The Student Room Group

Applying for history and economics

Just curious if anyone can tell me whether it is possible to apply to a Russel group university for history and economics without doing economics in school but doing maths? I’m A* predicted in it and I do history and politics as well. Also, does anyone know whether I put myself in a bad position if I apply for history at 3 universities and history and economics at 2?
Reply 1
You don't need economics A level and its not particularly useful for applications. You do need to be a bit cautious about applying for different courses with the same personal statement.
Original post by Jose_leao
Just curious if anyone can tell me whether it is possible to apply to a Russel group university for history and economics without doing economics in school but doing maths? I’m A* predicted in it and I do history and politics as well. Also, does anyone know whether I put myself in a bad position if I apply for history at 3 universities and history and economics at 2?

As above, economics is not require to study economics at any university in the UK I am aware of (for a joint honours or otherwise). Maths is essential though.

Regarding the latter question, potentially you may find it hard to write a suitable personal statement for all the courses that way. It's possible but you will need to think carefully about how you approach that.

Probably most straightforward to focus on some aspect of economic history and discuss ways in which the methodologies of economics can be brought to bear in historical analyses.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest