The Student Room Group

Tax Cuts for the rich.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ConorMC
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, it is true that it is likely that those who are 'forced' to pay more taxes will move away. With unilateral agreement amongst nations, that problem may be overcome. Difficult to implement, I understand. Not impossible though.

I'd disagree that it's static, as those independent variables such as willingness to pay, which dictate points on the laffer curve, change over time with attitudes of the public. Who knows, if enough people are outraged about lower taxes for the rich, maybe the rich will want to pay more (all hypothetical now of course though). Regardless, it will not be static in the long run of course. It is possible to satisfy equality and efficiency.

There are main schemes in place giving tax exemptions to charities. Not entirely convinced by that point. A global unilateral crackdown on tax avoidance will surely hurt the big corporations most.

At the end of the day, those on the right will ultimately twist and use economics to try to justify the implementation of their ideology. Efficiency is of course great, but the distribution of wealth 'must' also be factored into the implementation of policy. Well 'should' really.

well I can see that you are a raging leftie but you know >x< about economics so i'll do the unusual and follow you and answer you whenever I can but I'm off to sleep.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
http://citywire.co.uk/money/osborne-weighs-tory-calls-for-higher-rate-tax-cut/a822755

George Osborne is thinking of cutting the top rate of income tax from 45% to 40%.

So for all my banker types out there it looks like Christmas has came early.

first we need to cut the monarchy's benefits. £32million a year? What the fucck for?
Its true that lowering the tax rate on top band earners brings more money in but the question is for how long will this be? Tax revenue may slump 5 years after.

Everyone agrees we need to get Britain working but what is going to kick start the consumer culture once again? Well most people at the moment are only purchasing the basics in order to survive. Majority of Britain's Energy & Food is shipped in from foreign countries which enables millions of pounds to leave Britain everyday.

If David Cameron wants to tackle the root causes of our countries ill's he needs to draw more attention to the basic necessities of life.

First its a no brainier that we need more council housing. Second we need to increase food production in this country and this is possible if we embrace vertical growing, permaculture and hydroponics. One thing which is getting in the way of this is land ownership and the landlords are blocking progress because they have a money sign attached to the land.

Energy will come in due course but it means tackling the middle class vermin who whine about wind farms and fracking being next to their beautiful villages. I can genuinely say screw them. The needs of the majority out weigh the few.

I'm pushing a head with a plan to build a cooperative business in scotland where land is cheap and collectivism is bringing people out of poverty.
Original post by SotonianOne

My type of economics make life wonderful for the 40 million middle class, average for the 5 million rich and **** for the 20 million poor.

Majority is not "handful".

Why would you want to make life wonderful for the middle class and the rich and **** for the poor when the rich and middle class can look after themselves, the poor will suffer more and more as they have nothing and you'll take more from them and give it to the rich. Its funny that you support the rich so much because i bet you're working class, you've just been tricked into thinking these selfish ideas are helpful to everyone, i see you everywhere on this forum spouting your usual drivel.
Original post by SotonianOne
Urgh

http://www.france24.com/en/20140914-france-super-rich-fortunes-belgium

20+ billionaires have left France, taking a total of 17 billion in capital/cash with them. Probably not a product of the tax rate, it's just a coincidence they all moved between 2013-2015 in a sudden spike of emigration interest.

Who cares that two of the richest 3 French citizens are no longer French, but Belgian? Who cares that France lost 12 billion in revenue and had to make cuts to the disability allowances? It's all moral, at the end of the day. Hit the rich with taxes and get hit back, that's the way we do it in Bornbluelandia.

As long as the dirty, filthy rich are no longer resident in my utopia, I am satisfied, even if all of my citizens live in huts. Equality for all.

No.

This can be solved by very tough emigration rules.I would suggest maximising the amount someone can legally take out of a country(around £20,000),taking any more of this could be classed as theft as it is the people's money/work that has provided them with the money in the first place(a lot of it is essentially theft from the start as the goods people buy are very overpriced if they were charged correctly people wouldn't become billionaires).

Major Tax evasion is one of the worst things you can do,potentially worse than murder, as people will die as the Government can't afford to reduce austerity causing them to stop the income to the poor and disabled that they need to survive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by harry734
Why would you want to make life wonderful for the middle class and the rich and **** for the poor when the rich and middle class can look after themselves, the poor will suffer more and more as they have nothing and you'll take more from them and give it to the rich. Its funny that you support the rich so much because i bet you're working class, you've just been tricked into thinking these selfish ideas are helpful to everyone, i see you everywhere on this forum spouting your usual drivel.

Yes this is exactly what I've thought if you had to save money and make cuts you should automatically think you can't cut the poor/working class as they are already struggling to survive and need what money they have, there is little room to cut.Where as for the middle class there is some room to cut and for very rich people there is a absolutely enormous room to cut and since these rich people actually caused the financial crisis cutting their income through taxes would seem justified.
Original post by Dalek1099
Yes this is exactly what I've thought if you had to save money and make cuts you should automatically think you can't cut the poor/working class as they are already struggling to survive and need what money they have, there is little room to cut.Where as for the middle class there is some room to cut and for very rich people there is a absolutely enormous room to cut and since these rich people actually caused the financial crisis cutting their income through taxes would seem justified.
exactly right
http://citywire.co.uk/money/osborne-weighs-tory-calls-for-higher-rate-tax-cut/a822755

George Osborne is thinking of cutting the top rate of income tax from 45% to 40%.

So for all my banker types out there it looks like Christmas has came early.

So its ok for poor people to sponge-off wealthy people, but its bad for wealthy people to only pay 40% tax?

You idiot.
Original post by Yellow636
wait what?

We voted in Conservatives, and the rich are getting tax breaks??? Who would of thought?

"the rich"

wah wah- hes got more money than me.
Original post by Bornblue
guys don't focus on the millions of starving and homeless people.

Who all received a free education?
You can stick your laffer curve and any other curve which you use to justify your barbaric ideology and cuts to the most vulnerable in society where the sun don't shine, darling.

Translated as:

You have a point but I can't accept it, so I'll just insult you.
AND the free market capitalist plays his trump card -
If we tax the rich people they'll all pack up their stuff and leave the country within seconds.
You know you're beaten when you use that made up, pathetic line of reasoning.
Of course they will darling. Despite there being not a shred of evidence to back that up

Yeah its not like lots of rich people live in Monaco/Dubai because there's no tax there........ oh wait............
Its true that lowering the tax rate on top band earners brings more money in but the question is for how long will this be? Tax revenue may slump 5 years after.

Everyone agrees we need to get Britain working but what is going to kick start the consumer culture once again? Well most people at the moment are only purchasing the basics in order to survive. Majority of Britain's Energy & Food is shipped in from foreign countries which enables millions of pounds to leave Britain everyday.

If David Cameron wants to tackle the root causes of our countries ill's he needs to draw more attention to the basic necessities of life.

First its a no brainier that we need more council housing. Second we need to increase food production in this country and this is possible if we embrace vertical growing, permaculture and hydroponics. One thing which is getting in the way of this is land ownership and the landlords are blocking progress because they have a money sign attached to the land.

Energy will come in due course but it means tackling the middle class vermin who whine about wind farms and fracking being next to their beautiful villages. I can genuinely say screw them. The needs of the majority out weigh the few.

I'm pushing a head with a plan to build a cooperative business in scotland where land is cheap and collectivism is bringing people out of poverty.

Wow, I actually didn't read one of your posts and think you're a loony leftie.

At least you have the balls to admit increasing tax will reduce revenues because wealthy people would relocate.

The poor have nothing because they were too stupid to take the opportunities offered, so they deserve to be poor.
Original post by billydisco
The poor have nothing because they were too stupid to take the opportunities offered, so they deserve to be poor.
Haha if you're not a troll you seriously need to get an education.
Original post by Dalek1099
This can be solved by very tough emigration rules.I would suggest maximising the amount someone can legally take out of a country(around £20,000),taking any more of this could be classed as theft as it is the people's money/work that has provided them with the money in the first place(a lot of it is essentially theft from the start as the goods people buy are very overpriced if they were charged correctly people wouldn't become billionaires).

Major Tax evasion is one of the worst things you can do,potentially worse than murder, as people will die as the Government can't afford to reduce austerity causing them to stop the income to the poor and disabled that they need to survive.

You can see how the USSR ended-up killing millions of its citizens when you read left-wing crap like the above.

So its theft for somebody legitimately earning money, but its not theft you trying to prevent them having access to their money? By the way, what you just described is actually "theft" per definition of the law, depriving the owner of their asset......
Haha if you're not a troll you seriously need to get an education.

If i'm wrong, you would have replied back something with more substance than that......

Is education in this country free?
Are libraries free?
Do colleges provide free courses for poor people?
Do universities provide loans for fees?

Yes, yes, yes, yes

So whats the excuse not for being poor, but for having no qualifications (because the poor aren't qualified and just unlucky- they have no qualifications).

They had the opportunity, they couldnt be bothered, they're poor.
So its ok for poor people to sponge-off wealthy people, but its bad for wealthy people to only pay 40% tax?

You idiot.

Its the wealthy that sponge off the poor by charging extortionate prices for their goods and actually when indirect taxes are included, the poor pay a greater proportion of the tax than the rich.

The poor work hard in the working class jobs they do or tasks they have to do on Job Seekers Allowance(long training courses,job applications,forced volunteering) but they don't have the natural talent, resources or contacts that the wealthy do.Earnings aren't really correlated with hard work(this is partially got to do with the tendency of businesses to charge extortionate prices and thus earn high income through what is essentially theft) but with where you skills lie and if you have no/little skills you become long term unemployed.
If i'm wrong, you would have replied back something with more substance than that......

Is education in this country free?
Are libraries free?
Do colleges provide free courses for poor people?
Do universities provide loans for fees?

Yes, yes, yes, yes

So whats the excuse not for being poor, but for having no qualifications (because the poor aren't qualified and just unlucky- they have no qualifications).

They had the opportunity, they couldnt be bothered, they're poor.
and where do you expect people to find the motivation to study when their family won't support/encourage them, the world hates them for being a 'drain' on resources, they are surrounded by crime and the criminals are there only role models? this is jus scratching the surface but if you use a bit of empathy/common sense you'll realise being born into a family that put you into eton will make become a success a doddle, also with no money, poor people will want to start earning money, rather than get more debt, its called instant gratification and its common in a capitalist society that makes you want materialistic rubbish, when you have nothing. Like i said, educate yourself.
and where do you expect people to find the motivation to study when their family won't support/encourage them, the world hates them for being a 'drain' on resources, they are surrounded by crime and the criminals are there only role models? this is jus scratching the surface but if you use a bit of empathy/common sense you'll realise being born into a family that put you into eton will make become a success a doddle, also with no money, poor people will want to start earning money, rather than get more debt, its called instant gratification and its common in a capitalist society that makes you want materialistic rubbish, when you have nothing. Like i said, educate yourself.

You mean people need external support to wish to better themselves? I guess this is yet another reason people keep themselves stuck at the bottom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending