The Student Room Group

Where does a northern accent become a southern accent?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BCMFM16
They still sound similar in that those up north are more likely to stress the vowels whilst those down south don't.

I understand your argument, but a northern accents in themselves are immanent. Its just a way of grouping accents. The users above have grasped this idea.

To say any of those accents I listed are similar is clearly untrue. Regardless of how vowels are stressed, they are not the same.

All those accents are northern accents, clearly. However this is only because they are how the people in these cities talk, and all of these cities are in the north. This does not mean there is a 'northern accent.'

In response to the original question, where do northern accents become southern? When the place they are spoken becomes southern. It really is that simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Zodiac Wheel
Seems legit. Birmingham is midlands, not south. Should had known this by now. :naughty:

Well its literally in the midlands, hence it should be South or North.
Original post by BCMFM16
Well its literally in the midlands, hence it should be South or North.

Nope. It has it's own category.
Reply 43
Original post by Conzy210
To say any of those accents I listed are similar is clearly untrue. Regardless of how vowels are stressed, they are not the same.

All those accents are northern accents, clearly. However this is only because they are how the people in these cities talk, and all of these cities are in the north. This does not mean there is a 'northern accent.'

In response to the original question, where do northern accents become southern? When the place they are spoken becomes southern. It really is that simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think what you want to think I cba answering back. I'm still right :tongue:
Reply 44
Nope. It has it's own category.

meh
There are different dialects in UK. You cannot just classify something as a northern or southern.

I think we all grasp the idea though?

P.S. I'm from Scotland... I realise I don't count as 'Northern' in this description as that stops at Carlisle.
The real 'north' of Scotland talk very differently to southern parts.

This topic is interesting as I'm quite often 'down south' and I find the accents interesting.
I find the 'Yorkshire' accent very strong (not a fan - sorry). I'd say once you hit Nottingham and across it's a mix.
Depends where you go really...

Associating 'Northern' with "chavvy, farmer or common" was a bit harsh I thought. I can certainly put on a posh version of my accent quite easily, never been misunderstood by English people
Original post by BCMFM16
Think what you want to think I cba answering back. I'm still right :tongue:

Evidently you are not, hence your inability to formulate a response to the statements I raised.

Have fun discussing a question which is inherently flawed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Unistudent77
I think we all grasp the idea though?

P.S. I'm from Scotland... I realise I don't count as 'Northern' in this description as that stops at Carlisle.
The real 'north' of Scotland talk very differently to southern parts.

This topic is interesting as I'm quite often 'down south' and I find the accents interesting.
I find the 'Yorkshire' accent very strong (not a fan - sorry). I'd say once you hit Nottingham and across it's a mix.
Depends where you go really...

Associating 'Northern' with "chavvy, farmer or common" was a bit harsh I thought. I can certainly put on a posh version of my accent quite easily, never been misunderstood by English people

Can you speak with RP?
Evidently you are not, hence your inability to formulate a response to the points I raised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you speak with RP?

'RP' ?
Real people by any chance...? If so, can you elaborate...you better be joking pal
Where ever they start pronouncing a's as ahh's
Reply 51
Evidently you are not, hence your inability to formulate a response to the statements I raised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We will! :biggrin: Not everything has to be perfect...if that was the case the world would be a boring place...
As a Coventrarian, I'd say we generally have a singularly neutral Midlands accent which strikes something of a neutralising balance between North and South (which may or may not descend into Chavspeek).

Coventry and its surrounding wards strike such a hotspot that you only need to travel a tiny distance away in any given direction to have a drastic shift in accent, with Birmingham, Bedworth and Nuneaton being some of the most marked examples.
'RP' ?
Real people by any chance...? If so, can you elaborate...you better be joking pal

He means 'Received Pronunciation', a.k.a. 'Queen's/BBC English'
Original post by Emily.97
Hmm- although Birmingham is in the midlands I would consider it to be a northern accent.
I'd say its probably southern way before it reaches somewhere like London. Dunno, though.

Definitely not a northern accent, although one of my exes was from London and she thought I sounded like a northerner.

I like that you said Birmingham is in the Midlands btw :cool:
Reply 55
'RP' ?

Recieved pronunciation (essentially queen speech).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wilfred Little
Definitely not a northern accent, although one of my exes was from London and she thought I sounded like a northerner.

I like that you said Birmingham is in the Midlands btw :cool:

You don't think Birmingham is a northern accent? Its certainly not Southern,surely :L

You think being in the Midlands is cool then?
Original post by hxneybun
So, a birmingham Shanghai accent would be a southern accent to a manchurian,

Corrected :smile:
Original post by Emily.97
You don't think Birmingham is a northern accent? Its certainly not Southern,surely :L

It's not southern but it's definitely not northern, when I hear northerners speak there are certain things that are present in most if not all of the accents and the same goes for the south. Ours is flat and the pronunciation for most of the words is different. I think it's a typical Midland accent tbh. I'd say the area where I can start to hear northern characteristics in the accent is probably Stoke, as to me they sound a bit like posh scousers.

You think being in the Midlands is cool then?

I have no opinion it just annoys me when southerners seem to think it's in the north because it's above Watford so I liked that you acknowledged it is in the Midlands.
Original post by sjgriffiths
As a Coventrarian, I'd say we generally have a singularly neutral Midlands accent which strikes something of a neutralising balance between North and South (which may or may not descend into Chavspeek).

Coventry and its surrounding wards strike such a hotspot that you only need to travel a tiny distance away in any given direction to have a drastic shift in accent, with Birmingham, Bedworth and Nuneaton being some of the most marked examples.

I find that the Brumminess increases with alcohol consumption or complaining. In Cov there is good reason for both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest