The Student Room Group

Economics or History & Economics

I'll be applying to Uni this year through UCAS, but can't decide exactly what to do (I've been deliberating for months). My favoured course is History and Economics offered by Oxford, but then the other courses I really want to apply for are all straight Econ BSc (Warwick, UCL, Bath, LSE)... With the exception of History and Economics at Oxford, and Economic history (maybe with Economics) offered by LSE there are no other History + Economics courses on offer that I like the look of (not a fan at all of modules on offer at Edinburgh)

So my query is whether there is any way I'll be able to make a competitive application for all the courses I'm interested in (probs 3 or 4 would be straight econ and 1 or 2 combined with history), or would the personal statement having elements from both simply mean I'm likely to get rejected by all my choices?
Do I have to do choose between applying for 5 Econ courses and 5 History/Econ courses or will I still be given offers for Econ at competitive Unis (Warwick, UCL) despite my personal statement containing a paragraph of history???

Advice would very welcome, thanks a lot:s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by pic
I'll be applying to Uni this year through UCAS, but can't decide exactly what to do (I've been deliberating for months). My favoured course is History and Economics offered by Oxford, but then the other courses I really want to apply for are all straight Econ BSc (Warwick, UCL, Bath, LSE)... With the exception of History and Economics at Oxford, and Economic history (maybe with Economics) offered by LSE there are no other History + Economics courses on offer that I like the look of (not a fan at all of modules on offer at Edinburgh)

So my query is whether there is any way I'll be able to make a competitive application for all the courses I'm interested in (probs 3 or 4 would be straight econ and 1 or 2 combined with history), or would the personal statement having elements from both simply mean I'm likely to get rejected by all my choices?
Do I have to do choose between applying for 5 Econ courses and 5 History/Econ courses or will I still be given offers for Econ at competitive Unis (Warwick, UCL) despite my personal statement containing a paragraph of history???

Hmm. Tricky one.

I suppose my question is: why are you drawn particularly to the History and Economics option at Oxford?

Economics at the sort of places you have in mind is very competitive. However, if they are courses that would give the opportunity to do a module or two in History (some do) then you might get away with 'diluting' the message about economics a little. I get the impression that if pushed you'd head for economics rather than history - so it's worth thinking about why that is.
Reply 2
Original post by Minerva
Hmm. Tricky one.

I suppose my question is: why are you drawn particularly to the History and Economics option at Oxford?

Economics at the sort of places you have in mind is very competitive. However, if they are courses that would give the opportunity to do a module or two in History (some do) then you might get away with 'diluting' the message about economics a little. I get the impression that if pushed you'd head for economics rather than history - so it's worth thinking about why that is.

Thanks for the reply.

I really like the course at Oxford because of the flexibility and modules on offer, the modern European history is most attractive to me. I also like the size of the Economics course (with quite a lot of maths in it), as I've felt that other Universities really consider this style of course to really just be History with a few essays on the Economics side with nothing too advanced. This course didn't seem to sacrifice either aspect, and if I was enjoying one aspect more than the other I could pick more modules of it in the 3rd year.

You raise a really good point in regards to studying Econ but taking a couple of History modules if I can, the problem is this isn't possible at all Unis, and I'm not sure if it's enough History to keep me happy :biggrin: , but yeah it's definitely something I'm considering.

Once again you're right, if I was forced to make a decision now I would choose straight Econ mainly for the reason I know I'll enjoy it and have good career prospects at the end of it. My worry if I went for the history route would be me getting rejected by Oxford and then faced with going somewhere else for a course I don't enjoy as much, and come out with worse career prospects than I would have if I'd taken straight Economics...

Thanks for your input!
Original post by pic

Just a word of advice...

Economic history =/= economics and history!
Reply 4
Original post by Mike_123
Just a word of advice...

Economic history =/= economics and history!

Urmmm thanks, I am aware of this though... I was simply stating that the Economic History course at LSE also interests me and from my understanding it would entirely feasible to write a personal statement that would garner offers for both Economic History and History & Economics!
Reply 5
Is there really no chance that a personal statement with a bit of History but the majority Economics, could be sufficient for both courses?
Reply 6
Original post by pic
Is there really no chance that a personal statement with a bit of History but the majority Economics, could be sufficient for both courses?
I'm not saying that it wouldn't be. It is potentially risky, but by no means a definite no-no.

On the career prospects issue - history graduates can do very nicely, thank you, if they want to :smile: Don't let that consideration crowd out more important issues like what really interests you.
Reply 7
Original post by Minerva
I'm not saying that it wouldn't be. It is potentially risky, but by no means a definite no-no.

On the career prospects issue - history graduates can do very nicely, thank you, if they want to :smile: Don't let that consideration crowd out more important issues like what really interests you.

Hmm this I'll speak to my Economics teacher at school and see what they think.. Sorry if my comment came across as rude or disparaging to History students! I simply meant that studying Economics would leave more options open (especially in Finance) which I stand by, not that History graduates have any sort of disadvantage in the job market!
Reply 8
Original post by pic
Hmm this I'll speak to my Economics teacher at school and see what they think.. Sorry if my comment came across as rude or disparaging to History students! I simply meant that studying Economics would leave more options open (especially in Finance) which I stand by, not that History graduates have any sort of disadvantage in the job market!
Your comment didn't come across that way at all - it's just that people often make assumptions about some degrees opening more doors than others - it does depend which doors you have in mind, but history is one of the degrees that often leads to high-flying careers. For one thing, it teaches you about making robust decisions on the basis of incomplete information, and also the importance of the audit trail - both extremely useful attributes in the workplace :smile:. I'm not saying economics can't do that too - the issue is that they are very different subjects to study, so your final choice should depend on where your interests lie, not theoretical differences in career prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending