The Student Room Group

Economics at uni - where should I look?

I'm looking at economics courses for ABB-AAA grades and interested in Sussex, UEA, Birmingham, Sheffield and Manchester at the moment. Is there anywhere else anyone would recommend, all the top unis for economics seem to be A*AA and that isn't really realistic for me :frown:
I'm at Sussex right now. I like it here but what I will say is that majority of the modules are non-technical. Even if you're on the BSc, the majority of the modules are shared with BA students, many of whom don't have A-level maths.

Unless you know for sure you would prefer discursive modules rather than technical and have no intention of going onto a MSc in econ, then I would look for Universities that have technical options. Things to look for would be microeconomic and macroeconomic theory modules available in third year, game theory, two streams of 'Econometrics' modules (one stream being more applied, the other being technical).

Don't worry about about not going to a A*AA University. You can cover equally as difficult content at a ABB University - main difference will be that the exams are easier. From your list, I know that Manchester is good, but can't comment on the rest. Don't forget about Southampton - their course is fantastic, and there is a lot of choice.
Reply 2
http://university.which.co.uk/search/course?utf8=%E2%9C%93&c%5Bq%5D=economics&button=&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_0%5D=2&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_1%5D=2&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_2%5D=3&c%5Blower_points_bound%5D=320&c%5Bupper_points_bound%5D=360&c%5Bsubject_l2%5D%5B%5D=L100&c%5Bsort_fact%5D=relevance

A list of university courses that fit your grade requirements. You can toggle it and other search options through the Refine your search feature. It's a pretty good site that also gives you information on how likely it is you are to receive an offer (the percentage of applicants who receive offers) and student satisfaction. There's also a comparison feature.

I can also recommend unistats.com which uses survey data to give you a lot of information for specific courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending