The Student Room Group

What can I do if college has lost 6 months worth of BTEC coursework?

Essentially, its in the title.

Today, I found out that the college I go to has lost multiple units of my coursework. If that happened few months back, say January, I would be able to do these units again no problem, however because we have to give in everything (and I mean every single piece of work) in one week, I'm strictly speaking - ****ed.

What can I do, please help me :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't you save all your coursework on your computer? There might be a possibility for you to recover them.
Reply 2
Original post by Async
Don't you save all your coursework on your computer? There might be a possibility for you to recover them.

Unfortunately, the work that they lost was 3/4 handwritten, the essays that I typed on computer I was able to recover, but it still counts as a failure
Reply 3
Original post by leopatto
Unfortunately, the work that they lost was 3/4 handwritten, the essays that I typed on computer I was able to recover, but it still counts as a failure

Report your center to the exam boards :smile: or speak to your center about it
Reply 4
Original post by Async
Report your center to the exam boards :smile: or speak to your center about it

How will they be able to help me?
I'm pretty sure they tell the exam board along with your predicted grade

Then if they feel that the types bit is at the standard of what you are predicted, they should give your prediction since it's the school's fault-not yours
Kill them.
Like actually kill them.
WTF how can they do this? That's so irresponsible of them.
Wow.
Lodge complaints to exam board, the council the college is in, whoever oversees these things EVERYONE
I was fuming when my college lost one piece of my coursework that counted for like 20% of my AS grade (they eventually found it).
Original post by Olympiad
I'm pretty sure they tell the exam board along with your predicted grade

Then if they feel that the types bit is at the standard of what you are predicted, they should give your prediction since it's the school's fault-not yours

They never give you your prediction. Ever.
It's an urban myth that's made up.
Your mum and dad could die, you could be diagnosed with cancer, lose your limbs and be admitted to a psychiatric ward all in the same week and you still wouldn't get your predicted grade.
Reply 8
Original post by Crystalz
Kill them.
Like actually kill them.
WTF how can they do this? That's so irresponsible of them.
Wow.
Lodge complaints to exam board, the council the college is in, whoever oversees these things EVERYONE
I was fuming when my college lost one piece of my coursework that counted for like 20% of my AS grade (they eventually found it).

I don't want to jump on the 'file complaints' ship just yet. I messaged all my teachers, and I'm going back to college on Thursday to see if they found it. If not, then well... I'll have to file the complaints.

But let's say that I do file the complaints, what would the complaints result in, I couldn't find anything on google.
I don't want to jump on the 'file complaints' ship just yet. I messaged all my teachers, and I'm going back to college on Thursday to see if they found it. If not, then well... I'll have to file the complaints.

But let's say that I do file the complaints, what would the complaints result in, I couldn't find anything on google.

Very unfortunately for you, it'll just result in an investigation into the way the school handles coursework, someone may be reprimanded, positions may be shuffled and teachers will find themselves in a position where there is some kind of disciplinary action BUT if your coursework isn't found you'll just have to redo it. Maybe you'll get special consideration.. That adds 5% to your grade (nothing) which is why it really sucks.

I'm quite sure it will turn up though just pressure them to look harder because it HAS to be somewhere in college. Unless they took it home... In that case there's a larger **** storm for the teacher who's in charge. I doubt they would though they aren't allowed to.
Reply 10
Very unfortunately for you, it'll just result in an investigation into the way the school handles coursework, someone may be reprimanded, positions may be shuffled and teachers will find themselves in a position where there is some kind of disciplinary action BUT if your coursework isn't found you'll just have to redo it. Maybe you'll get special consideration.. That adds 5% to your grade (nothing) which is why it really sucks.

I'm quite sure it will turn up though just pressure them to look harder because it HAS to be somewhere in college. Unless they took it home... In that case there's a larger **** storm for the teacher who's in charge. I doubt they would though they aren't allowed to.

But... all the coursework is due in a week, I physically cannot do 6 months in one week.
Reply 11
Spend an hour doing it tomorrow? BTEC problems LOL
But... all the coursework is due in a week, I physically cannot do 6 months in one week.

Yeah I know, it's horrible of them to lose it but there's honestly nothing you can do but either submit this year or do another year. Which is why I'm so angry at your college (you should be too).
Reply 13
Yeah I know, it's horrible of them to lose it but there's honestly nothing you can do but either submit this year or do another year. Which is why I'm so angry at your college (you should be too).

Erm, unfortunately, you cannot give in this years coursework next year, because apparently BTEC changed the rules or something along these lines, etc. that's why I'm worried, because if I could resubmit next year there wouldn't be a problem.
Erm, unfortunately, you cannot give in this years coursework next year, because apparently BTEC changed the rules or something along these lines, etc. that's why I'm worried, because if I could resubmit next year there wouldn't be a problem.

It'll be around somewhere in school don't worry. You just need to PRESSURISE your teachers to make them search. Threaten them with complaints. They need to look and look fast to be honest. It's their responsibility not yours.
I did btec media in my gcse and my teacher lost ALL of my coursework which was 3 years worth. He didnt give a crap to tell me i found out when i had no media grade on my results. :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there any way you can appeal to the exam board for an extension?

Bear in mind you don't necessarily need another full six months - all the research, knowledge and planning is still in your head, you just need time to get it back down on paper.

However, your school are awful, and I hope they are extremely apologetic (for all the good it will do). And I hope they are spending every available second looking for it.

Good luck - I hope they find it.
Reply 17
Original post by Octohedral
Is there any way you can appeal to the exam board for an extension?

Bear in mind you don't necessarily need another full six months - all the research, knowledge and planning is still in your head, you just need time to get it back down on paper.

However, your school are awful, and I hope they are extremely apologetic (for all the good it will do). And I hope they are spending every available second looking for it.

Good luck - I hope they find it.

As I mentioned earlier, I will appeal on Thursday, if the coursework isn't found. I'm not sure what Edexcel will say, but I hope it is something that will benefit me.

And yeah the college is awful (ergh) but nevertheless I still got into top uni, so now it's just a matter of surviving another year :smile:

Thanks for the kind words stranger!
They never give you your prediction. Ever.
It's an urban myth that's made up.
Your mum and dad could die, you could be diagnosed with cancer, lose your limbs and be admitted to a psychiatric ward all in the same week and you still wouldn't get your predicted grade.

I'm sure you do if you have some evidence of conpletion of your coursework? I may be wrong

But a girl in my school completed most of her ICT coursework but then encountered some serious extenuating circumstances, which made it difficult for her to do the rest. The teacher told her to do as much as she can over the Easter holiday, and since she's got most of it - she can ask the exam board to consider that alongside her prediction to see if it matches.
Reply 19
Original post by whorace
Spend an hour doing it tomorrow? BTEC problems LOL

The OP has lost 6 months worth of work, that would be about 4/5 units in my BTEC i averaged 10,000 words per unit, stop being a dick

Quick Reply

Latest