The Student Room Group

How are A-levels changing?

I'm 20 atm and had a change of career plans, and decided to go back to college.
I want to study Maths/FM/Biology/Chemistry and physics if I'm allowed otherwise those 4.

I've heard there are changes to a-levels, but how will they affect myself? I read that exams will be conducted at the end of the 2 year course, but has there been any confirmed changes to the specifications of the mentioned subjects? My college is offering Maths/FM on edexcel and the sciences on AQA (for this year anyway, i'm gonna give them a ring tomorrow).

Cheers!
Reply 1
Original post by cherrysftw
x

Simply; AS and A2 are being split. At the moment they each make up 50% of the total a-level. After the change they will be 2 separate qualifications. So you'd end up with an AS qualification and A-level qualification.

Spec changes can be found on exam board websites. Some are introduced in September whilst others will be over the following years. Core/Stem subjects seem to be the earlier ones.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 8472
Simply; AS and A2 are being split. At the moment they each make up 50% of the total a-level. After the change they will be 2 separate qualifications. So you'd end up with an AS qualification and A-level qualification.

Spec changes can be found on exam board websites. Some are introduced in September whilst others will be over the following years. Core/Stem subjects seem to be the earlier ones.

Alright sweet, looks like mathematics isn't changing till 2017 which is great.

I couldn't find anything on the AQA sciences changing, does anyone know if they are or what is going to be changed?
Reply 3
Original post by cherrysftw
Alright sweet, looks like mathematics isn't changing till 2017 which is great.

I couldn't find anything on the AQA sciences changing, does anyone know if they are or what is going to be changed?

For first teaching September 2015 (already developed)

AS and A-level Biology

AS and A-level Chemistry

AS and A-level Physics

:h:
Reply 4
Original post by 8472
For first teaching September 2015 (already developed)

AS and A-level Biology

AS and A-level Chemistry

AS and A-level Physics

:h:

Cheers, found it eventually. But has anything been mentioned on the new syllabus?

EDIT: found it, cheers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5

Quick Reply

Latest