The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
If you want opinions about which is better I would post this in the uni courses > maths forum. Less likely to get a skewed opinion.

If you just want course details then there are some mathmos in here i think, maybe but you might also want to try the uni website www.dur.ac.uk
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Durham is better for Mathematics than Warwick (only by one place though). Does that really bother you or are you there solomly for the fun? P.s. I've attached a link to the league table for Maths.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html
If there is only one place in it then don't make your decision based on that, league table fluctuate a lot year to year. Visit both places and see for yourself
Reply 4
do not follow the league table as they do change and not that accurate. but i think that for maths i would go to Warwick, at UCL there is always a lot of talk about IB and the only names i hear around are Oxbridge, LSE, ICL, UCL and Warwick. Durham is not really "up there" with the others!
Reply 5
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz IB zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Reply 6
you may say zzz but 80% of people on maths degree hope to go into financial services!
Reply 7
I'd rather talk to the remaining 20% thank you very much.
Reply 8
you a mathemo? i guess it does get a lil boring, id liek to do it for the money like everyone else
Reply 9
No, I'm a Geographer but I have a general/genial disdain for IB-obsession.
Reply 10
Yes. I want to steer clear of all that IB/finance crap whenver I graduate. Dull dull dull. I'm not sure what else is left though...
Reply 11
Christo
Yes. I want to steer clear of all that IB/finance crap whenver I graduate. Dull dull dull. I'm not sure what else is left though...

Precisely :rolleyes:
Reply 12
I've sat here thinking that you were referring to IB as in the International Bacculureate (how do you spell it?). I'd like the money that IB brings, I'm just not willing to work that hard in something that appears to be so dull,
i'd say i think durham is a better uni definitely and with a better reputation
Reply 14
Warwick, despite what the league tables say, is known to be better for maths but I would still pick Durham because of the city, the college system, the course....look at the different courses and options. Here are Durham's:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/natural.sciences/prospective/subjects/math/

(ignore the fact that this is on the natural science page - it just has a clearer list of the modules than on the maths page, so ignore the bit in the tables)

So far I'm finding bits of the course impossible (core B2 reasoning) but other areas I'm really enjoying and it's not too hard. I'd definitely go to an open day if you get the chance, you stay the night in college and look round the department the next day. I never had the chance but a lot of people say it's what made them choose Durham.

Latest