The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Since when have we hated everyone on benefits? last time i checked we just didn't like those people who abuse the benefit system (the benefit fraudsters, the ones who dont bother looking for jobs etc) - people who have a genuine need for benefits are not hated.
Original post by Nucleotide
Since when have we hated everyone on benefits? last time i checked we just didn't like those people who abuse the benefit system (the benefit fraudsters, the ones who dont bother looking for jobs etc) - people who have a genuine need for benefits are not hated.

But my question is why do you dislike these people at all? As David Icke and the conspiracy theorists have been saying, these people at the bottom of the pile are not your enemy. Why don't you express the same revulsion for the parasitic elite?
Original post by yoshibuster
The Queen never worked a day in her life, but I bet you've been the first to send your congrats to Wills and Kate on their new arrival. Lol

The Royal Family inject millions of pounds per year into the British economy. They also pay taxes.

Prince William has a job.

'lol'
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lankyryan
Its not all people on benefits, its those who can work, but choose not to, as they cant be bothered, the culture where Labour made it possible for those who were not in work to earn more than those who do.

Hearing of families that have 8 children who get a free 6 bedroom house, free car and living fairly lavish lifestyle's funded purely by the tax payer, is quite disgusting. This was fairly common place where I used to live

Where?

Do you realise that a minute proportion of the welfare budget goes to long-term claimants.
One has been raised with the idea that, when living in Britain we cannot let the state give us hand-outs. We must provide for ourselves. Make our own wage - make a living and support our family.

This is why I am totally against the idea of 'benefits'

unless, there are circumstances, where people are unable to work due to disabilities or having children and the case of working becomes a burden on their life.
But my question is why do you dislike these people at all? As David Icke and the conspiracy theorists have been saying, these people at the bottom of the pile are not your enemy. Why don't you express the same revulsion for the parasitic elite?

because last time i checked fraud isn't a particularly attractive trait is it?

the fact that you called them the "parasitic elite" is a loaded question..
and conspiracy theorists are not a reliable source..

either way, fraud at the bottom or the top is equally as bad. I'm pretty sure there's been uproar regarding the this "parasitic elite" you're talking about.
Original post by adoremorrissey
One has been raised with the idea that, when living in Britain we cannot let the state give us hand-outs. We must provide for ourselves. Make our own wage - make a living and support our family.

unless, there are circumstances, where people are unable to work due to disabilities or having children and the case of working becomes a burden on their life.

Working is a burden for everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
I been disabled all my life and always will be,I strongly disagree with anyone on here who hasn't ever been disabled and doesn't know how different it is being in a society where you get snubbed or penalised because you might be on benefits as a result of being disabled
These people havnt a clue how hard it is
Original post by EatAndRevise
The Royal Family inject millions of pounds per year into the British economy. They also pay taxes.

Prince William has a job.

'lol'

Ahhh that old chestnut. Good for tourism as well are they? LOL
I have been disabled all my life and always will be,I strongly disagree with anyone on here who hasn't ever been disabled and doesn't know how differcult it is being in a society where you get snubbed or penalised because you might be on benefits as a result of being disabled
These people havnt a clue how hard it is
(edited 8 years ago)
The fact is, there are people who are BETTER off on benefits than if they were working a minimum wage job. Benefits are too high and people shouldn't have to make the decisions of 'doing the right thing and working but getting less money than they would if they were on benefits' and that's a big issue.

I mean, of course the welfare system is a great system and it does help a lot of people who do need it BUT it needs to be majorly reformed. If there are people who are outright lazy and don't want to hold down a job then they shouldn't be entitled to benefits.
Ahhh that old chestnut

It's the truth. I recommend you do some research before you imply that the Royal Family are a burden on our country.

Are you going to deny that they pay taxes?

In addition, are you going to deny that Prince William and Prince Harry have a job?

Good for tourism as well are they? LOL

You'd be ignorant to say otherwise.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by adoremorrissey

I agree that some individuals deserve benefits because they are unable to work due to the fact their particular medical condition impacts heavy upon their life
Being disabled myself maybe I am slightly biased against people who say you are not genuinely disabled and therefore don't deserve benefits and other stupid comments like that
I was born disabled and will die disabled so never know anything different
Original post by gulbenkian02
The fact is, there are people who are BETTER off on benefits than if they were working a minimum wage job. Benefits are too high and people shouldn't have to make the decisions of 'doing the right thing and working but getting less money than they would if they were on benefits' and that's a big issue.

I mean, of course the welfare system is a great system and it does help a lot of people who do need it BUT it needs to be majorly reformed. If there are people who are outright lazy and don't want to hold down a job then they shouldn't be entitled to benefits.

Benefits are not too high

The minimum wage is too low :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
People demonise our society's most vulnerable, even those who have worked all their lives and recently gone on benefits, because they falsely believe that anyone who pays tax has the God-given right to feel superior.
Original post by gulbenkian02

Ever tried living on £55 a week? Sure, if you don't live at home with your parents, the taxpayer will cover most of your expenses (electricity, gas etc.). However, with such a meagre amount, you will rarely get to eat anything besides processed foods. It's not a pleasant way to live, and I'd wage that those who choose to live on benefits do not know how easy life can be with a stable income.
(edited 8 years ago)
Because people don't want to recognize that we live in an unfair society that favours the rich and continues to oppress everyone else.
Original post by lankyryan
Its not all people on benefits, its those who can work, but choose not to, as they cant be bothered, the culture where Labour made it possible for those who were not in work to earn more than those who do.

Hearing of families that have 8 children who get a free 6 bedroom house, free car and living fairly lavish lifestyle's funded purely by the tax payer, is quite disgusting. This was fairly common place where I used to live

please i doubt everyone's on that lifestyle maybe alot people on benefits btw would you not accept the same if you had the chance to i bet you would hell i would
Original post by battycatlady
Because people don't want to recognize that we live in an unfair society that favours the rich and continues to oppress everyone else.

Society will never be 'fair', that's just something you've got to deal with.
Original post by mstone12
please i doubt everyone's on that lifestyle maybe alot people on benefits btw would you not accept the same if you had the chance to i bet you would hell i would

I did not say "everyone's on that lifestyle," and actually no I wouldnt, I much prefer working, having a reason to get up in the morning than sitting on my arse expecting Taxpayers to pay for everything I have

Latest

Trending

Trending