The Student Room Group

Who should now lead Labour?

I think they should follow the SNP and go for a strong younger woman.
Caroline Flint would be my choice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe Yvette Cooper or Andy Burnham. Then again Sadiq Khan and Chuka Umunna are serious contenders as well...
Chuka Umunna because he's hawt.

Definitely not Flint as she's vile, highly irrational and likely a misandrist, or very uneducated, either way she'd be a terrible leader.

Yvette sounds good, although she is obviously married to the utter disaster that is Ed Balls.

Andy Burnham is a decent candidate but I don't know if he could take the pressure, when I have lsitened to him he seems to get irate very easily and starts to spew irrational nonsense, or just frankly meaningless nonsense.

Sadiq Khan I am unsure about. Possibly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Chuka's relatively young so he may not feel ready yet
Original post by TorpidPhil

No way, he's all smooth, but has no grit. Flint or Cooper would be better, in fact Cooper has some steel to her, she could be another Iron lady.
The Cookie Monster
Its gonna be Andy Burnham. I wanted him to be leader last time around too.

Otherwise I'd be rooting for Chuka Umuna
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
No way, he's all smooth, but has no grit. Flint or Cooper would be better, in fact Cooper has some steel to her, she could be another Iron lady.

But he has the sex appeal :u:

No, really though I don't know. I'm not terribly impressed by labour's roster of MPs.
Harriet Harman is the Labour leader the Conservative party needs.
Original post by redferry
Its gonna be Andy Burnham. I wanted him to be leader last time around too.

Otherwise I'd be rooting for Chuka Umuna

Sorry but Burnham has Zero gravitas. Umuna might do well by being slick, well spoken, young and being seen as some British Obama.
I genuinely think Cooper could kick some Tory arse.
I despise Chuka Umunna, he's so self-righteous.

In an ideal world, Alan Johnson - he'd wipe the floor with them. Realistically, it's got to be Burnham.
Sorry but Burnham has Zero gravitas. Umuna might do well by being slick, well spoken, young and being seen as some British Obama.

This election has shown labour loses votes by shifting left, and because of that he'll have the unions backing this time around.

I'll probably be voting for him when the time comes unless Alan Johnson fancies giving it a go before he retires (<3)
Original post by Republic1
I despise Chuka Umunna, he's so self-righteous.

In an ideal world, Alan Johnson - he'd wipe the floor with them. Realistically, it's got to be Burnham.

Johnson is credible, ie not stupid, but he wouldn't wipe the floor with the other parties if that's what you meant. He's also too old and doesn't have a feel of the future to him. I also think using a woman to oppose the Tories, could play very well strategically, because the Tories have had Thatcher, female Tories are in her shadow but for Labour it would symbolise something fresh.

Can you really see Burnham on a world stage, meeting US and Russian presidents?
(edited 8 years ago)
They have no one, NO ONE of any worth.
Original post by redferry
This election has shown labour loses votes by shifting left, and because of that he'll have the unions backing this time around.

But they hardly shifted left in reality. What if they have to become basically Tory to win? Miliband reformed the unions in ways Blair wish he could have for example.

Not saying that your are wrong or I'm right but this

“Labour wasn’t Blairite enough” will be the rallying cry of Labour’s right. A Blairite leader, according to this theory, would have prevented a collapse in support to a Scottish party positioning itself to Labour’s anti-austerity left. It would have stopped the Greens mopping up disillusioned leftwing voters.And it would have avoided the defection to Ukip of working-class supporters angry at the immigration of the Blair-Brown era, for which Labour under Miliband had apologised, adopting an anti-immigration stance that appalled Blairites.

Miliband had taken on the trade union link in a way Tony Blair declared he wished he had, committing to cutting public spending every year; he was the first Labour leader to do so, as he himself boasted." - Owen Jones

I know you don't like Owen Jones but he makes reasonable points imo. A Blairite wont help in Scotland.

I don't know, there is arguments on both sides. I'm just throwing out the ones on the otherside. Don't necessarily agree with them all. I think the Scotland one is undeniable however.
Original post by TorpidPhil

Definitely not Flint as she's vile, highly irrational and likely a misandrist, or very uneducated, either way she'd be a terrible leader.

Yvette sounds good, although she is obviously married to the utter disaster that is Ed Balls.

Andy Burnham is a decent candidate but I don't know if he could take the pressure, when I have lsitened to him he seems to get irate very easily and starts to spew irrational nonsense, or just frankly meaningless nonsense.

Sadiq Khan I am unsure about. Possibly.

Ummana is inspiring but still a little to young to command respect. A very tiny number of votes would also be lost because he's black.

Yvette is uninspiring and being a woman would lose additional votes I'm afraid.

Burnham might work.

Khan is Muslim. Not a hope in hell of winning.

Dan Jarvis is the man Labour needs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
But they hardly shifted left in reality. What if they have to become basically Tory to win? Miliband reformed the unions in ways Blair wish he could have for example.

Not saying that your are wrong or I'm right but this

“Labour wasn’t Blairite enough” will be the rallying cry of Labour’s right. A Blairite leader, according to this theory, would have prevented a collapse in support to a Scottish party positioning itself to Labour’s anti-austerity left. It would have stopped the Greens mopping up disillusioned leftwing voters.And it would have avoided the defection to Ukip of working-class supporters angry at the immigration of the Blair-Brown era, for which Labour under Miliband had apologised, adopting an anti-immigration stance that appalled Blairites.

Miliband had taken on the trade union link in a way Tony Blair declared he wished he had, committing to cutting public spending every year; he was the first Labour leader to do so, as he himself boasted." - Owen Jones

I know you don't like Owen Jones but he makes reasonable points imo. A Blairite wont help in Scotland.

I don't know, there is arguments on both sides. I'm just throwing out the ones on the otherside. Don't necessarily agree with them all. I think the Scotland one is undeniable however.

A blairite would have had the media onside. And that is a very crucial vote winner.
I think they should follow the SNP and go for a strong younger woman.
Caroline Flint would be my choice.

Perhaps another Miliband... Say David Miliband?:wink:
As a Tory I would consider voting for a Chuka Umunna led Labour

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending