The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 2 Education and Research Methods Forum

Scroll to see replies

But how is the structure? Do you answer it like a normal 20 mark essay but with out the introduction? And do you add criticisms or just talk bout the theory thats in the question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nicoleemmak
Funcationalists, such as parsons see it as a bridge between the family and society
New right see it as the same but they think that the current system isn't working they want to marketise it and Marxists such as Althusser see it as a way of producing good workers for the capitalist system and for legitimising inequality

Thanks a mill!
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's looking like the first half of the exam will heavily focus on:

- Marxism
- Educational Policies
- Boys Underachievement
- Class Differences

How about research methods? Any solid suggestions?
Reply 443
Original post by BOWE
What sort of thing would it ask about Marxism? Would it be what they see the role of education as? ( Ideological state apparatus, correspondence principle , myth of meritocracy etc? )

Marxist views on education? So bowles and gintis, althusser and bordieu maybe
Everything but QUESTIONNAIRES has been asked
Reply 445
Can someone tell me what topics are unlikely to come up? For family & households it was far easier, education and research methods is a whole other dimension of tributaries
what do you guys think the research methods will? i heard it might be experiments but I'm not sure how they would ask it? also i know the general issues with the methods but do you really have to revise research methods a lot because I've been focusing on education
Vocationalism
[QUOTE="EddyEagal;56036485"]So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's looking like the first half of the exam will heavily focus on:

- Marxism
- Educational Policies
- Boys Underachievement
- Class Differences

How about research methods? Any solid suggestions?[/QUOTE

Yes, questionnaires has not been asked yet, but everything else has
Original post by oreoprincess
how do you answer 12 mark questions?

intro
body
conclusion
make sure you mention at least 3 sociologists!!
My teacher thinks it will be observations
they may ask specifically like non participant covert observation or just observations in general
Original post by Unpreppedstudent
intro
body
conclusion
make sure you mention at least 3 sociologists!!

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CeallachM
Does anyone know what functions are performed by the education system?

Depends on the viewpoint:

Marxism: 3 main people are Althusser then Bowles and Gintis
produces subservient workforce
Teaches acceptance of hierarchy
Controls working class ideas
Transmits ruling class values
Myth of meritocracy
Etc

Functionalists are parsons (social solidarity, transmits norms and values) , Durkheim and Davis and Moore (role allocation by sifting and sorting)

The new right are Chubb and Moe, they believe that the education system has to have two functions: marketisation and parentocracy

Ythe sociologists you've done might be different. hope this helps!!!!
Reply 453
Original post by Dappteman
by using the internet questionnaires can be sent to a wide range of participants at little cost to the sociologist in question

though i would concentrate more on accessibility, who is getting the questionnaires, who has time to complete them, then go onto talk about right answerism

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Rebecca adams
what do you guys think the research methods will? i heard it might be experiments but I'm not sure how they would ask it? also i know the general issues with the methods but do you really have to revise research methods a lot because I've been focusing on education

I hate research methods but 50/90 marks are based on research methods
Is anyone revising functionalists?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think policies is pretty unlikely to come up, it came up in the family and household paper idk, i can't imagine them putting them in both
Original post by oreoprincess
But how is the structure? Do you answer it like a normal 20 mark essay but with out the introduction? And do you add criticisms or just talk bout the theory thats in the question

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes likea 20 marker but obviously in less detail. you do need to offer a contrasting view to the one mentioned
Reply 458
Original post by LEC1
Marxist views on education? So bowles and gintis, althusser and bordieu maybe

Kind of a weird question but can I use Reggie Yates: Extreme Russia as an exmple when talking about overt particaption. With the example of when he went around with the far right russians.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending