The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is true. Normally, even an excellent university still takes high offers even in subjects which is not their strong point.

So, no offence, but you can imagine how the Business dept is at Durham. My cousin applied and received a BBC offer, although declined it to stay in London and accept an ABB offer.

Remember, entry requirements are just a marketing tool, nothing more. Sometimes, if they can't get the students they lower the offer, or if the amount of people studying a subject is competeitive, offers are carefully considered, hence why you also see institutions like KCL having given me an offer of BBC as well :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks that helped, I was just shocked that it was such a low offer. I'm sending of my ucas on monday and will just put it on as a safety net. Has anyone had any experience of these courses?
Reply 3
Many peope get offers of AAA to BBC. BBC is the minimum. The offer made is what is predicted on UCAS by your teachers.
Reply 4
walshie
It is true. Normally, even an excellent university still takes high offers even in subjects which is not their strong point.

So, no offence, but you can imagine how the Business dept is at Durham. My cousin applied and received a BBC offer, although declined it to stay in London and accept an ABB offer.

Remember, entry requirements are just a marketing tool, nothing more. Sometimes, if they can't get the students they lower the offer, or if the amount of people studying a subject is competeitive, offers are carefully considered, hence why you also see institutions like KCL having given me an offer of BBC as well :smile:

Yeah that's true. I got four A's for my A-levels and I am going to be studying Acc and Finance at Durham. Acc and Finance is getting more and more popular so the course requirement should change. And to be honest, people with higher grades apply for the business courses and usually get in. The offer of BBC is to attract applicants. I have said to many, don't see universities as schools but businesses. They have a business plan, wish to make money and most importantly, know what they are doing!
stupanico
Many peope get offers of AAA to BBC. BBC is the minimum. The offer made is what is predicted on UCAS by your teachers.

this is true, and the reason is that they want you to match your potential.

Ie i got made a ABB predicition by my school...so got a ABB offer from durham, which made me work hard, rather than 'aim' for a BBC and not work hard.
Erm.... isn't this just because the course is on the Queen's Campus and they're trying to drum up enough applications. My offer for Human Sciences is BCC. :smile:
wow another midlander in stockton!! Could this be possible? I thought i was the only one!!
pinkfeather76
wow another midlander in stockton!! Could this be possible? I thought i was the only one!!

Ooh where are you from and what are you studying? :biggrin:
Jo Taylor from Stevenson is from Birmingham, and she's Senior DSU Rep :biggrin: Midlands *and* DSU, she and I are the coolest people there.
durhamdosser
Jo Taylor from Stevenson is from Birmingham, and she's Senior DSU Rep :biggrin: Midlands *and* DSU, she and I are the coolest people there.

Aahh! :biggrin: I just read the 'Applied Psychology' thread and now I'm a bit unsure about Queen's again as a lot of people were slating the town :frown: What's your opinion on Queen's? x
loradora68
Aahh! :biggrin: I just read the 'Applied Psychology' thread and now I'm a bit unsure about Queen's again as a lot of people were slating the town :frown: What's your opinion on Queen's? x

I've been to Stockton twice, and it seems pretty nice. I wouldn't have chosen to go there, mainly because it seems like a campus uni and I didn't want that experience (also cos they don't offer artsy degrees there!) but I'd say Queen's seems to be good at what it does and what it sets out to do.

See, I may be from Hatfield but I'm not one of those Main Campus snobs :p:
durhamdosser
I've been to Stockton twice, and it seems pretty nice. I wouldn't have chosen to go there, mainly because it seems like a campus uni and I didn't want that experience (also cos they don't offer artsy degrees there!) but I'd say Queen's seems to be good at what it does and what it sets out to do.

See, I may be from Hatfield but I'm not one of those Main Campus snobs :p:

I'm glad to hear it! :smile: I've been offered a place (BCC) and even though my predicted grades are AABa, I thought the chance to do a course I really like (other prospective choice, Sussex) with Durham's rep was too good to pass up. I'm very confused with all this Uni malarkey :redface:.
durhamdosser

i agree Jo is cool!

to the other poster, i think Stockton is a love or hate place...and that its best to visit and make up your own mind.

it isn't the nicest place in the world, but on the other hand it is cheap and you can easily have a good time there. It just depends on what kind of person you are and what you want really.
Reply 14
Rooftopcowboy - your opinions change rapidly. Any chance your starting to love Stockton again?
BertieBassit
Rooftopcowboy - your opinions change rapidly. Any chance your starting to love Stockton again?

no, its just ive been away from it for nearly 5 weeks, ive forgotten what it can be like! ill be back to bitching about it in a few weeks dont worry:wink:

when i post on here i try not to let my own personal opinions influence advice id give to prospective students. I personally wish id chosen another uni and even another course, its not been awful, but i could have found a place that suited me better (in hindsight)

other people at queens campus love the place, and would never turn back the clock and go elsewhere. And i have no doubt that thousands of other applicants would also enjoy the campus.

so i try and give honest answers to people on here, but urge them to visit themselves and see what they make of it, as people have such wide ranging tastes. Just because ive not had the greatest of times, doesnt mean other people wouldent find it amazing, it does have good points as well as bad points.
Reply 16
Cheerio! Love the way you put that last sentence together! To me, it doesn't really matter about the social life in general (as I am looking for somewhere quiet because I am easily distracted believe it or not) but will be traveling to New Castle and back for ravin'. I hear they are quite close to each other by train?
BertieBassit
Cheerio! Love the way you put that last sentence together! To me, it doesn't really matter about the social life in general (as I am looking for somewhere quiet because I am easily distracted believe it or not) but will be traveling to New Castle and back for ravin'. I hear they are quite close to each other by train?

the train doesn't take long, costs about £9 return (cheaper with a rail card, more like £5) I went early last term for a day out, was fun.

but you cant really use it for clubbing, because the last train back on a night isn't very late, maybe even 9:30. Same for main Durham as well, the last bus back is 11pm..so you cant really have a decent night out.
Rooftopcowboy
the train doesn't take long, costs about £9 return (cheaper with a rail card, more like £5) I went early last term for a day out, was fun.

but you cant really use it for clubbing, because the last train back on a night isn't very late, maybe even 9:30. Same for main Durham as well, the last bus back is 11pm..so you cant really have a decent night out.

Theres a 2am train, so you can use it for clubbing. It's £5.10 return or £3.40 (YPR) - nowhere near £9!

Alex
bigred
Theres a 2am train, so you can use it for clubbing. It's £5.10 return or £3.40 (YPR) - nowhere near £9!

Alex

im talking about Queens Campus, not Durham

Latest