The Student Room Group

Barcelona , Mallorca or Malaga?

Want to keep the this short.

- 17 Years old.

- June 15'

Extended family coming but the youth will separate and be giving lee-way to explore. ( so mix of family themed and youth theme e.g nightclubs )

No specific agenda , the holiday is too kill time until Sunny Beach in July ------ I just want to know from you guys which one you prefer and how it was when you went?

There's no budget and all 3 potential destinations come to a similar total expenditure.

Malaga
- Perhaps will have better weather than the other two?

Barcelona
- A favorite destination this year - is it too good too miss?

Mallorca
- Beautiful island . but should i try another part of Spain?

EXTRA QUESTION

Opinions on the canary islands in general?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Malaga I think would be a bit too night club themed for families, Barcelona is more for seeing the history, culture and attractions although there are good bars there and nearby a theme park called "Portaventura" which is absolutely insanely fantastic. I don't know much about Mallorca. But if I were you, certainly Barcelona as you can travel to other places on mainland Spain as well as explore the culture and the theme park I mentioned.
Original post by Caver
Malaga I think would be a bit too night club themed for families, Barcelona is more for seeing the history, culture and attractions although there are good bars there and nearby a theme park called "Portaventura" which is absolutely insanely fantastic. I don't know much about Mallorca. But if I were you, certainly Barcelona as you can travel to other places on mainland Spain as well as explore the culture and the theme park I mentioned.

I'd say Malaga but then I have a house about 45 minutes away
Reply 3
Original post by Caver

Oh okay thanks , regarding beaches i usually require high standards , would malaga or barcelona provide that experience?

and in terms of "night club" malaga are we referring to the certain" Britons whom lose their mind abroad"?
Reply 4
Original post by LevelTV
Oh okay thanks , regarding beaches i usually require high standards , would malaga or barcelona provide that experience?

and in terms of "night club" malaga are we referring to the certain" Britons whom lose their mind abroad"?

Barcelona is more classic and slightly more expensive so I'd definitely say Barcelona with that. And yes, it has a reputation for that! xD
Reply 5
Original post by jonathanemptage
I'd say Malaga but then I have a house about 45 minutes away

My local knowledge of malaga ain't great so is there any particular area of malaga that is the best overall for a mix of family and night clubs., from your experience?
Barcelona is fantastic but I think you get the most out of it going and doing some more cultural things, rather than doing kiddy things and going clubbing. I would go to Barcelona some other time (but definitely go). Malaga is nice but Mallorca is nicer for the same kinds of things.

The Canary Islands are very nice but it depends where you go. It's a volcanic sort of area and you can end up living in the shadow of dark mountains and spending hours driving around wiggly-windy precipitous cliff-edge roads. I dunno but whenever I've been the weather has been quite variable as well.

Mallorca has beautiful beaches, is very chilled out, nice food and also Palma has some good shopping and club type stuff if that's what floats your boat. So for what you describe, Mallorca has my vote.
Reply 7
Original post by seaholme
Barcelona is fantastic but I think you get the most out of it going and doing some more cultural things, rather than doing kiddy things and going clubbing. I would go to Barcelona some other time (but definitely go). Malaga is nice but Mallorca is nicer for the same kinds of things.

The Canary Islands are very nice but it depends where you go. It's a volcanic sort of area and you can end up living in the shadow of dark mountains and spending hours driving around wiggly-windy precipitous cliff-edge roads. I dunno but whenever I've been the weather has been quite variable as well.

Mallorca has beautiful beaches, is very chilled out, nice food and also Palma has some good shopping and club type stuff if that's what floats your boat. So for what you describe, Mallorca has my vote.

Any relaxed areas you can recommend in mallorca , even magaluf?

I've been santa ponsa ( something like that ) and playa de palma which seemed to have more Germans than explosive English which is better depending on the style of holiday.

Anyone got any ideas on Gibraltar? ( yes i know it's not in Spain ) , And how easy is it to cross the border if i'm staying in malaga for example.
Just got back from palma, majorca. Loved the beach and plenty of young people about but was a little targetted at german teenagers so dont expect utter peace and quite on the beach :tongue: the north of the island is much quiter supposedly but then there may not be so much on the bar/clubbing front so you could look at that to avoid the germans:tongue:
Yeah it very much depends which bit you get as to whether you hit the German part, the English part or the actual island! Germans aren't so bad on holiday though, much less of a mess than the English abroad... going to Ibiza has re-structured my whole idea of the English tourist. Soller, Santanyi and Pollenca are places I've had some really nice family holidays, but we didn't exactly sample the nightlife too much beyond a drink in a bar by the sea so maybe not the best person to ask if you want to go clubbing.

I think it's really easy to go from Gibraltar into the rest of Spain. I don't even remember there being any security, but we didn't stay in Gibraltar itself - just flew in and then hired a car to go elsewhere - so can't say more than that.

EDIT: also if you go to the North, there is this amazing mountain restaurant near Lluc called Es Guix and it's worth a nauseating mountain drive to get there. They have these amazingly blue (and freezing!) plunge pools of mountain water you can swim in after lunch. It's a really unique place.
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends where you go in Mallorca. If you want something more 'family' avoid Magaluf, anywhere else should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Malaga

is Fuengirola nice or is there better areas in malaga?

it looks like a mini bendiorm which means it loses its style.
I went away with extended family last year for my cousin's 18th, we needed the exact same holiday. They wanted clubbing, my mother, grandmother and. I wanted peaceful relaxation. So we stayed in Palma which was perfect, the girls could walk into Magaluf and we could be away from all the noise.

Although, I did just come back from a week alone staying outside Barcelona in Calella which was fantastic. I felt comfortable enough being alone (until I got adopted for the week by some guys).
Original post by LevelTV
My local knowledge of malaga ain't great so is there any particular area of malaga that is the best overall for a mix of family and night clubs., from your experience?

Yep Nerja is really nice lots of restaurants on the beach and as for night clubs there are loads of bars and night clubs up from the beach in the centre of town and on the Balcon de Europa which looks down on the beach and also out on to the med The two best known Bars are Hemming ways and H2O (Which has a certificate for excelence) but there are many more if you or your family are in to sight seeing there is a little village just up the road called Fririliana which is an old Moreish settlement just make sure you turn left in to the old part of the village not right in to the new part you'll know if you got it right because of the steps.

There is also a water park with loads of watersides called Aauavellis in Vellis Malagawhich is worth a vist ang great for Families with kids and adults of all ages.(some are quite extreme.)

hope i helped a little bit
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi people , we've narrowed it down to Malaga .

Regarding are preferences would you recommend

1. Fuengirola

2. Benalmadena

3. Torremolinos
I'd say Nerja would be best good beaches lots of bars and clubs and restaurants not to mention lots of little whitewashed villages a short way away

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
We have booked Benalmadena , although we do plan to visit some of the following Malaga city , Gibraltar , Nerja , Marbella , Torremolinos and Fuengiorla

Out of that list which one's would you recommend?
Barcelona. Lots of museums and you can do a tour of the Camp Nou, even if you aren't a football fan.
Reply 18
Original post by BorussiaDortmund
Barcelona. Lots of museums and you can do a tour of the Camp Nou, even if you aren't a football fan.

London has two of the biggest teams in the world i'm okay.
Original post by LevelTV
London has two of the biggest teams in the world i'm okay.

If you're talking about Arsenal and Chelsea :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest