The Student Room Group

Panicking in Spanish Speaking

Every time I have to say something out loud in spanish I feel physically sick but I am really good at reading, writing and listening.
When I've had mock speaking exams in the past I've either gone blank and not said anything or just about said something! What can I do to get over this! xxx
I am like this too! I will go over it so much but will mess it up when there is a teacher in front of me and recording me. There is no set way to get over it, make sure that you know your speaking inside out, back to front. At home, get your mum/dad to sit in front of you as if they were your teacher and record you just so you get used to someone sat there. If there are any bits that you constantly mess up then change them for something you can remember. In the exam, don't look at your teacher, I assume you get 40 words notes (aqa do) and look at them instead. Try to take deep breaths, and look at the first word on your note sheet which should trigger the sentences that come with it. Try not to think about the teacher sat there. If you start to forget or panic try and remember what comes after your last word/sentence by thinking in your head about what would come next if you were to say it in English and then just translate that into Spanish (This is why you should always understand everything you put in your speaking assessment)
Basically, try not to worry. You can even ask your teacher to turn her back if she puts you off, thats what one of my friends did haha. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks I'll try it + we only get 30 words on edexcel 😐 xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Livv_xxoox
Thanks I'll try it + we only get 30 words on edexcel 😐 xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aqa might only get 30 too, can't remember tbh haha. And no problem:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had the same problem, only with French not Spanish.
For me, practise really helps. We do a lot of speaking activities in class, an each week we have an oral class - there's only 3 students in each oral group, and knowing that they're not perfect either and having to help each other out reduced the awkwardness/fear or speaking for me. Is there anything like that where you are?
Also when you're home alone, practice talking aloud in Spanish about anything relevant or non relevant, just to get you used to the speaking bit.
We had our mock last week, and before going in, I gave myself a pep talk. I told myself I knew the topics, I'd prepared well and so I had to stay calm and not let my nerves overtake me. Sounds stupid but it helped!
Have you ever tried having a bobble or elastic band or something you can fiddle with during the orals as a way of channeling the nerves? I normally cope better with something to play with.

Edit: are you GCSE or A level? I had to start my GCSE speaking again because I got to the last question, went completely blank and sat saying nothing.... I was nearly in tears.... But I managed an A* so it can be done! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Yeh we kind of do that but with a class of 11 but most of them know another language :frown: but thanks for the help xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
+ I'm at GCSE xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest