The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
Coutinho and Sturridge are star players.
Henderson, Milner, Sakho, Benteke and Clyne are solid first XI players.

We're only really weak in GK, CB and CM and even then it isn't disastrous.
If we bought a quality keeper OR centre-back, a lot of our problems will be sold.

We have a better team than you think. A team that is certainly able to at least put in a challenge for top 4 the way this season has stated.
Perhaps the squad depth isn't quite there yet and maybe we won't make it, but I know my club a lot better than you and I have no problem admitting where we're weak and where we aren't.

You're absolutely bricking it because there's a possibility that we might get a quality manager and you're terrified of us becoming good again, so you're trying your hardest to convince yourself that he's overrated and that our squad is awful.

Yet again we have arrogant Arsenal fans who think they're superior. Surprise.

Sturridge and Coutinho are "different gravy mate" as your most famous fan the Liddel would say. Nah seriously though they are top class, Stuzza would easily get into our team or united's. The problem is he's injury prone, you could lose him for 6 months with ease (irony I know coming from an arsenal fan). At least you have benteke as back up who is actually a top 4 striker too, I rate him.
Problem you've got is Cout ain't sticking around, he's gone in the summer. And milner isn't lasting much longer than a season on those legs. You need two new TOP wingers to challenge next season.
Hendo wouldn't get into any top 4 side and sakho would struggle (although he is young so has potential to get there). I'd add Skrtyl to your list there but again he's getting on a bit.

Where your main trouble lies is in depth, you just don't have it anywhere bar up top and possibly GK (I rate Bogdan). That along with 3 or 4 glaring holes in your starting squad and you're looking at £70mil AT LEAST to fix those problems, then another £100mil playing 9 or 10 players for depth.

The fact that you've spent £300mil and you still have obvious problems is laughable.

Overall judgement: you're in a top 4 scrap but it's tough to say right now who will be in it with you. Spurs should be, Everton to and Chelsea, but West Ham could be a surprise package and Soton are performing too now (and Leicester lol). Whether you'll get top 4 I'm not so sure
Klopp couldn't have made Gotze or Lewandowski stay.

I'm more interested in how he dealt with the departures of the likes of Sahin and Kagawa, to be honest. He allowed them to leave and then recruited them back once their respective moves hadn't materialised into dreams.

What's more impressive is that Klopp was convinced as to why they struggled, and rectified that duly.
Reply 8102
Original post by Arkasia
People who say that Suarez carried Brenda then refuse to admit Lewa/Reus/Gotze carried Klopp smh

People throwing in random names without taking one single look at dates smh

Reus wasn't playing for BVB in their most successful seasons. He joined in 2012, after BVB had won a league and a double.

Lewa scored a grand total of 8 goals in Klopp's first title-winning season - carrying him? Götze was introduced into the 1st team by Klopp and back then far from being in any form to predictably 'carry' a team to anything.

Later, both Lewa's and Götze's form contributed to BVB's succes - but relying on your best players to perform well does not take anything away from managerial success, that's poor logic. Especially when the manager in question contributed to the development of said players into (potentially) world-class ones. And that's true for both Lewa and Götze.

Now who by your logic carried Klopp in his first 2 seasons in which he turned BVB from a lost bottom-half side into stable top 4 contenders? Neither of the players you mentioned played for the first team, unless you'd call the 5 sub apps Götze got in 09/10 'to carry'.

Like I said before, all the people who question Klopp's managerial quality based on criticism that doesn't go deeper than "his last season" or "big players" (why not bring up valid points like his rotation? lack of sustainability?) either seem to know nothing about BVB & their history, or decide to irrationally ignore it. But IIRC you were also comparing BVB's qualifying for the EL to Man Utd potentially qualifying for the EL, so that explains it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Rekt
You just got Qua'd
When we gonna get a Mackay interview with Qua?
Absolutely destroyed.
Qua is such a legend.
Original post by Lúcio
Coutinho and Sturridge are star players.
Henderson, Milner, Sakho, Benteke and Clyne are solid first XI players.

We're only really weak in GK, CB and CM and even then it isn't disastrous.
If we bought a quality keeper OR centre-back, a lot of our problems will be sold.

We have a better team than you think. A team that is certainly able to at least put in a challenge for top 4 the way this season has stated.
Perhaps the squad depth isn't quite there yet and maybe we won't make it, but I know my club a lot better than you and I have no problem admitting where we're weak and where we aren't.

You're absolutely bricking it because there's a possibility that we might get a quality manager and you're terrified of us becoming good again, so you're trying your hardest to convince yourself that he's overrated and that our squad is awful.

Yet again we have arrogant Arsenal fans who think they're superior. Surprise.

Original post by Arkasia
The league is incredibly weak this season, if Liverpool got their **** sorted they could've tried to get second. As it is, their objective will be to keep ahead of Chelsea, and beat Tottenham for the 4th spot.

Yep, I'm definitely underestimating you.
Liverpool are a team of workhorses. Klopp is a top manager yes but his Dortmund team had way more quality in it than this Liverpool team does.
Original post by Arkasia
People who say that Suarez carried Brenda then refuse to admit Lewa/Reus/Gotze carried Klopp smh

Original post by Vae

Reus wasn't playing for BVB in their most successful seasons. He joined in 2012, after BVB had won a league and a double.

Lewa scored a grand total of 8 goals in Klopp's first title-winning season - carrying him? Götze was introduced into the 1st team by Klopp and back then far from being in any form to predictably 'carry' a team to anything.

Later, both Lewa's and Götze's form contributed to BVB's succes - but relying on your best players to perform well does not take anything away from managerial success, that's poor logic. Especially when the manager in question contributed to the development of said players into (potentially) world-class ones. And that's true for both Lewa and Götze.

Now who by your logic carried Klopp in his first 2 seasons in which he turned BVB from a lost bottom-half side into stable top 4 contenders? Neither of the players you mentioned played for the first team, unless you'd call the 5 sub apps Götze got in 09/10 'to carry'.

Like I said before, all the people who question Klopp's managerial quality based on criticism that doesn't go deeper than "his last season" or "big players" (why not bring up valid points like his rotation? lack of sustainability?) either seem to know nothing about BVB & their history, or decide to irrationally ignore it. But IIRC you were also comparing BVB's qualifying for the EL to Man Utd potentially qualifying for the EL, so that explains it.

Major rekage occurring...

Original post by Arkasia
Yep, I'm definitely underestimating you.

Strong subject switch
Original post by Vae

Sub out a few names and you get my exact point about Rodgers. I was merely highlighting the double-standards of people who say Brendan was carried, then hail Klopp as a god. Brendan did so much more in terms of building a team around his star players, developing talent, and all of the criticisms that you say are not applicable against Klopp (last season + big players) are some of the biggest criticisms levelled against Rodgers, and I think that is unfair.
Mate just go in to hiding like Depleted did when Hayles rekt him...
Original post by Lúcio
Mate just go in to hiding like Depleted did when Hayles rekt him...

Why would I? It's a comment on an internet forum. Qua's post was good, but misunderstood what I was trying to say (fair enough I worded it poorly). I was trying to say that Brendan was better than 'just being carried by Suarez', not that Klopp was worse. This revisionism is really annoying me when it comes to Rodgers.
question is: if we're out of the champions league, and within grasping reach of the title (and the other English clubs remain in the CL) in January, will Wenger sign someone to rotate with Coquelin?
Original post by swirly
question is: if we're out of the champions league, and within grasping reach of the title (and the other English clubs remain in the CL) in January, will Wenger sign someone to rotate with Coquelin?

I think he will, he needs to cash in on flamini/arteta when he has the chance
Original post by swirly

Of course he won't
Original post by shawn_o1
I think he will, he needs to cash in on flamini/arteta when he has the chance

Cash in? He couldn't get more than a couple of millions for both together.
Only if Kalstrom is available. Who cares anyway, by Jan Wilshere will be back and Arsene can hail him "like a good signing" only for him to get injured on Feb 2nd.
Concerned that Welbeck will be out for the whole season, Wenger vows to make a central forward signing in January.

That window you had the best chance to win the league for 10 years and signed an injured player who was good 5 years ago was fantastic banter by #WengerKnowsBest

Latest