The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship after dropping out of university

I've been looking at entry requirements and I've satisfied a few ones which start at a minimum of 20k. I'm just wondering whether I would still be considered a serious candidate though, considering I left university.

Are my chances lower or higher? I'm 22 by the way, does that have an effect?
Reply 1
A lot of employers look at getting younger apprentices, but many do indeed take on older ones, such as you and I (am applying for some myself at 21) :smile: I had to leave college early, have gotten a promising lead on one so far... :smile: then again, one word of warning, if you haven't got a full level 3 qualification/level 4 you should be okay, just make sure to check with the person providing the apprenticeship that you are okay to apply as some of them get a little iffy if you already have a level 2/3 qualification :smile: good luck!

ps: at 22 one way of looking at it is they may feel you are less likely to suddenly want to drop the apprenticeship and go to university or do something else :smile:
Original post by Samwin
A lot of employers look at getting younger apprentices, but many do indeed take on older ones, such as you and I (am applying for some myself at 21) :smile: I had to leave college early, have gotten a promising lead on one so far... :smile: then again, one word of warning, if you haven't got a full level 3 qualification/level 4 you should be okay, just make sure to check with the person providing the apprenticeship that you are okay to apply as some of them get a little iffy if you already have a level 2/3 qualification :smile: good luck!

ps: at 22 one way of looking at it is they may feel you are less likely to suddenly want to drop the apprenticeship and go to university or do something else :smile:

Thank you for the response :smile: I've been looking around and I was wondering when was the deadline limit to apply for apprenticeships. Also I haven't had a lot of work experience while working at university, do you think this will reflect negatively on my application? Thanks
Your age is going to go against you as you're over 19. The reason being is because the funding the training provider receives drops by 50% on 19th birthday. Some employers will only employ an apprentice under 19 for this reason. Here's some things to do to swing things in your favour-

Do not apply through the NAS website. This application goes to the provider first. They might only want applicants under 19 and dismiss yours. The NAS website is very kind in that it gives you the name of the employer. Use that to your advantage.

It's worth remembering that the employer gets the final decision on who they employ, but only if they know about you so always deal with them and not the provider.

Depending on the situation, I might be able to help...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending