The Student Room Group

Can I switch from doing Mechanics to Further maths?

I've just done my AS, and I think I want to switch from doing mechanics to Further maths.

I've already done C1, C2 and M1 but I've heard that for further maths (edexcel) all you need is FP1 and FP2 as well as C3 and C4.

Is this possible?
Original post by bittersweet009
I've just done my AS, and I think I want to switch from doing mechanics to Further maths.

I've already done C1, C2 and M1 but I've heard that for further maths (edexcel) all you need is FP1 and FP2 as well as C3 and C4.

Is this possible?

You can do a pure maths A level with edexcel with C1-4 and two FP units. Your M1 result would then be unused. Not sure why you would want to or if your school would allow it - mine wouldn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2

Is this possible?

Nope, you would also need M2 M3 and M4, so good luck.

Is this possible?

Surely this means that you'll be doing A2 maths and AS further next year? C1, C2, M1 you've done for AS maths, and next year you'll have to do C3, C4 and another applied module (maybe S1, D1 or M2) for AS Maths. For AS Further you'll then need, FP1 and two other applied modules. It really depends on what modules your school offer and whether you have a choice. So you'll end up doing 6 modules for maths next year if you therefore want an AS Further grade and an A2 Maths grade by the end of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending