The Student Room Group

CAS letter not consistent with course details

I am resitting a masters course as an international student. However, for this year, my university provided me with a CAS letter which shows that my course ends much earlier than what it says on my enrollment letter. Ultimately, UKVI have extended my student visa by the same shortened amount. The university's argument is that I am not required to be here while I'm waiting for my results as classes have ended. Are they allowed to do this? If this is the case, the enrollment letter should also be adjusted accordingly, right?
Original post by Anonymous
I am resitting a masters course as an international student. However, for this year, my university provided me with a CAS letter which shows that my course ends much earlier than what it says on my enrollment letter. Ultimately, UKVI have extended my student visa by the same shortened amount. The university's argument is that I am not required to be here while I'm waiting for my results as classes have ended. Are they allowed to do this? If this is the case, the enrollment letter should also be adjusted accordingly, right?

The course end date (on the CAS) is supposed to be the date the University expects you to have completed all required elements of the course - so the completion of your studies, assignments, examinations etc. It does not take into consideration the time it may take the university to confirm your award and for you to receive it.

Often the enrollment end date will be several months after you will actually completed the course - which appears to be the case here. This is because, for the majority of students, they would technically be "enrolled" until the end of the academic year - i.e. 31 August.

It was my understanding that a student visa normally included an additional "post-study period" at the end. For a course lasting 6 - 12 months, this would be 2 months after the course end date, and for a course lasting 12 months or longer, this would be 4 months after the course end date. Perhaps that is no longer the case?

You say that "UKVI have extended my student visa by the same shortened amount". What is the end date of the visa in relation to the course end date on the CAS? Presumably they are not the same date (meaning you have to leave the country on the very same day the course itself ends). Is the difference in dates a week, a month, four months?

Quick Reply

Latest