The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Downing College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I'm a second year so I can attempt to answer any questions you guys have :smile:

Original post by impster
I really really hope they meant loan- all these forms are like a whole new test to see if we're smart enough! Hopefully they will tell us if we've obviously done something wrong because it won't match up?
I was getting worried about you guys doing crb checks as I hadn't had anything about that but now I realise that's subject related. Also anyone know when we hear about accomodation?

The forms can be quite confusing - and I think they've changed them since my time (Wow, I feel old...)

I can answer about accommodation though! You won't hear until late August / early September -really late. It will definitely be after results, so no need to worry yet :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 901
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Hey! I'm a second year so I can attempt to answer any questions you guys have :smile:

The forms can be quite confusing - and I think they've changed them since my time (Wow, I feel old...)

I can answer about accommodation though! You won't hear until late August / early September -really late. It will definitely be after results, so no need to worry yet :smile:

Thank youu- I'm sure we'll be bombarding you with qus over the next few months!
Original post by impster
I really really hope they meant loan- all these forms are like a whole new test to see if we're smart enough! Hopefully they will tell us if we've obviously done something wrong because it won't match up?
I was getting worried about you guys doing crb checks as I hadn't had anything about that but now I realise that's subject related. Also anyone know when we hear about accomodation?

haha they really are like tests! i'm debating ringing them up... but i'm scared they'll think i'm an idiot for not understanding the form!
so what subject will you be studying ? :smile:
Original post by charlotte9420
aww so it's all good anyways :biggrin: yeah i had to do a crb check too! completely messed up the front page by putting my first name in the surname box... so hopeless! hahaha that is exactly the kind of thing i would do! i bet the admissions office love us !
also i'm super confused about a form they sent in with the pack about financial support.. it's like, tick this if you've been assessed and are eligible for support.. or something along those lines. does it mean student loans or the whole getting grants thing ? :s-smilie:

I think the financial support Downing want to know about is the Tuition Fees Loans. But maybe look at all the stuff from student finance and see if you have a sheet called 'University or College Payment Advice', that seems to be what they want you to send in.
I don't know whether to send mine in because my student finance hasn't been finalised , so I was going to wait until its all done and dusted to send mine in.

After accepting my offer I haven't heard anything directly from Cambridge.I've had a letter from UCAS confirming my decisions but nothing else. Have you had any letters or emails?

and I though applying for uni was meant to be the hard bit haha
Original post by harricarter11
I think the financial support Downing want to know about is the Tuition Fees Loans. But maybe look at all the stuff from student finance and see if you have a sheet called 'University or College Payment Advice', that seems to be what they want you to send in.
I don't know whether to send mine in because my student finance hasn't been finalised , so I was going to wait until its all done and dusted to send mine in.

After accepting my offer I haven't heard anything directly from Cambridge.I've had a letter from UCAS confirming my decisions but nothing else. Have you had any letters or emails?

Getting in is the easy bit, it's being here that's hard :tongue:

If you have any questions about what to send in, email or call them, they really don't mind! Nothing bad will happen if you get it wrong, anyway, you'll just get a letter back telling you what you should send :smile:

Financial stuff is in all probability student finance info (for UK students).
Reply 905
haha they really are like tests! i'm debating ringing them up... but i'm scared they'll think i'm an idiot for not understanding the form!
so what subject will you be studying ? :smile:

Law :smile: Four and a half months suddenly doesn't sound that far away! What day were you guys interviewed on?
I already sent them the wrong thing once but the admissions lady was very nice in her email ..! Hopefully not beginning to regret their decisions already lol
Original post by impster
Law :smile: Four and a half months suddenly doesn't sound that far away! What day were you guys interviewed on?
I already sent them the wrong thing once but the admissions lady was very nice in her email ..! Hopefully not beginning to regret their decisions already lol

ahh brilliant :smile: yeah, it's going to come around really quickly ! i just know i'm going to be a nervous wreck for most of the summer though whilst waiting for results :s
my interview was on the 12th december! when was yours?
haha definitely not! they probably just enjoy having a laugh at our mistakes to be honest :P

yeah i think you must be right.. just got to actually finish my student finance form now :P
i haven't heard anything from them either. i imagine we probably won't hear anything until results day or whenever they send out accommodation forms :smile:
Reply 908
ahh brilliant :smile: yeah, it's going to come around really quickly ! i just know i'm going to be a nervous wreck for most of the summer though whilst waiting for results :s
my interview was on the 12th december! when was yours?
haha definitely not! they probably just enjoy having a laugh at our mistakes to be honest :P

6th
Good luck with your exams if they're still going on :smile:
Original post by impster
6th
Good luck with your exams if they're still going on :smile:

thank you :smile: mine haven't even started yet sadly :frown: good luck with yours if you've still got some !
Reply 910
Counting down the days until I meet you all :smile: Does anyone else have a pre-sessional course that starts in September?
Does anyone know when we hear about sorting out accomodation? I'm scared i've missed something and I'm going to end up living under the stairs haha
Does anyone know when we hear about sorting out accomodation? I'm scared i've missed something and I'm going to end up living under the stairs haha

You probably won't hear until after results, so don't worry :smile:

(that's how they've done it for the past few years anyway :biggrin:)
Original post by Topaz_eyes
You probably won't hear until after results, so don't worry :smile:

(that's how they've done it for the past few years anyway :biggrin:)

Phewww thankyou :smile:
Reply 914
hi, I just received my IB result, I got 5 in physics HL, 6 in chemistry HL and 7 in maths HL, 7 in language B HL, i did meet the condition of 776 in highers, but not total score 40, (only have 37), do i still have chance??? is chemical engineering popular in Downing, Cambridge??

thanks for any advice....!
Reply 915
Is Downing the closest college to where the medic lectures are held?
Hey! Just wanted to know which of the Cambridge colleges is least competitive but good for Economics?
Thanks!
Reply 917
Original post by 526540828
hi, I just received my IB result, I got 5 in physics HL, 6 in chemistry HL and 7 in maths HL, 7 in language B HL, i did meet the condition of 776 in highers, but not total score 40, (only have 37), do i still have chance??? is chemical engineering popular in Downing, Cambridge??

thanks for any advice....!

Call them or send a letter/email right away.
I got in last year even though I didn't quite meet the conditions, so it's definitely possible but don't get your hopes up too much.
Hope you all got in!
Hi, does anyone know which accommodation is higher tier and which is lower tier? Also, what are the shared bathrooms like? Are they to be avoided?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending