The Student Room Group

Accommodation or Commuting

Hi
I’m going up to university this year. I live about 1 hour and a half away from my university so I can commute.
I’m scared though, if I commute will I get to have the opportunities as others like socially.
And if there are parties and I attend and if I’m commuting it would be a bother.
I got loan so I’m able to live at the dorms, all my friends and students who are at the university are telling me I should but my family think it’s a waste of money and I should commute and I’m okay with it but I don’t want to miss anything or go through with a lot of bother commuting. I’ll be a Film and media student so for me I’m guessing it’s more course work which is preferable for me and I won’t be that bothered with others at the dorm.

But to sum it up I don’t want to miss anything socially at university if I commute. I don’t know if commuting is better than accommodation is.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by CeCe56
Hi
I’m going up to university this year. I live about 1 hour and a half away from my university so I can commute.
I’m scared though, if I commute will I get to have the opportunities as others like socially.
And if there are parties and I attend and if I’m commuting it would be a bother.
I got loan so I’m able to live at the dorms, all my friends and students who are at the university are telling me I should but my family think it’s a waste of money and I should commute and I’m okay with it but I don’t want to miss anything or go through with a lot of bother commuting. I’ll be a Film and media student so for me I’m guessing it’s more course work which is preferable for me and I won’t be that bothered with others at the dorm.

But to sum it up I don’t want to miss anything socially at university if I commute. I don’t know if commuting is better than accommodation is.

Commuting, in my experience, is far from the ideal option when attending university. While many discussions have delved into its drawbacks, I can provide a personal perspective, having both commuted and lived in university accommodations.

In my commuting days, I regularly traveled distances that took between 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes each way. Such travel is not just about the time spent, but also the weariness and exhaustion that comes with it. When you factor in these commutes, you're looking at an astonishing 12 to 15 hours a week just in transit. Essentially, that's an entire waking day that you could have devoted to studies, hobbies, or personal growth.

Moreover, there's a tendency to skip classes when faced with the daunting prospect of a long commute for just a single lecture. This not only disrupts the continuity of one's learning but also robs the student of the comprehensive educational experience that attending regular lectures provides.

On the other hand, living in accommodation offers a plethora of advantages. Most prominently, it fosters personal growth. Immersed in a student community, you're exposed to diverse cultures, perspectives, and life stories, providing invaluable life lessons that go beyond the classroom. Furthermore, the time saved from commuting can be invested in personal interests. For me, this translated to consistent visits to the gym and engaging in various university-related activities.

In conclusion, while commuting might seem economical or convenient, the true cost is much higher. It's not just about time and money but also about the missed opportunities for growth, both academically and personally. I would wholeheartedly advocate for university accommodations over commuting. Not only does it enrich your college experience, but it also paves the way for a more balanced and fulfilling student life.
Original post by CeCe56
Hi

Hi there @CeCe56, :smile:

Firstly it's great to hear that you are starting university this year!

Commuting 1 hour and a half hours, twice a day would take up a lot of your week. Personally I think living in student accommodation is an amazing experience and it's perfectly normal for you to feel unsure about whether to choose this as it's something completely new. I found moving away from home really helped build my confidence and I developed on skills like budgeting and time management. I really enjoyed being able to have my own space and independence away from home and meeting new flat mates.

I found being right in the heart of a university campus beneficial for having easy access to my classes and tutors as well as the library and sports centre where I joined a badminton club. You do need to think where will you be the happiest. I would give student accommodation a try and if you are unhappy there you can always move back home.

All the best,
Sarah
Original post by CeCe56
Hi

Hi there,

Nice to hear that you will be going to University this year. It is normal to feel a little excited and worried when choosing accommodations. I am a student at the University of Kent and I have lived on campus for two years now. I hope sharing my experience can help you to make a decision. :smile:

I chose to live on campus, as my course consists of quite a few lectures and would prefer if I could arrive on time. Being on campus allowed me the ease of access to the lecture halls and other facilities.

I think the same applies to socials as well, as things may be organised suddenly and arranging for commute on the same day may be sometimes inconvenient. Sometimes people can get quite tired after socials, and depending on the mode of commuting, you need to think if you will be able to travel safely (for example, driving when you're tired is not quite ideal).

For me, I find that my accommodation has been quite peaceful. Most my assignments are also coursework and I have been able to complete these properly without distractions on campus. Overall, I would recommend living on campus, it really helped me build my confidence and independence. I hope this helps. :smile:

Chloe
- University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending