The Student Room Group

Serious revision ideas needed please

Hi,

Basically I have an english language exam in June and I am finding it very difficult to revise .
I have been told there is a reading and writing section. My questions are:
-how did you revise for your english language exam?
-what grade did you get?
-how often did you revise?
-Is there anything specific that I should revise for ?

I also feel like my weakness are : grammar, understanding the question and what to include for the reading section of the exam .

It would be much appreciated if someone could help me as this is the most important exam this year. Thank you
Hey

Do you know which exam board you are doing it under? Also, I am guessing by your name 'Gcseenglish' that it is GCSE English you are taking, but if you could clarify that I could tell you what I did, seeing as I revise differently for the A Level compared to the GCSE :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 2
Original post by dottielottie
Hey

Do you know which exam board you are doing it under? Also, I am guessing by your name 'Gcseenglish' that it is GCSE English you are taking, but if you could clarify that I could tell you what I did, seeing as I revise differently for the A Level compared to the GCSE :smile:

Thanks!

The exam board is AQA
Original post by Gcseenglish
The exam board is AQA

Ohhh I see, I revised for mine via an anthology, I had to look at poems and stories etc then discuss it in the exam, as well as a bit of creative element with questions such as 'Discuss a memorable event in your life.'

I revised by writing down where the similes, metaphors etc were over and over until I could do it in my sleep, as well as doing all of the past papers and reading the examiner reports. I managed to get an A, so clearly this method worked.

I started around a month or so before, a little each day, and anything I didn't 100% get or feel sure of I would go over the next day.

For grammar, you could try and ask your teacher for exemplar material, incase they have any mock/real exams already completed by other students so you can see the type of style that gets good marks.

It would also be a good idea to read this http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4705-W-SP-14.PDF to find the kind of thing they want.

Hope this helped a little. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending