The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bill_Gates
is that a left wing view i see pc principal? not in line with the rest of your views.

OP UK based heavily on the class system, it's a great way to control people. It's better anger is sent down rather than up. But welfare in this country is a joke.

On welfare, I am right of labour of allowing anybody and everybody to receive numerous benefits as a lifestyle choice - i am left of the tories who believe in indiscriminately withdrawing all support and welfare to the most desperate and vulnerable

I dont think I am right or left wing, I just call issues individually
Reply 201
Original post by TimmonaPortella
People have ill feelings towards those whom they see as abusing the welfare state because they're paying for it. That's pretty obvious and perfectly sensible.

Nope, this is incorrect.

People have ill feelings towards those that they see as abusing the welfare state because they see it as an unnecessary expenditure which has resulted in the Government having to borrow money in order to fund it.

Do you really think that people would be complaining so loudly if our we were running billions in budget surplus, even after underwriting the welfare bill?
Original post by Errm89
Nope, this is incorrect.

People have ill feelings towards those that they see as abusing the welfare state because they see it as an unnecessary expenditure which has resulted in the Government having to borrow money in order to fund it.

Do you really think that people would be complaining so loudly if our we were running billions in budget surplus, even after underwriting the welfare bill?

So loudly? Perhaps not. But almost as loudly.

I think this is more based in resentment about the reallocation of people's money to people who do not deserve it than a lack of money in the first place. If you have polling data or other solid factual information to the contrary I'll happily concede, but that's the impression I get from most people I've seen talk about welfare abuse.

Original post by Swindle
These angry taxpayers rarely moan about having to contribute to the Queen's life of luxury.

Because they don't. The queen's gilded life of duty as our wonderfully consistent and diplomatically useful head of state is funded out of the crown estate.

That wouldn't be an answer to criticisms of the welfare state anyway. Even if the queen wrongly received taxpayers' money, that wouldn't mean that other people should as well.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Not if the person with a job molests children while the person without a job volunteers helping vulnerable people.

See how this works?

How many people who cannot be bothered to work and purposely rely on the taxpayer (as I mentioned in my post you quoted) volunteer helping vulnerable people?

See how my arguments work?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Ozzy has already given one way that's not true, but you're going to need to define better if you think employment status is what makes someone a good person or not.

Actually if you see my reply to him, it didn't quite work.
Original post by Swindle
These angry taxpayers rarely moan about having to contribute to the Queen's life of luxury.

The Queen does a lot more than those sitting on their sofa all day.....

Did you honestly not consider this response when you posted such rubbish? Come onnnnn- you must have known?
Original post by Errm89
Nope, this is incorrect.

Are you purposely being thick?

Since when does your average Joe even contemplate the Government borrowing money to fund the welfare state??? Its pretty obvious the cause of resentment is because taxpayers fund it.

Original post by Errm89

Errrrr yes:

Why should I get up early, work all day and get home late, to pay for somebody to sit in all day and watch TV?

You think thats going to change just because we're running a surplus? Do we suddenly stop paying taxes/going to work when there's a surplus? Let me check- nope.

To summarise: people dislike benefit scroungers because we work all day whilst they receive our money for doing nothing!

<shock horror>

Cannot believe I had to explain this!
Original post by billydisco
How many people who cannot be bothered to work and purposely rely on the taxpayer (as I mentioned in my post you quoted) volunteer helping vulnerable people?

See how my arguments work?

At least one.

See how your argument fails?

And you've just said someone who molests children is a better person than someone who doesn't want to work. Sick.
Original post by billydisco
The Queen does a lot more than those sitting on their sofa all day.....

Did you honestly not consider this response when you posted such rubbish? Come onnnnn- you must have known?

Yes, because everyone on benefits sits on their sofa all day -what a delusional clown.
What does the Queen do?
So loudly? Perhaps not. But almost as loudly.

I think this is more based in resentment about the reallocation of people's money to people who do not deserve it than a lack of money in the first place. If you have polling data or other solid factual information to the contrary I'll happily concede, but that's the impression I get from most people I've seen talk about welfare abuse.

Because they don't. The queen's gilded life of duty as our wonderfully consistent and diplomatically useful head of state is funded out of the crown estate.

That wouldn't be an answer to criticisms of the welfare state anyway. Even if the queen wrongly received taxpayers' money, that wouldn't mean that other people should as well.

Maybe you should look at the sovereign grant
is it jealousy ?
Original post by Swindle
Maybe you should look at the sovereign grant

:lolwut: maybe you should...

If you're going to respond to me, include substance.
:lolwut: maybe you should...

If you're going to respond to me, include substance.

The sovereign grant is publicly funded and is used to pay for the upkeep of royal family assets and fund **** like jet trips across the world.
The queen doesn't need £40 million from the taxpayer for these things.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Swindle
The sovereign grant is publicly funded and is used to pay for the upkeep of royal family assets and fund **** like jet trips across the world.
The queen doesn't need £40 million from the taxpayer for these things.

The sovereign grant is a fixed, small percentage of the crown estates, which are fundamentally the monarch's property, however much pledged away for the duration her reign (which is done in return for upkeep).

The Queen has to travel a lot. It's part of her job.
The sovereign grant is a fixed, small percentage of the crown estates, which are fundamentally the monarch's property, however much pledged away for the duration her reign (which is done in return for upkeep).

The Queen has to travel a lot. It's part of her job.

She has a massive property and land portfolio not to mention private income streams. She is an incredibly rich woman and doesn't need the taxpayer funding her.
You're nothing to the Queen - she looks down on you and you will most likely never meet her. The way you justify the need for her to receive 40 million quid off the taxpayer is utterly pathetic.
She can pay for her own travel -I'm sure she can afford it.
Original post by Swindle
She is an incredibly rich woman and doesn't need the taxpayer funding her.

Which is why I keep telling you that the taxpayer isn't funding her. She's given a small part of the earnings of her own property. I don't know how I can explain this to you in more simple terms.

I'm quite sure that the Queen doesn't know I exist, and so thinks nothing of me. She plays an important constitutional, diplomatic, and cultural role. That is what is relevant.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
lol says someone using the sun worship logo. ye i know what the all seeing eye really is.

What do you think it "really is"?
Original post by yoshibuster
One thing I don't understand is that people in this country always seem to make a big deal out of those claiming welfare. 'My hard working tax money' ' I don't want my preciously earned taxes going to single mothers', but do these people even pay attention to where ELSE their 'hard earned money' goes? You never hear them speak about it, it's just scroungers this, scrounger that...People like David Icke are right here, surely?

I mean why do people get so up in arms about someone on £50 a week on JSA, but they don't care if a rich, overweight, flabby politician spends some of their hard earned money on stuffing his face with sandwiches and kit kats each week? What about all those illegal wars your tax money paid for?

I have been on benefits before and also worked and it didn't bother me at all that I paid tax that went to help out single moms and those in desperation.

In a country that is still ruled by a monarchy, how can a guy claiming 50 quid a week or 300 quid a week housing benefit and eating tesco value noodles for dinner be your enemy?
OP is clearly the offspring of some scumbag single mother and fails to understand why normal people despise their family due to being forced to pay huge amounts of tax in order to support it.

Basically when you are a leech and do nothing other than take take take from people who are actually productive, don't be surprised when they hate you.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think we are all aware of people who cheat the system or are too lazy to get jobs (though i suppose this could be indicative of mh issues).
When youre slaving it away and have a standard of living thats barely above those who claim, you can feel judgemental. And on the end of things, I imagine it must suck to take home just half of what you earn above the threshold.

Despite the above, however, I would disagree that the average Briton hates those on benefits. The media certainly tries it would seem but i feel most people are indifferent or at the most slightly judgmental or irritated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by democracyforum
is it jealousy ?

I think so. Usually because you seem someone getting someone you're not. Yet,your situation is completely to theirs.

Latest

Trending

Trending