The Student Room Group

people who victim blame for sexual harrasment

people manage to control themselves from taking what isnt theirs in shops no problem
thoes who dont are theifs and sent to jail
no one EVER blames the product the marketing or people who made it for tempting them ,

yet its the victims fault for being too "appetising or tempting" when they are harassed

why is it different for women?
Reply 1
It is indeed unbelievably shocking and disgusting to have people believe that the victim is to blame, that the woman must have done something which has provoked the man, therefore the man is justified to be violent towards her. This attitude is repulsive and must be wiped out.
Generally speaking, this applies to any person being harassed, regardless of their sex and gender. The victims are never to blame and harassment is never justifiable.
i ask you to define sexual harassment

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've seen this attitude referred to but never actually in reference to an example.

As David Hume says, if it isn't based on verifiable evidence, and isn't an analytic truth of language, we should cast the proposition into the flames, for it contains naught but sophistry and illusion.
Original post by KingStannis
I've seen this attitude referred to but never actually in reference to an example.

As David Hume says, if it isn't based on verifiable evidence, and isn't an analytic truth of language, we should cast the proposition into the flames, for it contains naught but sophistry and illusion.

Pretty sure there was a massive controversy a few years back who said girls shouldn't wear short dresses if they didn't want to get raped.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42927752/ns/us_news-life/t/cops-rape-comment-sparks-wave-slutwalks/
Original post by capachino
people manage to control themselves from taking what isnt theirs in shops no problem
thoes who dont are theifs and sent to jail
no one EVER blames the product the marketing or people who made it for tempting them ,

yet its the victims fault for being too "appetising or tempting" when they are harassed

why is it different for women?

They do actually. They're called feminists.
Because apparently as soon as a woman shows a bit of skin, men turn into sex-driven savages that believe it's perfectly acceptable to act like an animal and force themselves onto something they like the look of.

It's a bit like saying "well that gazelle shouldn't have been drinking at the water hole, it's just asking for a lion to attack it."

Women should be allowed to wear what they like in public, without worrying about whether they're going to get harassed/assaulted. You'll find many victims of sexual abuse/harassment weren't even wearing revealing clothes when they were attacked.

A gay man wouldn't force himself on a half naked guy in the changing rooms, so why can't straight guys control themselves when they see a sexy lady?
This thread needs more generalisations
Reply 8
Original post by OMGsideboob
i ask you to define sexual harassment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Forcing someone to be sexually intimate against their consent and will by using verbal or/and physical violence and threats therefore rape and attempt to rape
Humiliating and demeaning sexual remarks
Non consensual sexual touching
Original post by tillytots
Pretty sure there was a massive controversy a few years back who said girls shouldn't wear short dresses if they didn't want to get raped.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42927752/ns/us_news-life/t/cops-rape-comment-sparks-wave-slutwalks/

Yeah, what he's said has just been taken out of context. He means that if you want to reduce the probability of getting raped, take some precautions. That's exactly what we'd say for any crime, except rape. It might not even be true, however clearly the purpose of the message is not to say "girls, if you dress like a slut you deserve to get raped" it means "girls, we don't want you to get raped, here's some tips to avoid doing it". Now, assuming his assessment is correct, by not saying it you are increasing the chances of women getting raped. So I'm not sure why it is at all bad.

This is typical feminist taking things out of context in order to be offended and gain popular support and government revenue. There's nothing in it at all.

What would make me reconsider my views is if I saw evidence of millions and millions of people saying "women, you deserve to get raped if you wear short skirts". However, since this view largely does not in fact exist, I highly doubt you'll be able to produce it.

Quick Reply

Latest