The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Advantages/Drawbacks of going to University in London?

Hi, I've just finished my AS exams and I'm looking ahead to what courses to do and what Universities to apply to. I've found a course at King's which looks awesome - Politics, Philosophy and Law. This is only offered at King's as far as I know. I've always loved going to London - I've been going pretty much every half term since the age of 11, so I'm pretty familiar with the city.

However, both my mum and dad advise me not to go to London for University. They say it's too expensive, I'll be travelling a lot (which also costs), and the student life isn't as good because it's not a campus University and everything is too spread out. Could someone who is at Uni in London now, or has been in the past, tell me if these concerns are things to consider? Student life will be especially important to me as will financial issues, I come from a pretty modest family in Norwich, and although King's looks really good I'm a little bit worried about this stuff. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by AdAbsurdum
Hi, I've just finished my AS exams and I'm looking ahead to what courses to do and what Universities to apply to. I've found a course at King's which looks awesome - Politics, Philosophy and Law. This is only offered at King's as far as I know. I've always loved going to London - I've been going pretty much every half term since the age of 11, so I'm pretty familiar with the city.

However, both my mum and dad advise me not to go to London for University. They say it's too expensive, I'll be travelling a lot (which also costs), and the student life isn't as good because it's not a campus University and everything is too spread out. Could someone who is at Uni in London now, or has been in the past, tell me if these concerns are things to consider? Student life will be especially important to me as will financial issues, I come from a pretty modest family in Norwich, and although King's looks really good I'm a little bit worried about this stuff. Thanks :smile:

Honestly, people at king's don't admit this, but most of the people I speak to think of it: if you want a good community tight nit spirit that comes with a campus uni and also if you want cheap costs, do not come to kings or any London university.
The only advantages are if you get good flat mates and the night life and amazing skyline, but if you're broke and have no close mates, like any big city you can find it becomes isolating.

That's the honest - no bs guide to London universities ^
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Sykro
Honestly, people at king's don't admit this, but most of the people I speak to think of it: if you want a good community tight nit spirit that comes with a campus uni and also if you want cheap costs, do not come to kings or any London university.
The only advantages are if you get good flat mates and the night life and amazing skyline, but if you're broke and have no close mates, like any big city you can find it becomes isolating.

That's the honest - no bs guide to London universities ^

This is the kind of thing I expected to hear and thank you for being honest. I like the sound of a close nit campus much better to be honest, and with that probably will come good student life hopefully :smile: Thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest