The Student Room Group

Law or Sociology?

So, after looking at options, I realise I would have to choose either A-Level Law or Sociology (along with the other three subjects). Your opinion on which I should take?

(Degree of choice: English)

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Law is an extreme amount of work, unless you're interested in learning loads of acts and facts, are interested in the content and have a reaaaally good memory then by all means go for it.

I believe Law is also not favoured by universities as an A Level.

Sociology is extremely interesting with minimal work required, it is essay based which should be suitable for an English student.

This is my opinion and I wish you much luck. May I also ask what your other 3 A Levels are?
Original post by wanderlust98
So, after looking at options, I realise I would have to choose either A-Level Law or Sociology (along with the other three subjects). Your opinion on which I should take?

Thanks in advance.

Sociology! I'm biased because I study it
Sociology, infinitely more enlightening from a world perspective.

I find law rather esoteric and since you don't want to do a law degree or go into such employment I think sociology is more suitable.
Original post by Romanoff
Law is an extreme amount of work, unless you're interested in learning loads of acts and facts, are interested in the content and have a reaaaally good memory then by all means go for it.

Sociology is extremely interesting with minimal work required, it is essay based which should be suitable for an English student.

This is my opinion and I wish you much luck. May I also ask what your other 3 A Levels are?

Thanks for the feedback! I did think Sociology was interesting, though taking it would be harder as it's not offered at the school of my choice (but I'll just have to go and make a few enquiries).

The other three A-Levels are, probably, Eng. Lit, Econs and History.
Original post by cherryred90s

Cool! How is it like?
Original post by TorpidPhil

I find law rather esoteric and since you don't want to do a law degree or go into such employment I think sociology is more suitable.

Thought so myself, but wasn't sure. Law seems very... dry.

Thanks for the feedback!
Cool! How is it like?

It's very interesting BUT there is a whole lot to remember, a lot of theorists. Not difficult to get a good grade though if you put the work in. I did 4 units which were family, health, beliefs and crime..all with research methods. Crime is particularly interesting :biggrin:
Thought so myself, but wasn't sure. Law seems very... dry.

Thanks for the feedback!

I concur, I am a hobby sociologist myself; I like to read sociological books and jounrals for fun. Did get an A-level in it though. I also study a lot of political philosophy and know a few law-students so I know a bit about law too. Personally I do find law extremely tiresome. It is extremely specific in its applications compared to sociology/philosophy. Good for a career but it is not something I'de recommend as "supplementary studying material". Unless you live in the US in which case, maybe but even then that's more memorising your rights not actually understanding theories of law and their basis.

I lie to say the link between sociology and philosophy is as great as that between physics and maths, the latter being that which the former is founded on.

And I'de say there's a good link between degree level English and philosophy too.

Sociology is not dry and it is not esoteric; it is extremely enlightening no matter what your other subjects, or at least I found it so. It's like philosophy though in that if you want to truly get the best out of it you will need to read it a bit at home and by that I mean outside of what your school/college requires you do for homework. I mean, getting right into the very books that the A-level curriculum derives its arguments from.

It is all very deep and I love how far-reaching some of its conclusions can be for all sorts of applications.

Beware though - the French, take anything the French say with a pinch of salt. I am utterly convinced French academia is dire, maybe that's due to my schooling in Britain studying analytic philosophy but I am not biased, perhaps just ignorant.
I concur, I am a hobby sociologist myself; I like to read sociological books and jounrals for fun. Did get an A-level in it though. I also study a lot of political philosophy and know a few law-students so I know a bit about law too. Personally I do find law extremely tiresome. It is extremely specific in its applications compared to sociology/philosophy. Good for a career but it is not something I'de recommend as "supplementary studying material". Unless you live in the US in which case, maybe but even then that's more memorising your rights not actually understanding theories of law and their basis.

I lie to say the link between sociology and philosophy is as great as that between physics and maths, the latter being that which the former is founded on.

And I'de say there's a good link between degree level English and philosophy too.

Sociology is not dry and it is not esoteric; it is extremely enlightening no matter what your other subjects, or at least I found it so. It's like philosophy though in that if you want to truly get the best out of it you will need to read it a bit at home and by that I mean outside of what your school/college requires you do for homework. I mean, getting right into the very books that the A-level curriculum derives its arguments from.

It is all very deep and I love how far-reaching some of its conclusions can be for all sorts of applications.

Beware though - the French, take anything the French say with a pinch of salt. I am utterly convinced French academia is dire, maybe that's due to my schooling in Britain studying analytic philosophy but I am not biased, perhaps just ignorant.

I was looking at some resources for Sociology online and it seems like my kind of thing! However, do you think self-studying A-Level Sociology is recommended?

And thanks so much for all the info! :-D
I was looking at some resources for Sociology online and it seems like my kind of thing! However, do you think self-studying A-Level Sociology is recommended?

And thanks so much for all the info! :-D

Ah, well I can't really say tbh just because the workload jump from GCSE to a-level is collossal. It was a real smack in the face of me anyway, but then, I came from a working class background and from a ****ty school so I pissed my way through high school with no effort. If you've been try-harding your GCSEs and getting all As/A*s then you should be fine. If you have been try-harding and not getting As/A* in everything except stupid subjects that you were forced to do (i.e. technology) then you really wouldn't want to make anything harder by self-studying.

For the very well disciplined and above average intelligence it could work.

P.S by self-studying I assume you mean sit the exam but not few/no contact hours with classes? If you mean should I do lots of background reading into sociology before and during studying it then yes, that's a must.

Thanks in advance.

Neither, if you're aiming to get into the top unis simply because scoring A grades for either Law or Sociology requires loads of studying time and work.

You should just do Maths, A Maths and one other subject.

Original post by Romanoff

If you're going to do law at uni level then yes, the unis don't like the fact that you're doing law.
I disagree with you on the sociology bit. there's loads of things to memorize.

Original post by cherryred90s

if you have loads of time then yes, do sociology. if not just go do maths, A maths and one other subject.

Quick Reply

Latest