering/biochem etc

Why is this such a popular route?? Is it the money/prestige or are they actually interested in science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
They're the best a levels to get into those routes? Therefore, the best a levels to get into the top universities. The a levels go well together, and are all well respected too.

That, and maths is life. (Serious here - when you do maths/FM/physics maths literally becomes your life)
Reply 2
Original post by aoxa
They're the best a levels to get into those routes? Therefore, the best a levels to get into the top universities. The a levels go well together, and are all well respected too.

That, and maths is life. (Serious here - when you do maths/FM/physics maths literally becomes your life)

Nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Why do so many people choose to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A level?

So many of the top achievers in my selective school do this and they say they want to do engineering/biochem etc

Why is this such a popular route?? Is it the money/prestige or are they actually interested in science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least for me, it was a combination of interest and wanting the best subjects to get into a STEM subject at university (which I wanted to do out of interest, not for the money). If I had done it purely for interest then I would probably have taken Geography or Product Design instead of Chemistry but in retrospect I'm glad I chose Chemistry - I really like it at A2.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
At least for me, it was a combination of interest and wanting the best subjects to get into a STEM subject at university (which I wanted to do out of interest, not for the money). If I had done it purely for interest then I would probably have taken Geography or Product Design instead of Chemistry but in retrospect I'm glad I chose Chemistry - I really like it at A2.

How did you find AS? I'm thinking of doing as chem with OCR and wondering how hard it is? How hard did you find it and what grade did you get?

Thanks for the reply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
How did you find AS? I'm thinking of doing as chem with OCR and wondering how hard it is? How hard did you find it and what grade did you get?

Thanks for the reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought AS was hard in comparison with my other subjects - I can't say I massively enjoyed it at AS but it was all right. I'm really enjoying A2 now though, even though it's a lot harder than AS (although nothing compared to Further Maths A2 lol). I got an A at AS and I'm hoping for an A* at A2. I think it's definitely worth doing if you want to go into a physical science.
Maths and Further maths are used in so many university courses it makes sense to study them at A-level.
Original post by aoxa

Second this, Maths is the only thing i know anymore. I think i might have mathematical tourettes at this point, yet i'm still failing in Further and Physics XD
Most well respected A levels.
Most interesting A levels.
They link with eachother.
They get you into good universities.
Most academic A levels.
Open lots of doors.
I do these plus biology.
It's just interest.

Quick Reply

Latest