The Student Room Group

A levels for Law

Hi everyone,

I've just been told that deadlines for changing A level courses are tomorrow when it was previously stated we have until the end of the month.

I'm currently in Yr 12 doing Sociology, Psychology and English Lit with the intention of doing Law in Uni. I'm worried my subjects are too untraditional and have been considering changing Sociology for Law.

Are my current subjects acceptable for a Uni Law course? I got a 6 in Maths and an 8-7 in Science but I'm not confident in either one which is why I'm not doing any other traditional subjects. I also got a 6 in History but the course was dreadful for me.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!
i advice continuing with Psychology and sociology because they, according to what i understand, are fundamental to the making Law. if, you know what Uni you wanna go then check the requirements on their website and if its not subject specific then you should be alright

Thanks, Muhammad
Original post by mellmelly
Hi everyone,

I've just been told that deadlines for changing A level courses are tomorrow when it was previously stated we have until the end of the month.

I'm currently in Yr 12 doing Sociology, Psychology and English Lit with the intention of doing Law in Uni. I'm worried my subjects are too untraditional and have been considering changing Sociology for Law.

Are my current subjects acceptable for a Uni Law course? I got a 6 in Maths and an 8-7 in Science but I'm not confident in either one which is why I'm not doing any other traditional subjects. I also got a 6 in History but the course was dreadful for me.

You don't need A level law to study law at degree level. Your current choices are fine :smile:.
Hi everyone,

It is actually sometimes recommended not to take A-Level Law, as it causes students to have presumptions about the degree, and law schools like a student with a clean plate.

If you like your subjects, stick with them, definitely, as they are essay based. And if you enjoy them you will naturally do better. If not, I recommend Economics or Politics. (I say economics because A-Level economics is the best A level ever).

If you want to get into the top law schools I think the perfect combo is English Lit, Politics and History - but you didn't like History so definitely not.
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi everyone,

Your current subjects are fine.
They are essay subjects, which are also useful for doing law.
You have a great combination. Maintain the subjects you have now. They will have an effect in your law class if you proceed to do it at the university level.
Reply 6
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest