The Student Room Group

Can I have some punctuation help please?

Hello! I am doing English Language (CiE) iGCSE which is very tough on any errors or mistakes with punctuation. Can you please help me by telling me if these examples or correct or incorrect?

implying all students are ‘spoilt’.
(Help: should the full stop come after the single quotation mark?)

When you mention that “Elsewhere in the world, students are fighting to stay alive, to save their homes from floods, to topple dictators, to live a free life.”, you suggest....
(Help: the quotation in speech marks from the article is a sentence so ends on a full stop but the quote is also the end of my clause, should the full stop, speech mark and comma be together (.",) )

Thank you!
From revisioner
Reply 1
Reply 2
Original post by revisioner
Hello! I am doing English Language (CiE) iGCSE which is very tough on any errors or mistakes with punctuation. Can you please help me by telling me if these examples or correct or incorrect?

implying all students are ‘spoilt’.
(Help: should the full stop come after the single quotation mark?)

When you mention that “Elsewhere in the world, students are fighting to stay alive, to save their homes from floods, to topple dictators, to live a free life.”, you suggest....
(Help: the quotation in speech marks from the article is a sentence so ends on a full stop but the quote is also the end of my clause, should the full stop, speech mark and comma be together (.",) )

Thank you!
From revisioner

You are correct in both of those instances.

In the first case, the full stop goes outside, since you are only using 'spoilt' as a quotation - the rest of the sentence is just as it would be.

In the second, the full stop appears in the quotation, so it must also appear when copied out - this is the same, regardless of the type of punctuation mark.

e.g.
This is shown where the author writes that 'It could have taken a great deal longer!', which highlights his anger at the situation.
Reply 3
Original post by gabby07
You are correct in both of those instances.

In the first case, the full stop goes outside, since you are only using 'spoilt' as a quotation - the rest of the sentence is just as it would be.

In the second, the full stop appears in the quotation, so it must also appear when copied out - this is the same, regardless of the type of punctuation mark.

e.g.
This is shown where the author writes that 'It could have taken a great deal longer!', which highlights his anger at the situation.

Thank you :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending