The Student Room Group

Student teacher being used as PPA cover for other classes. Is this OK?

Just wondering what the rules are on this sort of thing.

While I can understand your class class teacher leaving the classroom to give you responsibility of the whole class. I find it hard to believe that it would be OK for a school to make a friend cover another class, especially if they are in the middle of working with their own class/focus group.

This also applies to the whole PPA 10% of the teaching week, where my friend has been given no opportunity.

It's the last day of school tomorrow at that placement. Knowing the deputy head, they will most likely ask him to cover another random class again. Would it be wrong for him to suggest that he should have at least the morning/afternoon off in terms of PPA.
Original post by Tombola
Just wondering what the rules are on this sort of thing.

While I can understand your class class teacher leaving the classroom to give you responsibility of the whole class. I find it hard to believe that it would be OK for a school to make a friend cover another class, especially if they are in the middle of working with their own class/focus group.

This also applies to the whole PPA 10% of the teaching week, where my friend has been given no opportunity.

It's the last day of school tomorrow at that placement. Knowing the deputy head, they will most likely ask him to cover another random class again. Would it be wrong for him to suggest that he should have at least the morning/afternoon off in terms of PPA.

Surely if it is his last day it is better to suck it up and not rock the boat?
Reply 2
Original post by bownessie
Surely if it is his last day it is better to suck it up and not rock the boat?

I can't imagine it'd make that much difference to his overall review. They will have provided negative feedback.

Hearing stuff about how he's been taken out of his own class (that is doing PE) to cover another class that is doing PE sounds awfully suspect. Raising this as a concern would basically mean rendering this school's judgement of him as a student teacher void hopefully.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tombola
I can't imagine it'd make that much difference to his overall review. They will have provided negative feedback.

Hearing stuff about how he's been taken out of his own class (that is doing PE) to cover another class that is doing PE sounds awfully suspect. Raising this as a concern would basically mean rendering this school's judgement of him as a student teacher void hopefully.

Well if you think it is dodge, I would report it to your training provider!
Reply 4
Original post by bownessie
Well if you think it is dodge, I would report it to your training provider!

Yeah definitely. I'm surprised he put up with this sort of thing for the last week and a half. The deputy and class teacher basically pulled a 180 in terms of personality on him. The stuff has been documented.

I'm just wondering at this late stage, is there anything the school could really do against him if he demanded the 2.5 hours worth of PPA (Not mentioning the previous week and other times that is meant to be scheduled in.)
Reply 5
On my first placement I ended up with 100% contact time with the children, teaching an entire 90 children strong year group in one go (I'm training in primary so the year groups are smaller) and not having PPA for two weeks.

Granted, it was tiring and I possibly should have said something to my training provider. But I was very conscious that I am student teacher and I need to prove myself, if that means being the school's back up teacher for a few weeks then so be it - they'll have better views of me as a result of it because I've PROVED myself to be versatile and flexible etc.

My opinion would be to not rock the boat, especially not for 2.5hrs on his last day - it may come off as petty. I certainly wouldn't be making any "demands." Consider it good experience with a variety of pupils and solid evidence of being hardworking.
Reply 6
Original post by SNichol
On my first placement I ended up with 100% contact time with the children, teaching an entire 90 children strong year group in one go (I'm training in primary so the year groups are smaller) and not having PPA for two weeks.

Granted, it was tiring and I possibly should have said something to my training provider. But I was very conscious that I am student teacher and I need to prove myself, if that means being the school's back up teacher for a few weeks then so be it - they'll have better views of me as a result of it because I've PROVED myself to be versatile and flexible etc.

My opinion would be to not rock the boat, especially not for 2.5hrs on his last day - it may come off as petty. I certainly wouldn't be making any "demands." Consider it good experience with a variety of pupils and solid evidence of being hardworking.

Yeah it does seem like quite a future students ended up in the same position as you by the sounds of it.

Guess looking at it from the positive perspective is quite handy. Just need to make sure you don't get burnt out from it all from the get-a-go. Teaching at the full timetable does provide a good insight to the workload, but at the same time, it also makes it quite hard to reflect back on the course?

Did you not burn out?
Reply 7
Original post by Tombola
Yeah it does seem like quite a future students ended up in the same position as you by the sounds of it.

Guess looking at it from the positive perspective is quite handy. Just need to make sure you don't get burnt out from it all from the get-a-go. Teaching at the full timetable does provide a good insight to the workload, but at the same time, it also makes it quite hard to reflect back on the course?

Did you not burn out?

Yeah, I think it's basically that the school are very aware of your position as student teacher and use you to fit their needs, knowing that there's very little you can do about it realistically.

I did get quite "burnt out" by the end of the placement, I must admit I was very tired and probably quite emotional. But then again, I think I just took comfort in the bit that it wasn't full time (ie, it wasn't going to be my job forever in that school) and it will have helped toward my reference etc.

If anything I think it helped me be more reflective, in that it taught me a lot about how to manage my time effectively and ultimately, I taught so many lessons that I knew, sooner than others might have, where I need to improve/tweak parts of my teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending