The Student Room Group

Do you pay into a pension?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Observatory
Personally I don't intend to buy an annuity at all. But the self-invested stock/bond split pension planners all seem to take 4% of the initial pot size in real terms as a perfectly fine withdrawal rate. Most of those pots have a lot left in them at death and many have a lot more in them than they started with - so a 2-4ppt premium for an annuity isn't unreasonable. Right now of course bonds are paying almost nothing while the stock market is skyrocketting, and annuity companies mostly invest in bonds, which is probably why inflation-adjusted annuities are often providing less than this amount.

I do sympathise with your position though. We don't get to choose (within reason) when we retire, and if you retire when the bond market is doing badly you can end up in a bad position.

Ultimately though I doubt people who earn £10k throughout their lives are going to need to worry. Their standard of living will be low but it will probably be entirely preserved in retirement by transfer payments anyway. It's people in the £20-30k band who I can see dropping suddenly into the £10k on retirement. This reform doesn't totally preserve a £30k income, but from my numbers, even with the returns halved the median income guy is getting £9k/year from the basic private pension, with any additional savings, home ownership, and basic state pensions adding up to something not that far removed.

Neither do I intend to buy an annuity, I have a SIPP and will use flexi drawdown. I can generate circa 5% income (dividends re mainly FTSE 100 companies) However really critical mass is needed, I did not use a SIPP until I got to over £80k as the £200 p.a. fee I pay needs to be reasonable in proportion to the income generated. But I am comfortable with pensions and have been dealing with them most of my working life- I know I have not yet saved enough, a large tranche of those who will fall within AE will think all is well when their savings are going to be woeful and generate far less than they imagine, with no IFA/professional input re their fund performance/ likely eventual income they are going to end up fairly unhappy.
Reply 21
Original post by Observatory
Personally I don't intend to buy an annuity at all.

Me neither. I agree that 4% is almost universally accepted as a safe rate and with consideration given to inflation. My plans are to pay off the house within the next 10 years, then save up in both non-pensionable and pension accounts to bridge the gap from early retirement to pension age. Currently contributing 11 + 5% into workplace scheme.
Having come out of low paid work into university i've not really made a plan for pensions yet. I know how much i want to save/invest/speculate from my wage but i suppose i'll need a realistic pension goal and then to move forth from there.
Original post by Reue
Are you one of these people? How do you feel about paying into something you won't be able to access for 40 years? Do you think you pay in enough/too much.. or is the whole thing just something we should ignore until we're in our 40s?

Lets hear your views/questions TSR!

I'm one of these people! I'm happy that I'm paying into a pension - I put in 4% and my employer puts in 8.5%, so it's quite a nice amount going into it each month. I don't really feel as though I'm 'losing' anything from my salary each month, it's like with the student loan, I just look at the bottom figure of what ends up in my bank account basically. I just hope the pension fund does me well over the years...!
Original post by Reue
No, most current pensions require you to contribute some of your salary into it.. which the employer then matches

Yup, you've got a 'sate pension' and then a 'stake holder' scheme. Where you pay a certain percentage into a private pension and then your employer matches that.

Which is what I have.
So out of interest then, as somebody who intends to be investing themselves anyway.. should i aiming to have the largest combined pension contributions possible or the minimum i can put in to get the maximum from my employer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending