The Student Room Group

CAS...major commitments?

At my school, the 150 CAS hours we have to complete have to consist of at least 5 major commitments (i.e. activities that have lasted 12~15 hours or more).

Is this actually an IB requirement? Do you guys have to do complete 5 major commitments as well?

Or is it just an additiononal thing that my school wants us to do?

I only have 3 so far, and I am already in my final year.:eek: Don't want to fail my diploma...
no thats BS 3 activites is all you need i believe.
Reply 2
In my school each activity can only be counted for 20 hours. However, if you spend 40 hours doing something, you can make 20 creativity and 20 service for example
Reply 3
:eek:

We only have to do 3 activities minimum with 50-50-50 being the way the 150 hours are split

Of course you can do more activities if you wish to make up each individual 50 hours, but its a minimum of 3 for my school!

EDIT: Btw thats one activity for C, A and S.
Reply 4
You only have to do 1 activity for each in my coll too. or if you have 1 activity like working for a charity that involves say creative and service you can use it for both...
Reply 5
my school has no regulations on creativity and action hours--but we're required to do at least 25 hours of our service hours as "local community hours".
its such a drag. that means that if we tutor a kid/coach a team/babysit/organize and run school functions/run charity drives at school..we can only get 25 hours of that.
25 hours HAS to be out in the local community.

schools always make up these fake requirements that the IB doesn't actually require. grrr.
i still have nine local hours to go!
Reply 6
schools make it so tough coz IB has the tendency to complain about the choice of activities taken up by IB students

IB requires for the activities to be engaging, n not considering washing the dog as service...thats probli y schools wat u to be involved in the community n take up long lasting activities, that way ur CAS actually appears genuine to the IB
yeah, IBO complains loads about CAS activities but my school doesn't restrict our activity choices at all. I mean, I had running a class stall at a school fair (which is dead boring, not interesting at all) as services hours. they are usually only about 1 hour long for each session, but I've got at least 5-10 hours for activities like that in total.
Reply 8
Just get your neighbour to say you did 20 hours of gardening as service. Done deal.
Reply 9
Deus
Just get your neighbour to say you did 20 hours of gardening as service. Done deal.

I'll try to leave any 'use of hoe' jokes out of this thread :p:

You could do anything and make up the hours.. my advice is to be sensible with your activities though!!

Make them seem realistic.. like don't say you did 30 hours of 'deep-sea diving' unless you actually did do it!!
danglenister

You could do anything and make up the hours.. my advice is to be sensible with your activities though!!

'sensible'....depends on what you think is 'sensible'. I mean, once my schools student council put on a dance, and gathered people together to help put up decoration. this one girl's job was to blow up balloons. for 3 hours straight. she put that down for CAS hours. our CAS coordinator didn't blink an eye to see it. :p: of course, the student council supervisor had a hard time doing her evaluation form, especially when it asks, "how did the student develop their skills in this activity" or somethign along that line. I mean, blowing balloons?
Reply 11
HMSChocolate
'sensible'....depends on what you think is 'sensible'. I mean, once my schools student council put on a dance, and gathered people together to help put up decoration. this one girl's job was to blow up balloons. for 3 hours straight. she put that down for CAS hours. our CAS coordinator didn't blink an eye to see it. :p: of course, the student council supervisor had a hard time doing her evaluation form, especially when it asks, "how did the student develop their skills in this activity" or somethign along that line. I mean, blowing balloons?

Quite simple: you put N/A on the form :wink:

But did she actually put her activity as 'blowing up balloons' because I would have disguised it as something else such as 'decorations at social event'
of course not. you can't put down 'blowing up balloons' as an activity. :biggrin: I think she did disguise it as something along what you've just said. though in the description of activity she did say that all she did was blowing up balloons. and I think somehow the supervisor did manage to write something up for that question, though it was just funny.

Latest

Trending

Trending