The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

IBblonde
Okay, you asked for it. Here is how i found beauty in maths, and the meaning of life in vectors- this is an excerpt from my blog.

"A man and a woman are walking towards eachother on two seperate vectors. Show that they will collide."

Today for the first time I did what my maths teacher has been encouraging for over a year now: I found beauty in maths. I was just mucking around trying to work out speed and velocity, and suddenly it hit me how awesome it was that these two people were travelling on their own vectors, and it just so happened that they were both at (7, 12) when t=9. Like, what are the odds of that? What are the odds that, of all the vectors they could have taken, they ended up there?
And then I started thinking about how much it reflects life. Sometimes colliding with people takes the most random vector.
But then I took a look at the question again, and i thought to myself, there must be so many other people moving on their own vectors, on the same axis, that aren't going to collide with man and woman. So many possibilites. I'll never know who i might have collided with had i taken a different vector.
And really, the only reason we care about man and woman is that they collide: the question and the vectors were selected by whoever wrote the book in order for that collision to happen. Mathematical fatalism.
The concept of fate isn't that hard to consider when we look at life like a series of collisions. Its no wonder people cant cope with atheism: they simply cannot believe that the beautiful collisions of life really were random. They don't want to consider that other vectors would have made them happy too.
But realising that my arrival at this particular point was completely improbable just makes me appreciate it more. I love the randomness that got me here: not just me, but the beautiful, wonderful people Im colliding with.

Then i blathered on for a few hundred words about various people in my life i appreciate but i doubt it will be of any interest.
and PLEASE i think that totally wins the little "contest to see who has become the most pathetic on our IB journey". I challenge you all to outdo it.

OK - first off IBBlonde doesn't actually know that I accidently stumbled accross this site this afternoon. ahh well.

See there are a lot of places that this piece of wisdom can take us.

PROOF OF ATHEISM
Renowned philosopher Richard Dawkins (among many others) has come up with a thesis for the creation of the universe that goes something like this:
Although it is very unlikely that we are the only life in the universe - perhaps a billion billion to one - there are at least a billion billion planets in the universe, so there must be at least one planet with life on it. The very fact that it is this planet means that we know about it. Life, the universe and everything, much to the dismay of Douglas Adams must therefore be equal to (7, 12), the only other occurence of similar probablity. The fact that we can demonstrate that one such unlikely occurence can occur (the man and woman collide), thefore demonstrates that such unlikely events can occur. Read any Dawkins for this to make more sense.

I could go on ... but my CD has just run out so I need to change it. MAthematical proof based on vector theory to come pending another very boring afternoon in the near future and IBBlonde not shooting me first :P
Reply 81
GAH! You're following me. Leave me alone!!
(Can someone important enough please give him bad rep points?)

PS I could add something about how improbable you running into me here is or I could simply conclude that you are stalking me.
IBblonde
GAH! You're following me. Leave me alone!!
(Can someone important enough please give him bad rep points?)

PS I could add something about how improbable you running into me here is or I could simply conclude that you are stalking me.

lol I just pos repped him for making me laugh :p:
Reply 83
Great. He's been here an hour and his rep's already better than mine. But I suppose thats okay... just shows how different TSR is to school.
ooh, snap!
hehehe ...

see i've survived IB already - so neah!!!
i just read all 5 pages n i do hav to say it made me laugh! not quite at the stage where im seeing life in vectors but im onli in the first year so mayb it is to come....dreading the time when it does lol
Reply 86
yeah itll come. depending on what maths you do.
Just make sure you have someone on hand to shake you and to remind you that understanding that vectors are the meaning of life doesn't guarantee you a 7 in Maths.
Reply 87
I this is a symptom of IB Dimploma Candidacy, last year my friend had a ring stuck on her finger and had tried everything to get it off but still couldn't, so one day she had a bright idea,:stupido2: She would get the ring of by osmosis,:laugh: so she put here finger in a bucket hoping that the water in her finger would diffuse out she forgot to things 1. her osmosis needs a semi permiable membrane 2. the concentration of water molecules outside finger was greater than the inside.;yes; In the end one of my other friend pulled it off after a large struggle.:laugh:
What about cooling it down so the finger gets less swollen?
simple physics...
Reply 89
Well, she doesn't do physics:biggrin:, and she was obviously having a moment:laugh:
lol or soap. soap makes your finger slipper. it slips off right away with some soap.
Reply 91
No she tried soap ;yes;
Reply 92
Bandev
I this is a symptom of IB Dimploma Candidacy, last year my friend had a ring stuck on her finger and had tried everything to get it off but still couldn't, so one day she had a bright idea,:stupido2: She would get the ring of by osmosis,:laugh: so she put here finger in a bucket hoping that the water in her finger would diffuse out she forgot to things 1. her osmosis needs a semi permiable membrane 2. the concentration of water molecules outside finger was greater than the inside.;yes; In the end one of my other friend pulled it off after a large struggle.:laugh:

:rofl:

if she wanted that to work she would have to dry her hand not soak it in water:p:

why do I know this?:confused:
Reply 93
That's awesome. Why did she put the ring there in the first place? Was she coffee deprived?
Reply 94
No think she had had it there for a year and one day decided to get it off and she couldn't. I don't think she drinks coffee.:hmmmm:
Reply 95
She should have told everyone that it was the One Ring. Then that guy from Lord of the Rings would have come and chopped it off for her. Simple! :smile:
Reply 96
IBBlondeswonderfulBF
hehehe ...

see i've survived IB already - so neah!!!

oh dear:ninja: we have a stalker on the loose:eek4:

welcome:girl: you're kind is loved here:p:
Reply 97
survived is a bit of an understatement. He got 44/45.
And he's here to do evil, i tell you! EVIL! I know what he is capable of!
Reply 98
OMG what a crazy person :eek:
I can only dream of 44 and they are in the best ones

that brings me to another symptom of IB diploma candidacy.

Dream about getting your mark,
I actually did that last week and I did see what I got overall in the dream but I know I got one 7 and two 5s that is in the dream.
Bandev

Dream about getting your mark,
I actually did that last week and I did see what I got overall in the dream but I know I got one 7 and two 5s that is in the dream.

I dreamt of getting 41. I never came. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending