The Student Room Group

Celtic in the EPL - where would they finish?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TornadoGR4
I believe Smalling also played that game iirc. Just shows how well Van Baal has done to turn it into a team that beat Liverpool, Spurs, City & took Chelsea all the way

Still has haters though
Original post by studyworm
Didn't they beat Barca last year or the year before?

On their day any given team can beat any other given team.
Their current squad? Relegated with a points total around that of Derby 2008 or Sunderland 2003/06

If they had access to the riches of the Premier League? They'd be title contenders, they're a much bigger club than Chelsea or City.
Meh I dunno but they'd probably be like the 'Meh teams' you know the ones that don't really do much every season...they just float round in the middle somewhere. Like Stoke, Swansea maybe Newcastle and aside from this season, Aston Villa.
Reply 24
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Meh I dunno but they'd probably be like the 'Meh teams' you know the ones that don't really do much every season...they just float round in the middle somewhere. Like Stoke, Swansea maybe Newcastle and aside from this season, Aston Villa.

I think that too, they'd be just like Newcastle, yo-yo between top and bottom half of the EPL.
Glasgow is a relatively big city and Celtic would probably monopolise support in Ireland(5 million odd country) and attract plenty of fans in England/America too etc. Also got the potential to be the 'left wing' club of record and attract god knows how many politically minded fans. Fanbase translates very simply into revenues. No comparison to the likes of Newcastle who have no fans south of South Shields.

I suspect that in time Celtic would be challenging for a CL spot
(edited 9 years ago)
Celtic had a bad season this year. sure they might win the Scottish league (again) but this time last year they had already won it
Reply 27
Original post by Zürich

I suspect that in time Celtic would be challenging for a CL spot

Might take them about £200 million of spending on better players from La Liga and Serie A, and a larger stadium, to achieve that. It took Man City about 3 seasons to get a Champions League place, after Eriksson and Mark Hughes failed despite heaving spending.
Might take them about £200 million of spending on better players from La Liga and Serie A, and a larger stadium, to achieve that. It took Man City about 3 seasons to get a Champions League place, after Eriksson and Mark Hughes failed despite heaving spending.

Stadium is 60k I think which would generate plenty of revenue. But mainly Celtic would be funded by commercial tie ups from a worldwide fanbase

Celtic would struggle to break in granted because of the Oil clubs and the big3 but they'd be ahead of Spurs surely
Reply 29
Original post by Zürich
Stadium is 60k I think which would generate plenty of revenue. But mainly Celtic would be funded by commercial tie ups from a worldwide fanbase

Celtic would struggle to break in granted because of the Oil clubs and the big3 but they'd be ahead of Spurs surely

Spurs currently are a better team than Celtic. If Celtic joined the EPL next season they'd finish 7th or 8th IMO. They always do better than people expect in the big European games over the years, though they do get hammered 5-0 or 6-0 now and again to bring their true level into perspective. They play like a Coca Cola Championship side.
Spurs currently are a better team than Celtic. If Celtic joined the EPL next season they'd finish 7th or 8th IMO. They always do better than people expect in the big European games over the years, though they do get hammered 5-0 or 6-0 now and again to bring their true level into perspective. They play like a Coca Cola Championship side.

Yeah but they'd have the cash to replace every single one of their players and upgrade

With the current squad theyd be relegated
celtic would struggle first season but would still finish in the top 12, spurs do have a better team but in the long run celtic would overtake spurs, but obviously we all know they would not overtake thats right the mighty toon
Reply 32
Original post by Ultracrepidarian
celtic would struggle first season but would still finish in the top 12, spurs do have a better team but in the long run celtic would overtake spurs, but obviously we all know they would not overtake thats right the mighty toon

Spurs are soon to move to a bigger stadium. They will only grow stronger.

true but you must remember celtic would be the sole representative from scotland hence would also be 1 country club in that sense
Reply 34
true but you must remember celtic would be the sole representative from scotland hence would also be 1 country club in that sense

Manchester United have 350 million fans across the globe. That puts Celtic into perspective.
I reckon 7th-17th with the current team. With the money they'd get for being there though i reckon they'd be a solid top half side soon enough.
Celtic's current squad imo would really struggle to survive in the Premier League.

I would also hate to see them play there.
(edited 9 years ago)

Not sure where these new Spurs fans are supposed to appear from tbh. Not attracted by glory that's for sure and London area is deeply saturated as it is
Reply 38

Swansea are the sole representative for Wales in the premiership but they're not mega rich.

Original post by Zürich
Not sure where these new Spurs fans are supposed to appear from tbh. Not attracted by glory that's for sure and London area is deeply saturated as it is

Well we currently have tens of thousands of people on the season ticket waiting list

Posted from TSR Mobile
Celtic are better than Swansea, and the latter should be playing in Wales.

Good joke.

Quick Reply

Latest