The Student Room Group

Would these GCSEs hold me back?

Hey,
I am predicted 1 a*, 5/6 As, 1/2 Bs and a I think an F in Spanish. I go to a school that in 2014 had 18% of pupils achieve 5+ A* to C grades including maths and English, and 'inadequate' by ofsted. I'm wondering whether these GCSEs would be considered bad if applying for a top university, and would they look at the school I went to and would this make them more lenient? If I were to apply for Cambridge with very good a level predictions in the future would they consider me? (I know the interview etc. Is important too).

Original post by Cannoning
Hey,
I am predicted 1 a*, 5/6 As, 1/2 Bs and a I think an F in Spanish. I go to a school that in 2014 had 18% of pupils achieve 5+ A* to C grades including maths and English, and 'inadequate' by ofsted. I'm wondering whether these GCSEs would be considered bad if applying for a top university, and would they look at the school I went to and would this make them more lenient? If I were to apply for Cambridge with very good a level predictions in the future would they consider me? (I know the interview etc. Is important too).

It depends what subject you're applying for. If you get an A* in it and related subjects (or at least As in related subjects) you'll be fine. Also 92+ average UMS mark at AS but because of school quality they may be kind :smile:
Reply 2
Only 18%?? :eek:

My school gets 30% A*-C and I thought that was bad! Anyways, no I don't think your GCSEs will hold you back, they're pretty good

Quick Reply

Latest