The Student Room Group

Wanting to be British

I'm from Croatia and I've never felt like I belong here. People are narrow-minded and posses a very limited scope of the world. You can't go a day without someone on television mentioning the War and/or how it relates to our current situation. A better part of the population is aggressively religious and eager to make you conform to their opinion. The value system is entirely wrong, regardless of how you look at it. I'm feeling like I'm a part of an elaborate hoax and not an actual country with an actual functioning government. And these little complaints are not even the tip of the iceberg.

People can't choose where they're born. I wouldn't pick this place even if I could. And this gets us to the title of my thread. I'm moving to the UK in September and starting University there. And I'd love to stay after my studies, regardless of whether I decide to work or get a higher degree. But beyond just wanting to stay, I want to adopt British citizenship as well. I feel like the UK is a country which is not only more liberal and progressive than Croatia, but a place which will be a good place to live, start a family and even grow old.

And this gets us to my question. What is your opinion of someone like me? How does British society treat people moving there for ideological reasons? Have you ever felt something similar?

Scroll to see replies

I was born here but I'm of South Asian origin. Remember that the ideology of the state does not neccessarily always translate to the people, there are many morons over here too. I wish you good luck.
I am British, come over and learn nothing wrong with that and if you want to live here good.

P.s some of us are slightly odd :rolleyes:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SkittleLover
I am British, come over and learn nothing wrong with that and if you want to live here good.

P.s some of us are slightly odd :rolleyes:

Trust me, I'm counting on the oddness! :smile:
As a Croat you come from the stronghold of the Roman Catholic Church and the papal leverage and influence of this theology. You may well be agnostic or an atheist, but Catholicism shaped many of the dimensions of your social life which could seem secular at first. As such, you should start by admiring the Protestant theology and Anglicanism which made Britain what it is today.
Reply 5
Original post by William Pitt
As a Croat you come from the stronghold of the Roman Catholic Church and the papal leverage and influence of this theology. You may well be agnostic or an atheist, but Catholicism shaped many of the dimensions of your social life which could seem secular at first. As such, you should start by admiring the Protestant theology and Anglicanism which made Britain what it is today.

I'm an atheist. And I assure you that religion didn't shape, nor will shape my life to any degree. I derive my morals from my own sense of right and wrong and the principles of humanism. And I'm not going to admire no religion, not now, not ever. One of the reasons I'm moving is the fact that I can't stand such disgusting involvement of religion in state affairs. Majority of the population expects you to fit a certain mold (white, religious, heterosexual, right-wing, highly patriotic) and if you don't, you're an outcast. And me being an atheist and a liberal who also happens to realize that other countries have it much better makes me break that mold quite a lot.
Original post by Withengar
I'm an atheist. And I assure you that religion didn't shape, nor will shape my life to any degree. I derive my morals from my own sense of right and wrong and the principles of humanism. And I'm not going to admire no religion, not now, not ever. One of the reasons I'm moving is the fact that I can't stand such disgusting involvement of religion in state affairs. Majority of the population expects you to fit a certain mold (white, religious, heterosexual, right-wing, highly patriotic) and if you don't, you're an outcast. And me being an atheist and a liberal who also happens to realize that other countries have it much better makes me break that mold quite a lot.

So it has shaped your life to a very large degree because you are moving away.

My point is even beyond that. Theology goes so deep into the roots of society that it impacts many things you would see as secular, ranging from domestic life to the selling arrangements.

I am from Finland which is the stronghold of Protestant Christianity, but a hugely atheistic/agnostic country at the same time. Despite this, the modern society has been engineered and constructed as prescribed by theology. In Croatia, religion became an integral part of one's identity against the other; the Muslim Bosnians or the Orthodox Serbs.
Reply 7
Original post by William Pitt
So it has shaped your life to a very large degree because you are moving away.

My point is even beyond that. Theology goes so deep into the roots of society that it impacts many things you would see as secular, ranging from domestic life to the selling arrangements.

I am from Finland which is the stronghold of Protestant Christianity, but a hugely atheistic/agnostic country at the same time. Despite this, the modern society has been engineered and constructed as prescribed by theology. In Croatia, religion became an integral part of one's identity against the other; the Muslim Bosnians or the Orthodox Serbs.

I'm moving away for a variety of reasons. One of them being that I won't allow religion to attempt to have such a grip on my life. It doesn't affect the way I think, act or evaluate other people or actions. I don't find Bosnians and Serbs to be "other" due to their religion. However, I do recognize our cultural differences. As an atheist, I'll never find any religion to be a part of "my identity", and I'm equally as judgmental of a Croat who's a Christian as I am of a Serb who's Orthodox. This is because I think critically and can understand and point to faults of both, whether they share them or not.
Reply 8
I'm from Croatia and I've never felt like I belong here. People are narrow-minded and posses a very limited scope of the world. You can't go a day without someone on television mentioning the War and/or how it relates to our current situation. A better part of the population is aggressively religious and eager to make you conform to their opinion. The value system is entirely wrong, regardless of how you look at it. I'm feeling like I'm a part of an elaborate hoax and not an actual country with an actual functioning government. And these little complaints are not even the tip of the iceberg.

People can't choose where they're born. I wouldn't pick this place even if I could. And this gets us to the title of my thread. I'm moving to the UK in September and starting University there. And I'd love to stay after my studies, regardless of whether I decide to work or get a higher degree. But beyond just wanting to stay, I want to adopt British citizenship as well. I feel like the UK is a country which is not only more liberal and progressive than Croatia, but a place which will be a good place to live, start a family and even grow old.

And this gets us to my question. What is your opinion of someone like me? How does British society treat people moving there for ideological reasons? Have you ever felt something similar?

I love immigrants. :hi:
Original post by UKIProud

errr UKIP supporter saying they love immigrants?
Original post by GnomeMage
errr UKIP supporter saying they love immigrants?

I think he was trying to convey the OP would have to put up with the British sarcasm, banter and overall ability to laugh at unfortunate situations . And if I'm wrong, I will use the good ol' "s" word the Brits use far too often :colondollar:
Original post by NeverTooLatte
I think he was trying to convey the OP would have to put up with the British sarcasm, banter and overall ability to laugh at unfortunate situations . And if I'm wrong, I will use the good ol' "s" word the Brits use far too often :colondollar:

tbh why would british hate white immigrants? (OP mentioned that he is croatian). most europeans are physically indistinguishable from british.
Original post by GnomeMage
tbh why would british hate white immigrants? (OP mentioned that he is croatian). most europeans are physically indistinguishable from british.

Who said that? You said why would a UKIP supporter say that. I said it's most likely sarcasm. Your response to me is baffling :lolwut:
Reply 13

The irony because of your profile picture name.
Trust me, I'm counting on the oddness! :smile:

Then you will fit right in :smile:
Reply 15
I don't really get why would me wanting to be British be a problem to anyone. Me, a young, soon-to-be-educated person, wanting to live in a country which is actually progressive and values modernity and social justice. Isn't that a testament of your country being a desirable place to live? Isn't that something you ought to be proud of?

Considering Britain's place in world history and its stance on multiculturalism and diversity, shouldn't anyone who wants to be British be allowed to, provided that they do so legally? Shouldn't people choose where do they want to live?
Reply 16
By all means make the move, but go in with realistic expectations. Britain isn't what you see in the movies or read about and, while there are a lot of people like me that don't care who you are and where you've come from, there will be others who won't like it - which is given anywhere you go, really, unless you're a white American, Canadian, Aussie or Brit. No one seems to care if they hop from country to country. (Oh, the hypocrisy, especially seeing as Brits and Americans seem to complain about immigration the most. Expats, anyone?)

But yeah. Just don't build your hopes on what you *think* England will be like. But if you're coming over to contribute to the country and hopefully lead a better life here than in your home country, I say welcome, and good luck on getting your citizenship :smile: I hope you find happiness in ol' Blighty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Green22
The irony because of your profile picture name.

Are you voting Green?

Here we go again :K:
Are you voting Green?

Nigel genuinely looks like a frog. An alcoholic, annoying frog.

Quick Reply

Latest