The Student Room Group

Why would anyone vote Labour?

Scroll to see replies

And your brainwashed by the media
Reply 81
Original post by DarrenBCFC
It was the bankers fault though. If i loaned you money which you could not pay back is that the governments fault. The truth is the bankers earn a lot of money and are tory voters so they manufactured it on purpose

If I owe the bank £10 its my problem

If I owe the bank £10m its the bank's problem

If I owe the bank £10bn its the Government's problem

The clue is in the name, they govern. Things that go wrong that cause UK wide impact are their accountancility.
And your brainwashed by the media

Yes, absolutely I am. Despite reading across a variety of differentiating sources and looking for original sources, I am biased and brainwashed.

I'm sure your thoroughbred Guardian reading has made you completely neutral of opinion.
Reply 83
Your from london though, if you lived in the midlands or north east for a year you will change your mind. Only London and the southerners are getting the benefit of this so called "recovery"

What's happening in the midlands and north east? What are the stats?
The government hate the Midlands and North East with the passion because they are dominantly labour areas compare our unemployment rates with london and the SE
The government hate the Midlands and North East with the passion because they are dominantly labour areas compare our unemployment rates with london and the SE

Ooh unemployment rates. Okay. Can you present the rates then? I assume you have the data to hand.
I can just tell you by default the tories are anti midlands and north east and have been for 40 years
Original post by shiva300
I think hard work should be rewarded.

Oh if only that were the case. Nurses would be wealthy.

Oh and to top it off, Labour are planning to tax inheritance money, that's right, they're taking money from family members of people who have died...

How long have you been in a coma for?
"Inheritance" tax has existed since 1986, and they can be traced back all the way to 1796, so if you think they're only just introducing it you've clearly been away for over 200 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its not the rate which is important it is the quote of working people being £1600 worse off
Original post by jjm456
It's a bit ridiculous that everyone's blaming Labour for the last economic crash when almost every single economically developed country went into recession too. The fact is the credit crunch was the fault of banker's across the world and nobody else. Blaming an administration is a ludicrous thing to do.

Exactly. It seems people will go to any lengths to avoid putting the blame where it really belongs.
Reply 92

Oh and to top it off, Labour are planning to tax inheritance money, that's right, they're taking money from family members of people who have died...

Firstly, Labour don't plan to introduce the inheritance tax, it's been about for centuries and is currently at 40%. Secondly, it doesn't tax the dead because the dead can't be taxed because they don't have any money because they're dead. It's a tax on the recipients income, and it makes much more sense to tax people on money they've been given than money they've earned. After all, a basic principle of taxation is taxing something discourages something. That's why we tax alcohol and cigarettes. So why on earth would we want to tax working hard over rich parents dying. If we want a meritocratic system with any semblance of social mobility we can't have the rich inheriting huge amounts from their parents - wealth should be distributed according to talent and hard work, not the pot luck of birth. Labour's proposal would raise an additional £2 billion, that could sort the NHS completely. It just makes sense - don't tax work, tax inequality and privilege.
Reply 93
Original post by jjm456
Firstly, Labour don't plan to introduce the inheritance tax, it's been about for centuries and is currently at 40%. Secondly, it doesn't tax the dead because the dead can't be taxed because they don't have any money because they're dead. It's a tax on the recipients income, and it makes much more sense to tax people on money they've been given than money they've earned. After all, a basic principle of taxation is taxing something discourages something. That's why we tax alcohol and cigarettes. So why on earth would we want to tax working hard over rich parents dying. If we want a meritocratic system with any semblance of social mobility we can't have the rich inheriting huge amounts from their parents - wealth should be distributed according to talent and hard work, not the pot luck of birth. Labour's proposal would raise an additional £2 billion, that could sort the NHS completely. It just makes sense - don't tax work, tax inequality and privilege.

No it isn't, its a tax on the estate. If the will gives £1,000 each to 1,000 homeless people, or £1m to the CEO of BP the tax paid is exactly the same.
Original post by jjm456
Firstly, Labour don't plan to introduce the inheritance tax, it's been about for centuries and is currently at 40%. Secondly, it doesn't tax the dead because the dead can't be taxed because they don't have any money because they're dead. It's a tax on the recipients income, and it makes much more sense to tax people on money they've been given than money they've earned. After all, a basic principle of taxation is taxing something discourages something. That's why we tax alcohol and cigarettes.
So why on earth would we want to tax working hard over rich parents dying. If we want a meritocratic system with any semblance of social mobility we can't have the rich inheriting huge amounts from their parents - wealth should be distributed according to talent and hard work, not the pot luck of birth. Labour's proposal would raise an additional £2 billion, that could sort the NHS completely. It just makes sense - don't tax work, tax inequality and privilege.

No, the one and only point of taxation is to raise money, of it were top dissuade then that means we don't want people to work, invest, stop smoking, be clothed, drink (kinda), safely drive with children, although I suppose you could also add drive and have children full stop, possibily not have children too. Your argument is hardly great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh boy. Express AND star you say?
Reply 96

Just to check, you're suggesting that because the West Midlands has sen one of the biggest drop in unemployment across the UK, that shows its not seeing the benefit of the recovery...? :s-smilie:
Reply 97
Original post by illegaltobepoor
I'll never vote UKIP. The amount of anti-disabled rhetoric that comes out their supporters mouths is unbelievable. The only thing I would do for UKIP is betray them and to think of that I already did that ha!

Labour all the way. Make the corporations pay their taxes!

UKIP is run by simpletons anyways.
Don't see UKIP or Greens ever winning tbh
Reply 98
Original post by Jammy Duel
How long have you been in a coma for?
"Inheritance" tax has existed since 1986, and they can be traced back all the way to 1796, so if you think they're only just introducing it you've clearly been away for over 200 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

really... you don't say... the Tories are getting rid of it so pipe down
Reply 99
Your from london though, if you lived in the midlands or north east for a year you will change your mind. Only London and the southerners are getting the benefit of this so called "recovery"

I'm from the north east and I can guarantee you I will never vote labour...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending