The Student Room Group

SOAS vs. Durham LLB

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Okorange
Are you intending to practice in the UK or go back to Canada?

Preferably the former. But we can't always be picky right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by akj.latif
Preferably the former. But we can't always be picky right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, then yeah I would say Durham over SOAS. Durham is more well known in Law especially in the UK. In Canada, people don't care unless its Oxbridge or LSE. I don't think you'll have problems fitting in in Durham, unless you really prefer living in London.
Both have very strong law departments. It depends on whether you want to live in London or Durham.
Reply 23
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Both have very strong law departments. It depends on whether you want to live in London or Durham.

Would you say they are equivalent then?
Durham.
Would you say they are equivalent then?

I think they aren't comparable directly because SOAS is a very small University that focuses on the Middle East etc, and its pretty much the best in the world in that field, whereas Durham is a much bigger and multi-facility University.

I don't think going to Durham over SOAS or vice-versa, will have any significant impact on your career. Top law firms recruit from both, so long as you're a good applicant with good extra-curriculars.

If you're interested in the kinds of things SOAS teaches and want to live in central london go with that, if not then Durham is a good choice.
Reply 26
I think they aren't comparable directly because SOAS is a very small University that focuses on the Middle East etc, and its pretty much the best in the world in that field, whereas Durham is a much bigger and multi-facility University.

I don't think going to Durham over SOAS or vice-versa, will have any significant impact on your career. Top law firms recruit from both, so long as you're a good applicant with good extra-curriculars.

If you're interested in the kinds of things SOAS teaches and want to live in central london go with that, if not then Durham is a good choice.

Sounds good, that was my concern for the most part, the whole recruitment part. Thank you so much for your help.
Reply 27
I personally wouldn't pick Durham, it's full of big-headed Oxbridge rejects! In London you have better connections and more opportunities especially for your field. There are some pros and cons for each. London is expensive, crowded..etc but tbh I would enjoy living in London as I see myself fitting there. If the two unis are equal academically, then I would encourage you to look into course structure, where you will be living, people that will be surrounding you..etc. It's not only about a degree, you will be living there for 3 years at least so go with your gut feeling.
Reply 28
Original post by Bishoy
I personally wouldn't pick Durham, it's full of big-headed Oxbridge rejects! In London you have better connections and more opportunities especially for your field. There are some pros and cons for each. London is expensive, crowded..etc but tbh I would enjoy living in London as I see myself fitting there. If the two unis are equal academically, then I would encourage you to look into course structure, where you will be living, people that will be surrounding you..etc. It's not only about a degree, you will be living there for 3 years at least so go with your gut feeling.

Hmm someone mentioned the whole snob thing, but since I don't really have a grasp on universities in the UK yet, I wouldn't really know. My reasoning for London as well was 1) the familiarity and 2) the fact that there is more opportunities for connections and "running" into different people. London feels very homey to me since I've gone their so much, I don't want to be the odd ball out in a place where I'm a novelty. London is very full of international students.

That is the issue, I can't really fly out there for a day or two to check out both London and Durham, this is truly a blind decision on my part for sure.
Reply 29
Hmm someone mentioned the whole snob thing, but since I don't really have a grasp on universities in the UK yet, I wouldn't really know. My reasoning for London as well was 1) the familiarity and 2) the fact that there is more opportunities for connections and "running" into different people. London feels very homey to me since I've gone their so much, I don't want to be the odd ball out in a place where I'm a novelty. London is very full of international students.

That is the issue, I can't really fly out there for a day or two to check out both London and Durham, this is truly a blind decision on my part for sure.

Trust me you will fit in London. I don't think you will like the people at Durham, you will feel isolated. I don't want to put you off completely from Durham but I know a lot of people who study there and they are so depressed lol. I would enjoy living in London and would absolutely love the buzzing atmosphere there. In London I'm more likely to run into people that I can be friends with for life with. In London, I'm more likely to land on a really good jobs&opportunities. If you're international you will fall in love with London, it's so diverse and lively.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Bishoy
Trust me you will fit in London. I don't think you will like the people at Durham, you will feel isolated. I don't want to put you off completely from Durham but I know a lot of people who study there and they are so depressed lol. I would enjoy living in London and would absolutely love the buzzing atmosphere there. In London I'm more likely to run into people that I can be friends with for life with. In London, I'm more likely to land on a really good jobs&opportunities. If you're international you will fall in love with London, it's so diverse and lively.

That's a really good insight on it, thank you! I was telling my dad the same thing, that I was fearful of loneliness at Durham. Would there be job opportunities you think for foreign students too? I'm kind of hoping to somehow get hired and get a work visa upon graduation, but I know that may be wishful thinking.
Reply 31
That's a really good insight on it, thank you! I was telling my dad the same thing, that I was fearful of loneliness at Durham. Would there be job opportunities you think for foreign students too? I'm kind of hoping to somehow get hired and get a work visa upon graduation, but I know that may be wishful thinking.

Don't listen to anyone who makes generalisations which can't be proven. I've just gotten back from an open day and it was awesome.

For prestige Durham, which is also sponsored by MC firms.

Go for SOAS if you don't mind / prefer living in London. Durham isn't very international.
Reply 32
Original post by 105263
Don't listen to anyone who makes generalisations which can't be proven. I've just gotten back from an open day and it was awesome.

For prestige Durham, which is also sponsored by MC firms.

Go for SOAS if you don't mind / prefer living in London. Durham isn't very international.

I sincerely wish I could have gone for open day, to perhaps clear up my mind but that's not really possible.

What are MC firms? Sorry, there's so much reading to do on law in the UK, I guess I've missed something whilst doing that.

Just noticed you're an international student. SOAS has one of the highest percentages of internationals of any University in the world and also you're in London, so you can never be bored. Just something to consider.
Reply 34

It's not that you will be lonely at Durham, you just wouldn't get on well with the people there. I moved from Egypt 3 years and a half ago and so in a way I'm in a similar position as you. The job opportunities for foreign students are most likely to be based around London, that's for sure. Durham is up north in England in a really random place. The chances are really high that you will have to move to London to find a job after you graduate, so you might end up in London anyways! If you're lucky you might get a work visa and stay in the UK to work. I mean it depends on your luck. I think if you do well academically, the UK will probably want to keep you lol. London has a lot of opportunities, that's the main selling point for all the unis in London. So hopefully you will find a decent opportunity that will enable you to stay and work in the UK :smile:
Reply 35
Just noticed you're an international student. SOAS has one of the highest percentages of internationals of any University in the world and also you're in London, so you can never be bored. Just something to consider.

I read that on the web as well, that a lot of internationals go there. Do you know of the rough demographic at all? Like how many are international and where do they usually come from?
Reply 36
Original post by Bishoy
It's not that you will be lonely at Durham, you just wouldn't get on well with the people there. I moved from Egypt 3 years and a half ago and so in a way I'm in a similar position as you. The job opportunities for foreign students are most likely to be based around London, that's for sure. Durham is up north in England in a really random place. The chances are really high that you will have to move to London to find a job after you graduate, so you might end up in London anyways! If you're lucky you might get a work visa and stay in the UK to work. I mean it depends on your luck. I think if you do well academically, the UK will probably want to keep you lol. London has a lot of opportunities, that's the main selling point for all the unis in London. So hopefully you will find a decent opportunity that will enable you to stay and work in the UK :smile:

Thank you so much, your replies were really quite helpful. If you don't mind me asking, where did you decide to settle when you came to the UK and how did that serve you?
Reply 37
Thank you, I appreciate the intrinsic view on the school. I guess I'm grasping for straws right now that I'm taking whatever advice I'm told, but I appreciate the insider's perspective.

If you don't mind me asking, what year are you in at Durham? And do you plan on going back to the US or staying in the UK? Last point, I swear, but what made you decide to go to the UK for law?
Where were you considering going and where did you go in the end?

You lived in Canada? A lot of Brits come here and like it because there's a lot of open space and big houses haha. And Toronto is very multicultural so there's no real distinct Canadian culture in my opinion. Also trying very hard to emulate NYC haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was considering going to warwick but it's in the middle of no where.. I'm now going to Nottingham :ahee:

Yeah not for long, only like a month :redface: Yes it's very pretty in that sense, plus the mountains and wildlife are just :love:

Ahhh I see what you mean :tongue: Yeah NYC is a pretty good place though tbf :cool:
Reply 39
Oh ok, fair enough. I'm going to the UK for the economic purpose as well as saving time as well. Did you go directly into LLB or did you do an undergraduate first? I'm leaving my second year here to start over in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending