The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It kinda makes you wonder

The wizard with the sword is my hero.
Reply 41
Speleo
The wizard with the sword is my hero.

Noo! Rosie the Robot is so supremely better. And yes, I did just name the robot Rosie. She recites pi in a somewhat addictively unmusical fashion :proud:
Reply 42
Noo! Rosie the Robot is so supremely better. And yes, I did just name the robot Rosie. She recites pi in a somewhat addictively unmusical fashion

Face the facts man, Rosie is a talentless hack. Her stiff movement and monotone delivery can't compare to Sword-Wizard's powerful emotional performance.
Reply 43
Speleo
Face the facts man, Rosie is a talentless hack. Her stiff movement and monotone delivery can't compare to Sword-Wizard's powerful emotional performance.

She uses harmony at regular intervals - more than can be said for the pair of wizards, who just move up semitones, that were defeated by a mirror being used by a group of ethinically-sensitively-selected children who dance in circles and jump into books. Also, their moustaches are fake. So :p:.
Reply 44
She uses harmony at regular intervals - more than can be said for the pair of wizards, who just move up semitones, that were defeated by a mirror being used by a group of ethinically-sensitively-selected children who dance in circles and jump into books. Also, their moustaches are fake. So .

:frown:
You cut me deep that time.
Reply 45
Speleo
:frown:
You cut me deep that time.

But only because Rosie is so much better :p:
Reply 46
BRavichandran
But, did you know that many modern writers heavily drew inspiration from Wittgenstein for their post-modern works? I claim to be no expert here.

True; Wittgenstein's skeptisism over the certainty of knowledge did influence postmodernism; I am reminded of his failure to admit to Russell that it was certain that there was not a rhinoceros room, a discussion they had for many an hour. :p:
Reply 47
Wow, maths forum invasion.
Reply 48
Lusus Naturae
True; Wittgenstein's skeptisism over the certainty of knowledge did influence postmodernism; I am reminded of his failure to admit to Russell that it was certain that there was not a rhinoceros room, a discussion they had for many an hour. :p:

*coughs loudly* Nicholas - we were having a very intellectual discussion about the merits of "Rosie the pi reciting Robot" over "The Wizard holding the sword". You need to focus your attention to the proper debates - Wittgenstein and postmodernism are old news!!
Reply 49
Talk about invasion. I wanted to cool people's nerves, and have ended up getting insulted.

Einstein gave a famous equation for success. X + Y + Z = success. X is work. Y is play. Guess what Z is? (My New Year's Resolution :smile: )
Reply 50
Is that video your way of putting to rest any vestige of the rumour that this thread was full of competitively pseudo-intellectual tab wannabes?

[Christ, I should go to bed, I'm starting to sound like Profesh. :frown: ]
Reply 51
Speleo

This is only the beginning - Mathematicians, rise up! First this thread, then TSR, then the world!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!
Reply 52
No, you see it's all a metaphor: Rosie represents Russell and Sword-Wizard Wittgenstein, notice the initials are the same. The rhinoceros is pi. Rosie is reciting pi, or looking for the rhinoceros, while the Wizard, or Wittgenstein, refuses to believe them.
Reply 53
Is that video your way of putting to rest any vestige of the rumour that this thread was full of competitively pseudo-intellectual tab wannabes?

I'm facetious, not pretentious goddamnit! :tongue:
Reply 54
Speleo
No, you see it's all a metaphor: Rosie represents Russell and Sword-Wizard Wittgenstein, notice the initials are the same. The rhinoceros is pi. Rosie is reciting pi, or looking for the rhinoceros, while the Wizard, or Wittgenstein, refuses to believe them.

Ah - how was I so blind?! But surely pi represents the whole concept of postmodernism - Rosie (Russell) is talking profusely about postmodernism, whilst Wizard (Wittgenstein) looks on refuting everything that Rosie says. And in the end, they just end up having a laser battle. So it's actually a very accurate metaphor.
Reply 55
Speleo

We all know the Maths forum could *so* have the Cambridge forum :p:
Reply 56
RichE

[Christ, I should go to bed, I'm starting to sound like Profesh. :frown: ]

Now now - only insults that they'll understand. It's unfair otherwise. :p:
Reply 57
Wittgenstein actually co-wrote the original Star Wars trilogy with George Lucas, modelling many of the battle scenes after his epic duel with Russell.

PS - Interesting fact: Wittgenstein went to school with Hitler, they were a year apart IIRC
Reply 58
We all know the Maths forum could *so* have the Cambridge forum

We are certainly the sexier of the two forums.
Reply 59
henryt
Ah - how was I so blind?! But surely pi represents the whole concept of postmodernism - Rosie (Russell) is talking profusely about postmodernism, whilst Wizard (Wittgenstein) looks on refuting everything that Rosie says. And in the end, they just end up having a laser battle. So it's actually a very accurate metaphor.

Hardly, I think the postmodern view on maths would probably be fallibilist. I spoke to a maths education theorist one time who said he knew others in his country who were convinced a counter-example to Pythagoras' Theorem would be found one day. :s-smilie: :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending