The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Numan786
I think people are being too hard on Welbeck. He has a place in a specific system or set up. If he can do a job as a sort of workhorse/utility man then its fine imo but ideally we should be upgrading on both.

I wasnt on about his hair. His stubble is the best I've seen. I'm ****ing jealous of his facial hair :teeth:

I think he has worked very hard for many years to get to that level of stubble.

Germany and Spain have such skillful and cool players. We're stuck with... Rooney.
Just looked at all the Benzema rumours and EVERY single article quotes that Italian bellend journo or that Venezuelan tart as their source...

Honestly, twitter has become a cancer to the transfer window, it's funny to an extent but when you have some attention whore making up fake rumours just because she wants the size of her following to match the ample size of her silicon chest, it gets quite disgusting quite quick. Can't wait for all their accounts to be deleted by Sept. 2nd
Original post by leinad2012
Fair play, thought it was the entire top division not just since it became the premier. Even without that, so far he has 42 goals in 99 games, that's pretty damn close to a 1 in 2 record with an poor first season weighting it down. That'd make him the best 2nd option striker behind Bony (possibly even better than Bony) if we were to sign a top top striker

Better than Rooney these days tbf
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
I think he has worked very hard for many years to get to that level of stubble.

Germany and Spain have such skillful and cool players. We're stuck with... Rooney.

I think some people are just blessed with top tier genes :frown: I will work towards that goal though.

You're forgetting Jack Weelchair :lol:
Original post by difeo
Better than Rooney these days tbf

Welbeck is better than Rooney these days...

:sad:
Welbz plays for arsenal.

Used to play for united

Lolz

Benteke is better than them both :smile:

Dem offside goals :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
Benteke is better than them both :smile:

Dem offside goals :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't disagree. He's in my fantasy team do wouldn't even be mad if he scored (so long as we win 4-3 with a benteke hat trick)
Original post by sevchenko
Honestly the idea that we can't win the league with Giroud is wrong. We only really need him to give effective and consistent performances as a target man especially in big matches eg holding up the ball, bringing others into play and showing 110% workrate. In terms of goals he only really needs to hit at least 18 in the league which is only 2 more than last season, it should easily be accomplishable for him at this stage. Beyond that Alexis will give 12+

The players we should be demanding to make up the goal deficit required for a proper title challenge is Theo, Santi, Ox, Welbeck and Ozil. We only got 21 goals from those 5 players last season. It needs to be alot more realistically.

Theo was out for most of last season I think that makes people tend to discount his contribution for the season ahead, he should be getting 12+ goals. Danny will get 10+ imo and Ramsey needs to be aiming for 10+ too. Ozil, Santi and Ox needs to score at least 7+ non penalty goals in the league. I think if Ox is serious enough he can get 10+

But that's the problem - Giroud isn't consistent enough. You saw last season against Monaco at home and that spell where he went like 8/9 games without scoring. That ain't good enough. I think he's decent but he shouldn't be our main striker - no way. It's embarrassing honestly.

A quality striker will bank on himself to fire and not need his midfield to chip in goals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by qwerty_mad
But that's the problem - Giroud isn't consistent enough. You saw last season against Monaco at home and that spell where he went like 8/9 games without scoring. That ain't good enough. I think he's decent but he shouldn't be our main striker - no way. It's embarrassing honestly.

A quality striker will bank on himself to fire and not need his midfield to chip in goals.

The Monaco game was a obvious one off for him, I rarely hear criticism for other players for their performances that match. He responded well afterwards so I don't know how you can criticise for that

I've said it before, you can't really single out Giroud for his end of season form when the rest of the team was garbage at the same time, that's lazy criticism imo. It's unfair to measure Giroud's quality by goals alone, If he was a poacher who offered nothing else besides goals eg podolski then yeah you can attack him for lack of goals but his target man play is just as vital as goals

Having a high proportion of your goals coming from one player is undesirable. In Arsenal's case goals from the midfield is a sign of a cohesive, functional setup and clear player improvement. To expect Giroud to hit 25+ in the league is silly. You need to redirect your demand for goals to others players like Santi, Ozil and Ox who only got six goals in the league between themselves last year which is poor, they do squander a fair amount of chances. Other players like Ramsey and Welbeck need step up and get 10+ too
(edited 8 years ago)
The Chelsea games as well Giroud has been absolutely shocking in them.
Original post by jam277
The Chelsea games as well Giroud has been absolutely shocking in them.

It is a shame because he is actually quite easy to mark for top level defenders. Problem with him is that he is not enough of a pest, and does not present himself as a nuisance to the opposition. He can do it because he is such a physically imposing player, but for some reason he does not and is typically Arsenal in how he is mostly all about the tippy tappy approach. In such big games he is incapable of creating that extra yard for himself and others. Even if you don't score the goals that ability to be involved in the game and to make others around you play better is so very important.
(edited 8 years ago)
It is a shame because he is actually quite easy to mark for top level defenders. Problem with him is that he is not enough of a pest, and does not present himself as a nuisance to the opposition. In such big games he is incapable of creating that extra yard for himself and others. Even if you don't score the goals that ability to be involved in the game and to make others around you play better is so very important.

His lack of pace and aggressiveness does hinder him, however the real problem is his finishing when he does get into space.
Original post by jam277
His lack of pace and aggressiveness does hinder him, however the real problem is his finishing when he does get into space.

His lack of finishing will always be there, but the guy has to think about what would benefit the team in these big games. And it is not standing around like some pretty totem pole. When he is isolated up front doing nothing we are pretty much down to 10 men. I want to see him putting some sly elbows into the opposition and creating space, dragging the opposition defence out of position. If he ain't gonna score the goals in these games, that is what he has to do. So what I'm basically describing is... Costa.
Edit, what i'm describing is probably Mandzukic, Costa actually has the ability to finish.
Mo Farah is such a gooner :rofl:
His lack of finishing will always be there, but the guy has to think about what would benefit the team in these big games. And it is not standing around like some pretty totem pole. When he is isolated up front doing nothing we are pretty much down to 10 men. I want to see him putting some sly elbows into the opposition and creating space, dragging the opposition defence out of position. If he ain't gonna score the goals in these games, that is what he has to do. So what I'm basically describing is... Costa.

I like the idea of our main striker flirting with 3 game suspension. Then Welbeck can lead us to the treple.

Didn't he do this once (qpr) and got called an idiot by the whole universe.
If you're going to the Liverpool game then try come up to the back of block 26, Clock End lower. There's a group of lads who stand and sing all game so try and jump in even if your ticket isn't for that section and make some much needed noise in the Emirates.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
If you're going to the Liverpool game then try come up to the back of block 26, Clock End lower. There's a group of lads who stand and sing all game so try and jump in even if your ticket isn't for that section and make some much needed noise in the Emirates.

I'm gonna be in East stand, lower tier but deffo keeping an eye on you lads!

Latest