The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Hi guys, cant seem to find a thread on this exam. AQA AS geography unit 2, I'm actually studying A2 now but resitting this exam, hoping to move from a C to an A in this unit.

Just wondering if anyone else is sitting this and what your revision techniques are for the first section of the exam? I think it may be on populations as the two previous years have been rivers.

Any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! Same here, have a B but going for an A! I'm hoping for population too as it's easier to wing considering I've not gone over any population/rivers work from last year. :cry2: I've just been going through past papers, I'm so worried that they'll ask a question from the unit 1 specification like 'how are meanders formed'
surely the won't have a question on how meanders are formed, as it's geography skills which doesn't require knowledge of these things, that's for Unit 1
Reply 3
Hi! I am resitting the Geog2 skill paper too and quite worried about section 1. I hope it will be population too as I think it is easier than river...
Yeah im resitting too, im sorry to say that i rekon its going to be rivers. Although it was rivers last year, that was the first time rivers was the topic in the last 5 papers. The other 4 papers before it were population so im not sure. I havn't gone over any of my work from last year so am super worried about answering the non fieldwork questions. Im starting revision today, going to look at some past paper question to see what we actually need to know. Personally i hope its population because it will just be interpreting maps or graphs for population density or something which is much easier
Reply 5
Hi
I'm also doing this exam, hopefully getting an A as I think I did relatively well in GEOG1
Reply 6
also sitting and personally feel the best revision will just be past papers
Reply 7
Did anyone do their fieldwork on urban heat islands?
Does anyone have any predictions? 😭
Reply 9
6 marker on standard deviation or spearmans rank plz aqa
I'm resitting the paper - got a B overall last year (B in Geog1, C in Geog2) but I need to really need to secure my B, with A2 seeming like torture.

I doubt a question like how are meanders formed will come up. That question would appear in Geog1. There was a question, however, to do with meanders to do with a cross-section in a past paper but all you had to do was say it was a meander and describe the deep pool and velocity - nothing further if I remember correctly.

I remember last year my teacher saying that because different schools/colleges pick different options, everyone has to be able to answer the skills questions - not everyone doing Geog1 studied Rivers, coasts & Populations etc - you just gain an advantage I guess.

As long as you know your skills, advantages and disadvantages and can describe them well, it shouldn't be too bad.

Here's hoping!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
I am also resitting... just going over my rivers coursework but could you use the a2 coursework that applies to 4a.. i dont know. But, I hope to get a B or an A in this... really need it haha
Original post by azndian
I am also resitting... just going over my rivers coursework but could you use the a2 coursework that applies to 4a.. i dont know. But, I hope to get a B or an A in this... really need it haha

I'm using my 4a fieldwork as we were told it may be easier seeing as we need to revise it for AS & we hadn't done rivers since last year. It's just about fitting the geog2 questions to the fieldwork - which I've done & also my teacher has done!

More confident about the fieldwork than the skills! Eek!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by emma9612
I'm using my 4a fieldwork as we were told it may be easier seeing as we need to revise it for AS & we hadn't done rivers since last year. It's just about fitting the geog2 questions to the fieldwork - which I've done & also my teacher has done!

More confident about the fieldwork than the skills! Eek!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay, I can use my 4a fieldwork for Unit 2! Yes, the dreaded skills... just revise and work hard is all now
Reply 14
Original post by emma9612
I'm resitting the paper - got a B overall last year (B in Geog1, C in Geog2) but I need to really need to secure my B, with A2 seeming like torture.

I doubt a question like how are meanders formed will come up. That question would appear in Geog1. There was a question, however, to do with meanders to do with a cross-section in a past paper but all you had to do was say it was a meander and describe the deep pool and velocity - nothing further if I remember correctly.

I remember last year my teacher saying that because different schools/colleges pick different options, everyone has to be able to answer the skills questions - not everyone doing Geog1 studied Rivers, coasts & Populations etc - you just gain an advantage I guess.

As long as you know your skills, advantages and disadvantages and can describe them well, it shouldn't be too bad.

Here's hoping!

Section one is always on Population Change or Rivers, the two topics that everyone on this Spec. has to cover, so everyone should be on a level playing field.
Reply 15
Confused:

We did fieldwork (in a river) so on rivers...

Does this mean if it's on population, we wont need to talk about fieldwork?
There was a question asking how we collected secondary data???

How would you answer this!
Original post by MW-19--
Confused:

We did fieldwork (in a river) so on rivers...

Does this mean if it's on population, we wont need to talk about fieldwork?

check out a few past papers on the aqa website
they always ask about data interpretation of either rivers or population bc they're the ones that everyone covers, and then they ask about fieldwork, whatever it was (in your case, rivers, but ppl did different fieldwork studies)
Reply 18
Original post by pheebsey
check out a few past papers on the aqa website
they always ask about data interpretation of either rivers or population bc they're the ones that everyone covers, and then they ask about fieldwork, whatever it was (in your case, rivers, but ppl did different fieldwork studies)

Okay thanks!!
Makes sense now!

I feel like a population paper would be easier
Original post by MW-19--
Okay thanks!!
Makes sense now!

I feel like a population paper would be easier

oh i'd much rather it be on rivers! that 15 marker was great in geog1 :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending