The Student Room Group

AQA Physics GCSE P2 & P3 [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

Guys i think we should go through the CGP revision guide together on this chat.This might sound weird but if your hear and trying to revise then you probaly are stuck on all the Motor effect stuff etc. Shall we just start with page 74 of the CGP guide and sorta talk about it and tell each other facts as we go along. If anyone wants to join in this thing im talkin about then just send a reply on the post !
Original post by twilightniamh
if i got an A* in p1 a low B in p2 an A in p3 and a high B in coursework (1 off an A, 25% of final grade) what would my overall grade be??

I guess an A. :smile:
Can someone give me a summary/revision notes for lenses & the eye/electromagnetic induction? I was in hardly any of the lessons and when I tried to catch up the teacher didn't explain it very well (information was all over the place...) so it'd be really appreciated :smile: In return I can give you stuff on centre of mass/hydraulics
Can someone please explain to me in simple terms how to calculate the centre of mass of an object?
I don't understand it because the CGP book isn't very clear, in my opinion
Original post by MrTechGamer
Guys i think we should go through the CGP revision guide together on this chat.This might sound weird but if your hear and trying to revise then you probaly are stuck on all the Motor effect stuff etc. Shall we just start with page 74 of the CGP guide and sorta talk about it and tell each other facts as we go along. If anyone wants to join in this thing im talkin about then just send a reply on the post !

Well pg 74 on GCSE Physics for me is on atoms and ionising radiation, not the motor effect :redface:
For those doing P3 : I will post a note on all the electromagnetic studff every three minutes
Post 1 : When you pass a current through a wire , you get a magnetic field around the wire.
Original post by JezDayy
Can someone please explain to me in simple terms how to calculate the centre of mass of an object?
I don't understand it because the CGP book isn't very clear, in my opinion

1) If it's a symmetrical object just find the centre of all the points of symmetry

2) If it's an asymmetrical object you suspend it from a plumb line (basically a nail with a string & weight attached to the end of the string) & draw a line across it, & then repeat using different points around the object until you find the centre

Think this is right, hope it helps!
Post 2 : When you pass the wire(carrying the current) through a magnetic field between two magnets then the wire experiences a force.
Original post by ladyrailly
1) If it's a symmetrical object just find the centre of all the points of symmetry

2) If it's an asymmetrical object you suspend it from a plumb line (basically a nail with a string & weight attached to the end of the string) & draw a line across it, & then repeat using different points around the object until you find the centre

Think this is right, hope it helps!

Thank you so much!
Reply 310
Has anyone got any ideas on what the six marker will be for both P2 and P3 bearing in mind AQA's past 6 markers for the biology and chem exams?
Post 1 : When you pass a current through a wire , you get a magnetic field around the wire.

Post 3 : The force experienced by the wire is increased when the current or magnetic field is increased.
Post 3 : The force experienced by the wire is increased when the current or magnetic field is increased.

If the wire is parallel to the magnetic field then you get no force , and instead the wire has to be 90 degrees to the magnetic field.
P.s anyquestions you want answered just put a post
If the wire is parallel to the magnetic field then you get no force , and instead the wire has to be 90 degrees to the magnetic field.
P.s anyquestions you want answered just put a post

The force is reversed when current is reversed or direction of magnetic field is reversed.
Reply 314
can someone explain electromagnetic stuff and flemmings left hand rule please?
Reply 315
Does anyone know how to write a good answer to a forces question? The mark schemes always seem to change their mind on what they want, e.g. mentioning work done or not
The force is reversed when current is reversed or direction of magnetic field is reversed.

Now moving to Electromagnets:

They work by wrapping some coil of wire around soft iron core (which magnetises easily when current passed through )
Reply 317
Original post by ia33
Does anyone know how to write a good answer to a forces question? The mark schemes always seem to change their mind on what they want, e.g. mentioning work done or not

Let me give you a tip that textbooks and some teachers don't tell you

Gravitational Potential Energy = Work Done = Kinetic Energy

They are all equalled the same
Original post by NT99
can someone explain electromagnetic stuff and flemmings left hand rule please?

Your first finger ( index) is your field . Your second finger is your current. The direction of the field will be from north to south mag. poles. and current should be direction of wire.
Reply 319
Quick explanation on how a transformer creates a current in the secondary coil if anyone's stuck:

The alternating current creates a changing magnetic field in the iron core causing a potential difference to be induced in the secondary coil

Note: No electricity flows through the iron core, it's just that it becomes magentised
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending