The Student Room Group

Student loans in mixed generation hosuehold

My child, S, is currently looking at applying for university.
S lives with me and my mother. S's father lives in another household.
My mother has a workplace pension. I am disabled and have a low income.
Is my mother's pension included when applying for a means tested loan?
We live in my Mother's house not as tenants but as family, so have no rental agreement, but I pay 75% of the bills here. My mothers pension is significantly higher than my own earnings which are low. My mother has no parental responsibility for my child, but is my carer.
My child is also disabled, and I am their carer.
Original post by Lady Marcasite
My child, S, is currently looking at applying for university.
S lives with me and my mother. S's father lives in another household.
My mother has a workplace pension. I am disabled and have a low income.
Is my mother's pension included when applying for a means tested loan?
We live in my Mother's house not as tenants but as family, so have no rental agreement, but I pay 75% of the bills here. My mothers pension is significantly higher than my own earnings which are low. My mother has no parental responsibility for my child, but is my carer.
My child is also disabled, and I am their carer.

Hi there, Just to confirm your child is the one who is looking to attend university? You currently live in the same household as your Mother? Have you previously been married and are now divorced/separated? Thanks, Angela
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Just to confirm your child is the one who is looking to attend university? You currently live in the same household as your Mother? Have you previously been married and are now divorced/separated? Thanks, Angela

Hello. Yes, my 17 year old child (they/them) wants to attend university and is currently in the second year of A levels. I was married to their father, but have been separated and living apart for 9 years. My child has contact with their Dad, and he pays a small maintenance amount, but he and I do not speak and he will not respond to any requests for information. I had a restraining order against him but it has elapsed.
I live in a household with my retired mother and S. The house is my mothers and not mine.
Hello. Yes, my 17 year old child (they/them) wants to attend university and is currently in the second year of A levels. I was married to their father, but have been separated and living apart for 9 years. My child has contact with their Dad, and he pays a small maintenance amount, but he and I do not speak and he will not respond to any requests for information. I had a restraining order against him but it has elapsed.
I live in a household with my retired mother and S. The house is my mothers and not mine.

Hi there, To assess your son based on your income only we will require evidence of your marital status. As you are living with your mother a tenancy agreement and utility bills evidence unless in your name would not be accepted. Do you have any evidence from a solicitor confirming you are separated? Thanks, Angela
Hi there, To assess your son based on your income only we will require evidence of your marital status. As you are living with your mother a tenancy agreement and utility bills evidence unless in your name would not be accepted. Do you have any evidence from a solicitor confirming you are separated? Thanks, Angela

Hi, thanks. My child is non binary (they / them). I don't have a tenancy agreement, I live here as family, but I do have utility bills in my name. I don't currently have a letter from a solicitor to say I am separated, I can look into getting one but my income is very small so I can't afford to engage a solicitor in any back and fourth with my ex. I have utility bills dating back 8 years as I only moved in with my Mum 4 years ago,
Hi, thanks. My child is non binary (they / them). I don't have a tenancy agreement, I live here as family, but I do have utility bills in my name. I don't currently have a letter from a solicitor to say I am separated, I can look into getting one but my income is very small so I can't afford to engage a solicitor in any back and fourth with my ex. I have utility bills dating back 8 years as I only moved in with my Mum 4 years ago,

Hi there, We would require evidence that is dated recently, we are unable to accept evidence from 8 years ago. We can consider the utility bills in your name only along with a covering letter advising of your living arrangements. If unaccepted we would therefore require a letter from a solicitor confirming your current marital status for your child to be assessed on your income only. Thanks, Angela
Thank you Angela. My main concern was that my Mums income (pension) would be taken into account because we live together, is this the case?
Thank you Angela. My main concern was that my Mums income (pension) would be taken into account because we live together, is this the case?

Hi there, No, as long as we have evidence of your marital status and an explanation of your living situation. Thanks, Angela
Hi there, No, as long as we have evidence of your marital status and an explanation of your living situation. Thanks, Angela

Thank you that's really helpful
Thank you that's really helpful

You are more than welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending