The Student Room Group

Sleepless nights

My attendance before christmas was very good for me, not missing a day, but since coming back after the 2 weeks off, i have been hit by a **** load of bad news on several occasions, and as always i couldnt sleep the night before coming back to school after a relaxing christmas. But it didnt improve, i went nights and nights without sleeping and every few days when i was so exhausted i would finally get some good sleep, always had sleep problems but they were never this bad and only ever lasted a week or two, its been going on for about two months now. Now this is affecting my school dramatically as well as my driving lessons, im at as and taking maths, physics, chemistry and just wondering if any of you have experienced this and overcome it and also if im bound to fail now that ive been missing a lot of lessons and days. However i have been revising a lot, sat at home, covering everything and practising, doing a few hours a day at the moment, so im also wondering if i can still come out with decent grades by self studying, or do i really need to make sure i make every lesson? Sorry about the long post!
Original post by Maguirx
My attendance before christmas was very good for me, not missing a day, but since coming back after the 2 weeks off, i have been hit by a **** load of bad news on several occasions, and as always i couldnt sleep the night before coming back to school after a relaxing christmas. But it didnt improve, i went nights and nights without sleeping and every few days when i was so exhausted i would finally get some good sleep, always had sleep problems but they were never this bad and only ever lasted a week or two, its been going on for about two months now. Now this is affecting my school dramatically as well as my driving lessons, im at as and taking maths, physics, chemistry and just wondering if any of you have experienced this and overcome it and also if im bound to fail now that ive been missing a lot of lessons and days. However i have been revising a lot, sat at home, covering everything and practising, doing a few hours a day at the moment, so im also wondering if i can still come out with decent grades by self studying, or do i really need to make sure i make every lesson? Sorry about the long post!

Have you visited your GP? If not that would be a good idea.
If not that have you talked to family members, friends, trusted adults about your sleeplessness?
In terms of AS levels, do what you feel capable of. Whilst I would encourage you to try and stick it out (seeing as you have come this far), you also need to focus on your health and shouldnt be dking anything that jeopardises it. Again, perhaps disussing your concerns with your teachers is a way forward.

Also can you identify the cause of your insomnia? Is it anxiety/nervousness or something harder to put your finger on?
Reply 2
No ive not been to see a doctor or anyone, i spoke about it with my head of year and she understands and said she will speak to my mum about the problem, i cant understand why i dont get to sleep, not a very anxious or nervous person, fairly confident to be honest but i seem fine on weekends but when it comes to school nights i struggle a lot, i think its because i knowni NEED sleep so i kind of worry a bit, which i deffinately cant help. I know taking things is bad, i was taking my friends sleeping tablets for about a month every night during my gcse exams, but they really helped me and i wouldnt of done anywhere near as good as i did without them because i wouldve been sleep deprived from the worry of exams. After my exams i stopped taking them for almost a year but if i try having one now thhey wont have any effect. Im deffinately going to continue with my a levels but all im concerned about is if my absences will affect how well i do.
Reply 3
Original post by plasmaman
Have you visited your GP? If not that would be a good idea.
If not that have you talked to family members, friends, trusted adults about your sleeplessness?
In terms of AS levels, do what you feel capable of. Whilst I would encourage you to try and stick it out (seeing as you have come this far), you also need to focus on your health and shouldnt be dking anything that jeopardises it. Again, perhaps disussing your concerns with your teachers is a way forward.

Also can you identify the cause of your insomnia? Is it anxiety/nervousness or something harder to put your finger on?

Oh and as well, all my family know about it but they dont understand the struggle.
Reply 4
Original post by Maguirx

Sometimes getting on with work yourself is not such a bad thing. Only you know where your weaknesses are. This means you can focus your time on the stuff you can't do. I've found that at school there's a lot of waffle whereas when I study at home I just get on with it, without having to worry about anything else. The key is to manage to get into school as well as get on with worthwhile studying too. Easier said than done I guess...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maguirx
No ive not been to see a doctor or anyone, i spoke about it with my head of year and she understands and said she will speak to my mum about the problem, i cant understand why i dont get to sleep, not a very anxious or nervous person, fairly confident to be honest but i seem fine on weekends but when it comes to school nights i struggle a lot, i think its because i knowni NEED sleep so i kind of worry a bit, which i deffinately cant help. I know taking things is bad, i was taking my friends sleeping tablets for about a month every night during my gcse exams, but they really helped me and i wouldnt of done anywhere near as good as i did without them because i wouldve been sleep deprived from the worry of exams. After my exams i stopped taking them for almost a year but if i try having one now thhey wont have any effect. Im deffinately going to continue with my a levels but all im concerned about is if my absences will affect how well i do.

If you're up to it paying your doctor a visit could be really helpful. At the end of the day, there is a solution to this, it's about finding it. Your GP may be able to help you do so.
In terms of attendance, it's a tough one. If you let your teachers know, they might be able to help you work around it. Even if you do miss lessons, you can still do pretty well if you use your time wisely.
Are your parents properly aware of how bad your sleeplessness is and how it's affecting you?
Reply 6
Original post by TajwarC
Sometimes getting on with work yourself is not such a bad thing. Only you know where your weaknesses are. This means you can focus your time on the stuff you can't do. I've found that at school there's a lot of waffle whereas when I study at home I just get on with it, without having to worry about anything else. The key is to manage to get into school as well as get on with worthwhile studying too. Easier said than done I guess...

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i do agree with that, and if only i could make it in to school without a problem then i would be fine
Reply 7
Original post by plasmaman
If you're up to it paying your doctor a visit could be really helpful. At the end of the day, there is a solution to this, it's about finding it. Your GP may be able to help you do so.
In terms of attendance, it's a tough one. If you let your teachers know, they might be able to help you work around it. Even if you do miss lessons, you can still do pretty well if you use your time wisely.
Are your parents properly aware of how bad your sleeplessness is and how it's affecting you?

Yes i think i will book an appt. to see my doctor within the week, my parents are properly aware, but i dont think they understand the seriousness of it, like i will usually be told 'just go to sleep' and 'you should just get up'...

Quick Reply

Latest