The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

New College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by dhjones94
Would love to get to know people before freshers!

Yep :smile: What course?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 181
For those who had an interview for law, would you mind sharing how the interview was structured - like were you given a legal document and then discussed it or was it purely a question referring to legal ideas? Also, were there any extra tests?

Thanks guys!
Original post by amritsg
For those who had an interview for law, would you mind sharing how the interview was structured - like were you given a legal document and then discussed it or was it purely a question referring to legal ideas? Also, were there any extra tests?

Thanks guys!

Been wondering the same^. Help would be much appreciated! Especially if they look for reasoning over your answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello all, only just realised this was here - have an interview for Classics at New College next week!
Reply 184
Hi everyone!
I'm currently stuck between New, Trinity and Brasenose. I'm hoping to apply for Classics IIA this October. Why should I apply to New? I'm mainly interested in the accommodation, the food (is it really that bad?), the ratio of arts/science students, how academic the college is and the friendliness of the tutors. :smile:
Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vi0laa
Hi everyone!
I'm currently stuck between New, Trinity and Brasenose. I'm hoping to apply for Classics IIA this October. Why should I apply to New? I'm mainly interested in the accommodation, the food (is it really that bad?), the ratio of arts/science students, how academic the college is and the friendliness of the tutors. :smile:
Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

New and Brasenose were my final two choices last year and I picked New. I loved that it had absolutely no reputation whatsoever. The students all seemed to be pretty different but still tolerant and friendly (now I'm making friends just before uni starts and that seems totally true). I also liked that it seemed well-performing but still had fun, that it had beautiful gardens with a mound in the middle, that it was really large, and that it's conveniently located (5 minutes from the centre, 2 from the Bod, 2 from the Exam Schools where most humanities lectures are, 2 from the Law Faculty).

The accommodation is superb - most rooms are en-suites and those which aren't share bathrooms between two people only. In the second year you can pick between an en-suite and kitchen access. Third years have to live out. Can't say a lot on the food as I only tried it while I was at interviews. Having grown up in India I do love spicy/tangy food, and had heard a lot about bland British food, but New's food was actually nice so there's a positive indicator.

As per this document (http://www.new.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/sites/all/files/Undergrad%20Subject-Related%20timetable%202014.pdf), New has 55 kids doing science and 65 doing humanities so 11:13, which is good if you're looking to do Classics.

I'll be doing Law so idk about Classics but at interviews, out of 3 tutors, two were amazing and the other was really nice as well (one tutor has a beautiful dog called Cosmo!).

Original post by LuxVeritatis
x

Want to add anything about Classics (re. the tutors etc.)?
Original post by vi0laa
Hi everyone!
Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say that the accommodation at new college is really nice, even the smaller rooms (and one of my friends had the 5th (?) smallest room in our year). Most are ensuite, and those that aren't only share with a few other people (one or two maybe). One thing that may sway you though is that new college doesn't guarantee accommodation for all 4 years of the course - you would probably have to live out in third year (there is some 3rd year accommodation though) but I see this as a positive and am looking forward to living in a house with my friends for a year.
I'm terms of food, I really wouldn't say its bad, but then I'm not particularly fussy. I don't really know about the ratio of arts/science students, but would guess its fairly even as we offer most courses and going from my friends we're pretty evenly split (although have a few more arts student and may not be representative).
In terms of academic, I would say that really this is up to you. Everyone at Oxford, whatever college, will work hard.
As I'm not a classicist I don't really know about the course and tutors that much, although one of my friends does classics and seems to be really happy with them. The classicists are actually on a reading week in Greece at the moment with their elderly tutor (David)...

Edit: oh, and Jane has a hairstyle that amazes all those that see her :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Is anyone still watching the post? I am just wondering would it be difficult to apply for this college for the high ranking in the Norrington table?
Reply 188
Hi I was wondering if there were any places to study that's open 24 hours? I know that the library is open until midnight but are there any other areas with access at any time? Thanks :smile:
Reply 189
Original post by spak
Hi I was wondering if there were any places to study that's open 24 hours? I know that the library is open until midnight but are there any other areas with access at any time? Thanks :smile:

Hi! Not sure if this will be helpful as it's such a late reply but no unfortunately there aren't any places open 24 hours :frown: - there is a room the porters can open up for you after midnight but it depends on why you want to use it and how many people will be in there (it's their discretion). Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending