The Student Room Group

My boyfriend is a high-functioning sociopath

I’m not really sure what to say apart from that, I just know that he’s a high-functioning sociopath and I need advice on it. I’ve never particularly came across anyone like this before and I just need some things to expect and look out for.
I know that he’s not a bad person, he is really good and sweet (and makes sure I take care of myself). Sometimes the things he says about people that have hurt him or the people he cares about scare me a little though.
Relationships over
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’m not really sure what to say apart from that, I just know that he’s a high-functioning sociopath and I need advice on it. I’ve never particularly came across anyone like this before and I just need some things to expect and look out for.
I know that he’s not a bad person, he is really good and sweet (and makes sure I take care of myself). Sometimes the things he says about people that have hurt him or the people he cares about scare me a little though.

But a sociopath is, by definition, a "bad person".
(edited 3 months ago)
Be careful when you get involved with a sociopath.
They are very sophisticated & ruthless predators who find it very easy to deceive, lure, indoctrinate, charm, run confidence tricks and ruin other people's lives.
Sociopaths have very little conscience and no empathy, although most can give oscar winning performances faking both to gain the trust of potential victims or flying monkeys.

Even when you are not a target of a sociopaths lies or any criminal behaviour, eventually it will directly affect you and those who you care about.
Guaranteed to be sooner rather than late if you are regularly involved with them or a sexual partner.
I've been there and I don't recommend it.
So did you diagnose him or...?
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
So did you diagnose him or...?

No, he’s the one who told me he is. From what he told me I’m a little unsure it’s a full diagnosis but they have at least told him he has sociopathic tendencies. High-functioning sociopath is the label he uses a lot.
Original post by Anonymous #1
No, he’s the one who told me he is. From what he told me I’m a little unsure it’s a full diagnosis but they have at least told him he has sociopathic tendencies. High-functioning sociopath is the label he uses a lot.

Well, he appears to have the tendency to exaggerate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending