The Student Room Group

[Official] Cambridge Law Applicants 2020

Hello all! :smile:

I am conscious that there is not yet a designated thread for the University of Cambridge law applicants for the 2019-2020 cycle, I feel it is a great way for us to become acquainted and make the process not feel as daunting. :biggrin:

If you want to introduce yourselves please do so by posting (as much of the following as you are comfortable with)

College Applied to:
Why Cambridge law at _______ college:
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Other universities you are applying to:
How are you preparing:
Type of school - State/Grammar/Independent/Other:

Feel free to discuss and if you have any questions please post them, we're here to look after and support each other!

College Invitations to Interview (as of 4 weeks ago...forgot to update this oops):

Downing: 9
St John's: 7
Trinity: 6
Jesus: 6
Fitzwilliam: 6
St Catharine's: 5
Christ's: 5
Pembroke: 5
Gonville and Caius: 4
Trinity Hall: 3
Magdalene: 3
Emmanuel: 3
Sidney Sussex: 3
Trinity: 3
Magdalene: 3
King's: 3
Homerton: 2
St John's: 2
Robinson: 2
Selwyn: 2
Murray Edwards: 1
Peterhouse: 1
Clare: 1
St Edmund's: 1
Newnham: 1
Churchill: 1
Queen's: 1
Girton: 1
Wolfson: 1

Please fill in this form if you have received an invitation to interview

Please go to this website to view who has received an interview
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

College Applied to: Magdalene

Why Cambridge law at _______ college: Well, I love Cambridge and hate the hustle and bustle of London - basically, it would be great to venture out of sprawling megalopolises for a bit. Magdalene is just tranquil - it's the college with the greatest share of River Cam and Pepys Library is stunning! The only thing that irks me is basically that Magdalene is miles away from the Sigwick Site - no worries I'll rent a bike.

Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: Biology, Chemistry, Pure Maths

GCSE grades: Wow...as I'm a third culture kid, I didn't do my GCSEs conventionally - self-studied and got A*A*AA in IGCSEs two years early.

Other universities you are applying to: UCL, LSE, King's (London), SOAS

How are you preparing: Reading the law section in the Guardian and some good books like 'What about Law'
Original post by nhya1998

Why Cambridge law at _______ college: Well, I love Cambridge and hate the hustle and bustle of London - basically, it would be great to venture out of sprawling megalopolises for a bit. Magdalene is just tranquil - it's the college with the greatest share of River Cam and Pepys Library is stunning! The only thing that irks me is basically that Magdalene is miles away from the Sigwick Site - no worries I'll rent a bike.

GCSE grades: Wow...as I'm a third culture kid, I didn't do my GCSEs conventionally - self-studied and got A*A*AA in IGCSEs two years early.

How are you preparing: Reading the law section in the Guardian and some good books like 'What about Law'

Hello!

Your comment about renting a bike tickled me, how comes you didn't pick somewhere closer? Pepys Library is beautiful, as is nearly enough everything in Cambridge. That is so interesting that you're studying sciences and applying for law, you'll definitely be snapped up for TCs if you do decide to go down that route!

Me neither, I got not very impressive GCSEs and self taught myself 4 of the 10 I did, I'll post my info soon :smile:

The law section is apparently loved by Cambridge!
Wow this thread was very much needed!!
Why Cambridge law at Gonville and Caius college: Ok so obviously Cambridge is the best uni in the country for law so there's that and also because its bloomin' beautiful and I feel like I would fit in with the people there. Caius is absolutely gorgeous and I love how central it is and the fact that you pre-pay for meals so you're more likely to dine with people in hall rather than eat alone in your room. The accommodation is so nice and I really like that there is a female master bc it tells me a lot about the values held by the college :smile:
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: English lit - A*, History - A*, Economics - A, EPQ - A*
GCSE grades: 99988877777
Other universities you are applying to: LSE, UCL, Nottingham, Leeds
How are you preparing: I'm re-reading the books on my ps, bought a book on roman law bc I find it really fascinating and mentioned my interest in it in my SAQ. I bought a CLT prep book and oxbridge interview book from amazon (don't know if they're any good yet as they haven't arrived but will update whether they're worth it), reading 'what about law', researching my interests in human rights law so that I can talk about them at interview and just going over my ps.

Good luck my law peeps and I hope that we see each other next year:rolleyes:
College Applied to: Jesus
Why Cambridge law at _______ college: Why cambridge- love being intellectually challenged and love the competitive environment- thought I'd definitely regret it if I didn't give it a shot! Why Jesus- I loved how close it is to the town centre whilst still being sort of tucked away and having lots of green space and beautiful grounds- I could really see myself there
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: History- A*, English Lit- A, Biology- A, EPQ- A*
GCSE grades: A*999888876
Other universities you are applying to: UCL, Bristol, Leeds, Glasgow
How are you preparing: Re- reading books I mentioned on PS, getting others to ask my questions about my PS, keeping in touch with the Law pages on a few different news sites (Guardian, Telegraph etc)
Original post by shanelizard
Why Cambridge law at Gonville and Caius college: Ok so obviously Cambridge is the best uni in the country for law so there's that and also because its bloomin' beautiful and I feel like I would fit in with the people there. Caius is absolutely gorgeous and I love how central it is and the fact that you pre-pay for meals so you're more likely to dine with people in hall rather than eat alone in your room. The accommodation is so nice and I really like that there is a female master bc it tells me a lot about the values held by the college :smile:
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: English lit - A*, History - A*, Economics - A, EPQ - A*
How are you preparing: I'm re-reading the books on my ps, bought a book on roman law bc I find it really fascinating and mentioned my interest in it in my SAQ. I bought a CLT prep book and oxbridge interview book from amazon (don't know if they're any good yet as they haven't arrived but will update whether they're worth it), reading 'what about law', researching my interests in human rights law so that I can talk about them at interview and just going over my ps.

Thank you for posting! :smile:

What did you do your EPQ on may I ask? We take two of the same A Levels! Which topics do you do for History? Ahhh, great to finally find some law applicants!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Aliceanne
College Applied to: Jesus
Why Cambridge law at _______ college: Why cambridge- love being intellectually challenged and love the competitive environment- thought I'd definitely regret it if I didn't give it a shot! Why Jesus- I loved how close it is to the town centre whilst still being sort of tucked away and having lots of green space and beautiful grounds- I could really see myself there
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: History- A*, English Lit- A, Biology- A, EPQ- A*
GCSE grades: A*999888876
Other universities you are applying to: UCL, Bristol, Leeds, Glasgow
How are you preparing: Re- reading books I mentioned on PS, getting others to ask my questions about my PS, keeping in touch with the Law pages on a few different news sites (Guardian, Telegraph etc)

Thank you for posting on the thread!

Which books did you mention on your personal statement may I ask? :smile:
College Applied to: Downing College
Why Cambridge law at Downing college: If I am perfectly honest it was the first college I visited and also I came back to it at the end of the day, no other one came up and I just got an incredibly good feeling from it. I was speaking to an undergraduate about legal issues we both found fascinating and it really made me consider that this is somewhere I can be. Aside from the obvious infatuation with the supervision system it's the idea my 'silly' questions that I stay up pondering could be answered by leading academics.
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: Politics (A*), History (A) and English Literature (A)
GCSE grades: 87AABB554C (missed two years of school, self taught 4 GCSEs and did all courses in one year (except English Lang and Maths: ECF submitted)
Type of school: Independent
Other universities you are applying to: Durham, Exeter, Leeds and Nottingham
How are you preparing: I am rereading the books I mentioned and also reading some others, I am just staying up to date and preparing for (hopefully!) taking the CLT
(edited 4 years ago)
Why Cambridge law at Trinity college
I’m Indian and I know so many amazing Indians went there (our first ever PM since independence). So it’s pretty personal for me.
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades:
History (A*) Economics (A*) Government and Politics (A) and I already have an A in Business Studies.
GCSE grades:
Pretty ****ty but my school has put in a Extenuating Circumstances Form.
Other universities you are applying to:
Kings, LSE, Queen Mary ( offered A,A) and SOAS
How are you preparing:
Done my LNAT, my school is doing interview prep for all the Oxbridge applicants. I’m just writing random essays from the sample papers and getting them marked. Also re-reading books from my ps and reading some other books that interest me for this extra bits to talk about.
College Applied to: St. Edmunds
Why Cambridge law at St. Edmunds college: I chose St. Edmunds specifically because I am applying to the program as a 22-year-old affiliate student, and I really valued the opportunity to have a community of individuals closer to my age. Cambridge law, in general, is so highly regarded, especially with public international law which is what I plan to pursue after obtaining my L.L.B.
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: I am an international student from the U.S., so my qualifications are my Global Political Science bachelor's degree with a Biomedical Sciences minor. I am set to graduate with a 3.85/4, or the first-degree equivalent.
GCSE grades: N/A
Other universities you are applying to: (All senior-status/graduate-level programs) Leeds, Exeter, Kent, Queen Mary's
How are you preparing: I am revisiting some of my class materials to refresh myself for the interview, as well as glancing at preparatory essay exam questions for the Cambridge law test.
Original post by ohdearstudying
Hello!

Your comment about renting a bike tickled me, how comes you didn't pick somewhere closer? Pepys Library is beautiful, as is nearly enough everything in Cambridge. That is so interesting that you're studying sciences and applying for law, you'll definitely be snapped up for TCs if you do decide to go down that route!

Me neither, I got not very impressive GCSEs and self taught myself 4 of the 10 I did, I'll post my info soon :smile:

The law section is apparently loved by Cambridge!

Haha I'm not thinking about TCs yet...doubt if even one uni I applied will give me an offer...Sigh. Anyway, I love both - the logic behind the sciences and the thinking required in law - they just match miraculously. I don't know...I was basically scrolling pics for different colleges that day (haha I bet that's the best way of choosing a college) and Pepys Library is so homey- I guess a place has to be quite friendly to make you wanna be there for three years so might as well.

I've looked at Selwyn as well but apparently it's very competitive since it's just next to Sidgwick Site so I just went with my intuition.
Original post by shanelizard

Wow looks like somebody is going to snatch that offer haha! I have just started reading 1984 (the George Orwell one) and it's super creepy...kind of makes me think if we're already living in that kind of world (it's just not as explicit)

How are you preparing: Reading the law section in the Guardian and some good books like 'What about Law'H

Have you heard anything back from SOAS yet? You're the only other person I've found that applied there for Law
Haha I'm not thinking about TCs yet...doubt if even one uni I applied will give me an offer...Sigh. Anyway, I love both - the logic behind the sciences and the thinking required in law - they just match miraculously. I don't know...I was basically scrolling pics for different colleges that day (haha I bet that's the best way of choosing a college) and Pepys Library is so homey- I guess a place has to be quite friendly to make you wanna be there for three years so might as well.

I've looked at Selwyn as well but apparently it's very competitive since it's just next to Sidgwick Site so I just went with my intuition.

Robinson is fairly close to the Sidgwick as well. But not as pretty as Selwyn.
Thank you for posting! :smile:

What did you do your EPQ on may I ask? We take two of the same A Levels! Which topics do you do for History? Ahhh, great to finally find some law applicants!

I did my epq on the origins of the Rwandan and Darfur genocides and basically aimed to be explore their similarities. I do Nazi germany and tudors, Wbu? :smile:
Wow looks like somebody is going to snatch that offer haha! I have just started reading 1984 (the George Orwell one) and it's super creepy...kind of makes me think if we're already living in that kind of world (it's just not as explicit)

Hehe thank you! 1984 is such a great read
College Applied to: Downing College
Why Cambridge law at Downing college: If I am perfectly honest it was the first college I visited and also I came back to it at the end of the day, no other one came up and I just got an incredibly good feeling from it. I was speaking to an undergraduate about legal issues we both found fascinating and it really made me consider that this is somewhere I can be. Aside from the obvious infatuation with the supervision system it's the idea my 'silly' questions that I stay up pondering could be answered by leading academics.
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: Politics (A*), History (A) and English Literature (A)
GCSE grades: 87AABB554C
Other universities you are applying to: Durham, Exeter, Leeds and Nottingham
How are you preparing: I am rereading the books I mentioned and also reading some others, I am just staying up to date and preparing for (hopefully!) taking the CLT

Downing is beautiful and apparently the accommodation is amazing (double beds wow what a luxury!):h:
heyy when exatcly did u do your epq cause i want to do one now in year 12 so that it will be marked before i apply was that the case for you?
Original post by ahmed8542
heyy when exatcly did u do your epq cause i want to do one now in year 12 so that it will be marked before i apply was that the case for you?

I started mine in October I think and submitted in May. Got my predicted result at the beginning of y13. Hope this helps :smile:
College Applied to: Gonville and Caius
Why Cambridge law at _______ college: Caius felt right.
Subjects you are studying: Maths HL, Chem HL, Econ HL, Bio HL, Literature SL, and Spanish Ab SL
Predicted grades: 6 Maths, 6 Chem, 7 Econ, 7 Bio, 6 Lit, 7 Spanish -- 39/42
Other universities you are applying to: Durham, LSE, UCL, King's
How are you preparing: Not preparing yet... my school doesn't offer any help so I plan on asking Cambridge Law and LSE Law graduates (friends of my father). If anyone has any tips on how to prepare, please let me know.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest