The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Keble College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I am thinking of applying to study English there! What is the college like? Accomodation, bar, JCR, general environment, etc... toilets and kitchen facilities... the rent? Thanks xx
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
snugglyorange
Hello! I am thinking of applying to study English there! What is the college like? Accomodation, bar, JCR, general environment, etc... toilets and kitchen facilities... the rent? Thanks xx

Ok, I'll give a general summary, as this is page 1 and therefore it can then hopefully be read by lots of others.

Ok so I'm now a 3rd year physicist at Keble, so I've been hanging around the old place a while now. The college is one of the bigger ones in Oxford, in terms of number of undergraduates. It's architecture is very different to that of many colleges, being a red brick victorian gothic masterpiece (I can provide pics if you wish, but see first post for a general idea). It's one of the newer colleges, relatively, and was set up in the late 19th century by John Keble, a priest, to encourage applicants from state schools and it also means that the college has a few religious quirks (like many colleges - don't worry though, there is no obligations to attend church or anything!)

Accommodation is good in Keble. For the most part Keble can offer accommodation within college for at least 2 years of your course, and possibly for all of it if you are lucky. Accommodation is generally nice as Keble sucks up to the conference trade. Rooms are well furnished and there is a very high proportion of en-suite bathrooms (a relative rarity in Oxford). Every room is on the Oxford phone network and has access to the internet. You will though (as in the case of most colleges) have to completely leave your room at the end of every term, unless you are an international student in which case you may put some of your stuff into storage. Rent isn't too bad (£12-£15 a day at a guess, which is comparable with most of the other colleges in Oxford as far as I know. It also helps you only pay for the time you are here ie 27 weeks a year). It also includes all the water, electricity, net connection (but not food).

Kitchen facilities is something that Keble lacks really. The older quads (Pusey and Liddon) have a shared kitchen on each corridor, but a lot of the newer rooms (De Brayne, Sloane Robinson and Hayward) have no kitchen facilities at all, save for possibly a fridge and room for a kettle). Keble is though a fully catered college. Food is served in hall 3 times a day during the week and twice a day at weekends for every day during term (Not all colleges offer this). Food in hall is reasonable and reasonably priced). It's generally canteeny style food at lunch time - chips, salads, sandwiches, pies, pizzas, pasta + 1 set meal - and a more formal hall in the evening. This will be of the form of meat and vegetables (+ a vegetarian option) and will be served as a formal hall (ie you will be required to wear your gown and stand up while grace is read (or sung from the balcony as on Sundays)).

Keble's bar is big and spacious and has recently been overhauled. It's a 70s spacepod type thing, concrete and glass construction but still grade listed for its design. It serves all that you can want and they hold various events and bops in there to keep you occupied. The JCR is also well equipped with the usual sky tv, snooker table, table football and lots of comfy seats etc.

I would say the atmosphere is fairly friendly and informal. I always think of it as a friendly atmosphere (slightly blokey in a way - most the guys are into rugby) but very warm. Being a big college it can be hard to know everyone, but it's really not a problem with a bit of effort. I don't pretend to know everyone at Keble, or even in my year, but I know enough to make my time enjoyable at uni.

Of course one of the big bonuses with Keble (especially for those scientists) is it's good location. It's right next to the science area (I can get from college to lectures in 3 minutes) and is only a 5 minute walk from town. It's also fairly accessible for bringing your stuff too and from Oxford by car, though less so by train.

All in all it's a good college, and as most people at Oxford will tell you, I wouldn't change my college for anything.
Thanks, it sounds really good, but is there anywhere on a form or anything where you can put that you'd like to be in a hall with good kitchen facilities?
Reply 23
snugglyorange
Thanks, it sounds really good, but is there anywhere on a form or anything where you can put that you'd like to be in a hall with good kitchen facilities?

Well good would be pushing it, there's a microwave and possibly a fridge and a toaster - that's about it. No ovens at all (at least not until 3rd year). But yes, once you have an offer they contact you in about June/July time to ask if you have a preferred choice of accommodation.
F1 fanatic
set up in the late 19th century by John Keble, a priest,

Impressive, given he'd been dead for several years when the college was founded. It was actually founded by a group of members of the Oxford Movement (High Church Anglicans) and named in honour of John Keble, who was one of their leading lights. See also Pusey House on St Giles (whose buildings are being slowly annexed by St Cross) for another place founded by the Oxford Movement and named after one of them.
Reply 25
fredsmith365
Impressive, given he'd been dead for several years when the college was founded. It was actually founded by a group of members of the Oxford Movement (High Church Anglicans) and named in honour of John Keble, who was one of their leading lights. See also Pusey House on St Giles (whose buildings are being slowly annexed by St Cross) for another place founded by the Oxford Movement and named after one of them.

Ok yes indeed, good point, Mr Pusey etc actually founded it. Hence the names of the Keble quads
Reply 26
A few months ago I went to Keble, Jesus and Mansfield colleges as my shortlisted three.

On returning from that day, I immediately knew Keble was where I would apply because I really liked what I saw.

The interview process only increased this, and I enjoyed my five day stay there. I now have an offer from Keble for Law and I am really really looking forward to going!
Reply 27
Are you going to Keble next year? If so, for what subject!?

Finally, I have found someone else going there! :biggrin:
Reply 28
Well done!

Now I won't have to try out the bar alone....!
Reply 29
Consie
History, and hopefully i am yeah, providing i get AAA. I know - i cud never find anyone else who applied on here (though i made a keble thread to find out).

there were quite a few around actually, I was surprised by the number of Keble applicants I saw, for some reason it doesn't attract many tsr members. I'm the only regular TSRing current student. :frown:
Reply 30
Why were there so many Americans at interview? Is that just the common number at each college, or is Keble big on em?
Reply 31
Consie
Why were there so many Americans at interview? Is that just the common number at each college, or is Keble big on em?

Well, Oxford is very popular in America. I wouldn't say Keble noticeably has more than anybody else, but its possible that they all just happened to have their interview when you did.
Reply 32
Yeah, and I'd wager 90% of them were applying for Economics and Management judging from my enounter with then at dinner.
Reply 33
Consie
Yeah, and I'd wager 90% of them were applying for Economics and Management judging from my enounter with then at dinner.

I believe PPE is quite popular with Americans as well. Certainly arts subjects, I don't know many (read any) american scientists.
Reply 34
is E&M a science? I suppose its a Social Science. Americans doing PPE at a British university strikes me as a bit odd. Obviously a lot of theory is unverisal, so the policial/economic climate where you learn it wont have an effect, but isnt a lot of politics discussion of native political systems and having, and i'd bet even when you studied international aspects, it would probably have an Anglo-centric slant. Same goes for economics, though to a lesser extent.

I was looking at History in some of the Ivies, and most of it was American History, and wasnt even a separate subject. Apparently American school leavers are really lacking in historical and geographical knowledge since you dont have to take them/arent included in the highschool diploma system or somthing, and subsequently uni's dont have as great teaching methods.

What im saying is that i thought many arts/social science subjects are influecned a lot by where you learn them, depite having a study route that encompasses international affairs. If i was an American and planned on going back to America, it wud seem a bit weird to be taught to think like an Englishman (so to speak). But i guess a lot of it is just the kudos of doing PPE at Oxford.

Most of what im saying may be totally wrong btw.
Reply 35
Consie
is E&M a science? I suppose its a Social Science. Americans doing PPE at a British university strikes me as a bit odd. Obviously a lot of theory is unverisal, so the policial/economic climate where you learn it wont have an effect, but isnt a lot of politics discussion of native political systems and having, and i'd bet even when you studied international aspects, it would probably have an Anglo-centric slant. Same goes for economics, though to a lesser extent.

I was looking at History in some of the Ivies, and most of it was American History, and wasnt even a separate subject. Apparently American school leavers are really lacking in historical and geographical knowledge since you dont have to take them/arent included in the highschool diploma system or somthing, and subsequently uni's dont have as great teaching methods.

What im saying is that i thought many arts/social science subjects are influecned a lot by where you learn them, depite having a study route that encompasses international affairs. If i was an American and planned on going back to America, it wud seem a bit weird to be taught to think like an Englishman (so to speak). But i guess a lot of it is just the kudos of doing PPE at Oxford.

Most of what im saying may be totally wrong btw.

No I don't consider E&M a science, not even really a social science. At least in terms of it's style of teaching it's very much an arts subject in my view, but anyway...

What you say I agree with to an extent, it's true that such subjects would be biased towards the UK and less so of America, although with something like E&M then obviously it's fairly global. I think the main reason why it tends to be arts students is purely reputation. Oxford has a very good reputation for arts subjects nationally and internationally, which is not really backed up by its Sciences (or so the international consensus goes). PPE is a flagship Oxford subject, there's not many Uni's in the UK (and possibly in the world) who offer it in quite the same way. In that sense it has an appeal I suppose.

Also, there's the fact that the American's do seem to have an endless fascination with the UK and historical and cultural centres. Oxford has so much history that it is desirable to study there. Many American's like the British way of thinking and relish the opportunity to come to the uk. I for one wouldn't pass up the opportunity to study at a top American institution like MIT! Perhaps also the mentality of an arts student is more outgoing and international than that of a scientist - stereotypically less confident and outgoing and just wants to study the subject. I don't really know, these are just my opinions on it, I have no actual proof in any of it either.
Reply 36
I particulary agree with you on thier fascination with the 'old world' - from my experience its like they come over with a superiority complex (which, i guess, may have some foundation) and then chuckle at our quaint ways and good manners. I dont know if you get what im getting at - we're like the type of heritage/civil war place you'd pull over onto from the highway in America to have a quick look at and chuckle at it before moving on.

Anyway, I was told (i wasnt aware) that History was another flagship one. Is this true? I know htey have the biggest History faculty in the world, but i thought i was just another arts subject done by them; i.e. it didnt have any sort of 'jewel in the crown' status.
Reply 37
Consie
I particulary agree with you on thier fascination with the 'old world' - from my experience its like they come over with a superiority complex (which, i guess, may have some foundation) and then chuckle at our quaint ways and good manners. I dont know if you get what im getting at - we're like the type of heritage/civil war place you'd pull over onto from the highway in America to have a quick look at and chuckle at it before moving on.

Anyway, I was told (i wasnt aware) that History was another flagship one. Is this true? I know htey have the biggest History faculty in the world, but i thought i was just another arts subject done by them; i.e. it didnt have any sort of 'jewel in the crown' status.

I'm not sure it's a superiority complex as such. Perhaps in some cases, but in many others and those i have talked to it's more a fascination. We all are interested in things we don't have (the grass is greener etc...) and America doesn't have anything like the heritage we do. I think they find it amazing that we have things dating back 1000s of years, and more importantly that our history is so rich it's one on top of another! It is pretty amazing if you think about it.

I wouldn't have said History had that huge a reputation at Oxford. Law and Classics are the other ones that I would possibly put on the list, history less so to be honest but any subject at Oxford comes with some sort of reputation.
Reply 38
Consie
Why do you think im doing history lol - British history is the best in the world. Yeah, i didnt think history was a jewel in the crown. It takes in a lot of people mind - 300. I guess my experience is limited of Yankees' attiude to this place, you obviously have more exposure to them than i do here up north so probably have a more accurate opinion of it.

Well, I dunno, I don't speak to a huge number, though Keble has a lot of exchange students from Georgia University who come for just a term. I've spoken to quite a few of them.

I know history has a very big intake, it is certainly a big and reputable subject (even if we do all tease you for dossing about the whole time).
Reply 39
Consie
Its also opposite the sports fields and has a good rugby team, so i love it even more :smile:

It's opposite the Parks - that's not where Keble play their home matches though - St. Edmund Hall and some university teams use the Parks for matches. Keble's sports ground is on Woodstock Rd about 2 miles North of the college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending