The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Question?

Hey guys, i went to the hosuign talkign tonight, should have really asked but was a bit embarassed if it was a stupid question:

Is the contract for 52 weeks or for just the 30 or so we are at university.
As you can imagine paying 80 a week for 30 (2400) or 52 (4160) is very different, and could seriosuly affect my living arrangements.

Would appreciate it if someone could help

Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
As I understand it most houses are 11 or 12 month lets, meaning you would have to pay for the full year (or almost all of it). I think.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
It depends on the landlord, I do know of one lucky person who only has a 30 week let. The vast majority however, will be 12 month contracts
Reply 3
Yep they tend not to be weekly lets but rather monthly. And the two most popular options are:

12 month let (July 2007 - June 2008) - the most popular one you are likely to find, though some landlords will give a "Summer Rent Concession" whereby you pay less rent during the summer months that you are away. Others MAY give you an actual "Vacation Rent Concession" so you don't pay as much during all your vacations.

HOWEVER I very very much doubt ANYONE gives you an option of not paying anything at all during the vacations.

The other option tends to be a 9-month rent, from October 2007 to June 2008. This means you don't pay anything during the summer (because you don't have the house) but will pay the whole 9 months. The best option if you don't want the house for the summer! I managed to get this last year and it made my rent SOOOO much cheaper! :biggrin:

As someone said - it differs on landlords, just make sure when you talk to them you are SURE of the deal that you are making. Even if it says on the website like "Summer Rent Concession" - ASK the landlord about this and make sure it's not just like £2 less a week, lol! :smile:
Reply 4
My landlord is a dodgy ****, unfortunately... and so he was definitely out for moneygrabbing purposes. Joker.

I'm slowly compiling a list of all that's gone wrong, so when my exams are over, I'm about to leave Durham, my things are packed and ready to go... and I am walking past his house (near me) to get to my dad's car, I am going to drop through his box the most well-written, soul-destroying collection of verbal binnings anyone in Durham will ever be likely to receive. The absolute ****ing bastard that he is!
Reply 5
RobbieC
My landlord is a dodgy ****, unfortunately... and so he was definitely out for moneygrabbing purposes. Joker.

I'm slowly compiling a list of all that's gone wrong, so when my exams are over, I'm about to leave Durham, my things are packed and ready to go... and I am walking past his house (near me) to get to my dad's car, I am going to drop through his box the most well-written, soul-destroying collection of verbal binnings anyone in Durham will ever be likely to receive. The absolute ****ing bastard that he is!

Make sure you get your deposit back first!!!

I didn't get my deposit back until the middle of summer (although late, it was a nice surprise to my bank account!)....after the bugger had taken off charges for "cleaning the windows" and "mowing the lawn". Damn him :frown:
Did I ever share my story about my landlord last year I wonder?

Unfortunately we were stuck with a 12 month contract but we had it signed at £65 a week which included water. I know it was very pricey for where we were living but it was a lovely 4 bedroomed house(all bedrooms upstairs) and had two bathrooms and a dishwasher/washing machine and tumble dryer....

When I arrived with my things I noticed that there were a whole lot of things missing. For one he said that we would have an itinerary of things for what was in the house(this never materialised) and beds were actually broken, the back gate didn't have a lock on it(which would cancel out all of our insurance)... so I rang him up and he immediately said that he was going to put the rent up to £70 a week, because there had been a mistake beforehand!

I argued with him over the phone on my first day in the house that because he signed the contract that it was legally binding and he could not put up the rent without getting us to agree and sign a new contract(which we never would).

So for all those house-hunting, please don't get messed around by landlords and contracts. If you have any doubts, express them as soon as possible. It's not true that all landlords are money grabbing 'cabrones' but unfortunately there is a significant number who are.
Reply 7
ok.. thanks for clearing that up... more worried now!
Reply 8
My dad is a landlord .. He is cool though but just wanted to remind everyone that tenants can be hell also!
Reply 9
The problem you get is that the landlords and tenants never get the landlords and tenants they deserve, leading to cynical attitudes taking over.

Landlords may have tenants that don't pay, so they protect themselves by insisting on joint contracts rather than individual ones. This means if your housemate fails their exams or drops out then you have to pay their rent if they don't, and can be thrown out if you don't cover their rent. Equally you can sue your ex-housemate for what they owe you, but its down to you to chase them, not your landlord.

You will also get tenants that trash the place, so the landlord may be loathed to put in nice furniture knowing full well it will only last a year and cost more to replace than could easily be taken out of deposits.

On the other side you will get landlords that treat the deposit as extra income, so the tenants withold rent to the value of the deposit knowing that they couldn't be evicted in time before their contract expires.

You will get landlords that leave the property in such a state at the beginning of the contract that the tenants don't care about keeping it from getting worse.

Probably the worst landlord/tenant dispute I've heard of was when a group had signed for a house around this time of year, paid rent throughout the summer but were told in no uncertain terms to go away by the occupant of the house when they came to move in. It turned out the house was in the name of the wife of the landlord, and as they had split up she had taken the house for herself. Legally they were told they had no right to evict her, but they could sue for their deposit and rent back, but they still had nowhere to live. Palatinate reported on it at the time. I think they were told to go home to their parents until sufficient freshers dropped out and there was space for them in college.
Reply 10
Yikes!

Latest