The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2016 Re-applicants

Thought I might just start this for people who are applying again for the 2016 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im reapplying next year too. I'm confused on what i could add/remove from my personal statement in terms of my gap year. Would i just say what i plan on doing in my gap year? I have arranged to work in a dental practice a few days a week from August and getting a part time job, as well as charoty work. Do you think this is enough?

Background: I got 4rejections, 2 after interview (leeds and liverpool)

I found the interviews the most annoying because some stations seemed so bizarre.
Original post by dcj_786
Im reapplying next year too. I'm confused on what i could add/remove from my personal statement in terms of my gap year. Would i just say what i plan on doing in my gap year? I have arranged to work in a dental practice a few days a week from August and getting a part time job, as well as charoty work. Do you think this is enough?

Background: I got 4rejections, 2 after interview (leeds and liverpool)

I found the interviews the most annoying because some stations seemed so bizarre.

Yeah I'm quite confused on exactly how to lay out the PS but I think you're suppose to talk about both. But we can worry about that after exams!
I think you should volunteer at care home rather than charity shop? Also find out what the other two unis rejected you on and work on those bits that you were missing in your PS
I agree with the Leeds interview, I thought the ethics and and role play was horrible.
Where you thinking of applying this time?
Hi guys, unfortunately I got 2 pre interview rejections and 2 post interview rejections (but im on the waiting list for one)......I have a question, in terms of getting the 3A's we need how confident are you? I just feel really let down after the rejections and im seriously doubting my ability to get 3A's. Dentistry is my dream and im actually so lost am :frown:
Original post by missdentist10
I got 2 pre and 2 post interview rejections also..

How did you think liverpool went? I thought it went well :/ but was still unsuccessful :/

I found some stations went really well but I found others quite hard, I had mixed feelings after the interview
Original post by minnie_1504
Hi guys, unfortunately I got 2 pre interview rejections and 2 post interview rejections (but im on the waiting list for one)......I have a question, in terms of getting the 3A's we need how confident are you? I just feel really let down after the rejections and im seriously doubting my ability to get 3A's. Dentistry is my dream and im actually so lost am :frown:

if you got 2 interviews that means you have the capability of getting the 3As just keep yourself motivated.

have you planned what you may do for gap year?

Im in exactly the same position as you 2 pre/2 post rej.
Reply 6
I had 3 post interview rejections and 1 pre :frown: I thought Liverpool went quite well - maybe not!

Anyone waiting to plan gap yah after exam results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jessnm
I had 3 post interview rejections and 1 pre :frown: I thought Liverpool went quite well - maybe not!

Anyone waiting to plan gap yah after exam results?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly the same position as you. Yeah I'm planning on taking a gap year aswell! Think about it, we all worked hard to get the interviews, why give up now? It's worth the wait I reckon
Reply 8
Original post by ssaahhaanndd
Exactly the same position as you. Yeah I'm planning on taking a gap year aswell! Think about it, we all worked hard to get the interviews, why give up now? It's worth the wait I reckon

It definitely is worth the wait! If we all get the grades there's nothing stopping us from reapplying as many times as we want, its a shame we have to go through the process again but we will all get where we want in the end :smile:

Apologies for the use of 'we' so much but we all in this together buddies
For anyone wanting to know about gap year: im not going to focus on just getting work experience because in my opinion I have done plenty already (although I will still do a few weeks). Instead im going to try and get a job - preferably one in a caring environment and/or somehow related to a dental practice e.g working in the reception. Im also going to develop my skills - leadership, teamwork, manual dexterity etc....

I have been thinking about this, and although we may have been unlucky this year, we have a chance to improve and develop all of our skills so that next year we'll be more confident :smile: lets not give up guys we can do this :smile:
Also in terms of ukcat, when is everyone planning on booking/taking the test?
Reply 11
Hey guys I was just wondering when it comes to writing a personal statement if we use parts of the one from this year will Ucas pick it up as plagiarism? Obviously I'm hoping to have things to add but the simple things like why I want to study dentistry are not going to have changed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhi-lux
Hey guys I was just wondering when it comes to writing a personal statement if we use parts of the one from this year will Ucas pick it up as plagiarism? Obviously I'm hoping to have things to add but the simple things like why I want to study dentistry are not going to have changed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

this^ And..
does anyone know if we have to write anything about what our plans are after the application process for next year that is march/apr - sept (for the rest of the gap year)?
Reply 13
this^ And..
does anyone know if we have to write anything about what our plans are after the application process for next year that is march/apr - sept (for the rest of the gap year)?

I'm gonna ask my careers teacher and failing that email UCAS.

With regards to personal statement I suppose it would be useful to maybe email Unis and see what they would like to hear from us gap year students!
Original post by minnie_1504
For anyone wanting to know about gap year: im not going to focus on just getting work experience because in my opinion I have done plenty already (although I will still do a few weeks). Instead im going to try and get a job - preferably one in a caring environment and/or somehow related to a dental practice e.g working in the reception. Im also going to develop my skills - leadership, teamwork, manual dexterity etc....

I have been thinking about this, and although we may have been unlucky this year, we have a chance to improve and develop all of our skills so that next year we'll be more confident :smile: lets not give up guys we can do this :smile:

What are you thinking of for manual dexterity?
I really want to volunteer abroad but it seems too expensive :|
Reply 16
I got 2 pre and 2 post interview rejections also..

How did you think liverpool went? I thought it went well :/ but was still unsuccessful :/

Yeah I felt confident with most of my stations at Liverpool but hey ho. The ethics stations always throw me off
Reply 17
Looks like I'll be joining this thread as just got rejected from Dundee. Does anyone know if Glasgow ever accept re-applicants? It says on their website they don't unless you've been given an offer and missed the conditions but was wondering if there would be exceptions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by wsedrftg
Looks like I'll be joining this thread as just got rejected from Dundee. Does anyone know if Glasgow ever accept re-applicants? It says on their website they don't unless you've been given an offer and missed the conditions but was wondering if there would be exceptions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I emailed Glasgow regarding this:

"I’m afraid we only accept re applications from those who have narrowly missed a conditional offer from us. We do however have a number of people on the course who have gone on to take a degree (normally a science one) and then reapplied.* Such applicants have to do UKCAT again in the year of application and attend for interview if offered one."
Reply 19
Really gutted we can't reapply to Glasgow!! Seems a little odd..

Quick Reply

Latest